MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pipes, Boost & Juice (https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipes-boost-and-juice-15/)
-   -   Rattling sound that eventually goes away (https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipes-boost-and-juice/702437-rattling-sound-that-eventually-goes-away.html)

a_lopez1975 10-21-2013 11:30 PM

Rattling sound that eventually goes away

Ok, so I recently installed the BBK After Cat X-Pipe on my 2012 5.0. The resonators deleted as well. Now here's the thing, when I start up the car, the sound is smooth and perfect (initial start in the morning when I am on my way to work). However, when pulling off into the road and at the RPM level of 2,000 in 2nd gear, there's a rattling sound (espeically when revving). After a mile or two the sound goes away and doesn't come back through out the duration of my ride. Even when I go back to the RPM level of 2,000 in second gear the sound is gone. So the rattling sound only occurs when I initially start up the car when not in use after a few hours or so.

The fact that the rattling sound goes away eventually has me believing that there's nothing loose in the exhaust system. So my question, is this something common with BBK products or X-Pipes in general???

I'm also running the Roush Axle Back which has really toned down a bit with this x pipe (except at WOT because it does scream then). Thinking about going with the Bassani X-Pipe or Off Road Magna Flow X pipe...

Just wanted to get a sencond insight.... Thanks...

uberstang1 10-22-2013 01:03 PM

If installed properly it shouldn't be rattling or making any kind of noise. Something is loose or touching a part of the chasis or suspension.

a_lopez1975 10-22-2013 08:39 PM

Thanks, plan on taking it to the auto shop this weekend and verify. Also check it out myself as well...

JB04GT 11-05-2013 01:55 PM

I had the same rattling as you described on this 2013. Turned out to be one of my Roush mufflers. I only had it for 8 months at that time. American Muscle replaced the whole set free of charge. Had the new ones installed and no more rattling. Galpin Motorsports found the problem by putting the car on a lift, checking to see if everything was tight, and then taking a rubber hammer and hitting all of the exhaust. When they hit the driver side Roush muffler, you could hear the rattling on the inside.

Edit: I'd also like to note that the rattling happened right after I got my resonators deleted. Weird!

a_lopez1975 11-29-2013 10:33 PM

Thanks for the response. Didn't have much Time to Check it out (getting ready to deploy). But i will get to it eventually.

Slowbra302 12-14-2013 02:41 PM

Had some rattling almost chirping sound (like the TOB was going) from 1400 to 2000. Apparently from my 3 ich straight pipes at those rpm the vibrated the most and would barely touch the chassis enough to chirp or rattle. Little muscle and the sound was gone :) keep us posted!

a_lopez1975 12-24-2013 12:45 AM

I will, unfortunately, I'm back in Afghanistan for my 5th tour

a_lopez1975 01-14-2014 03:20 AM

Well, I'm still here in Afghanistan, however a few friends of my from a car club that I'm in are going to install some exhaust items I purchased this month. They are pretty good at working on vehicles, so I told them about the problem I'm having with the Xpipe. Worst case scenerio, if there is nothing they can do about the sound, then I'll be purchasing a new Xpipe. Currently looking at the Bassani After Cat X... Anyways, i will keep you guys posted...