Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Best "bang for the buck" Exhaust for 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Best "bang for the buck" Exhaust for 4.6L

What's the best "bang for the buck" in an exhaust system for better sound and performance for a 4.6L?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 AM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

I found an O/R H-Pipe ($275-$300) is an awesome addition, best Bang for my Buck - even sounds great with stock mufflers. Simple install and several choices out there.

Some opt for the O/R X-Pipe - to each his own I guess, but I found the H-Pipe to be a little more aggressive sounding and offers a deeper throaty growl.

O/R (or Off Road) Pipes are usually not emission friendly in many states because they do not have a Catalytic Converter. This significantly reduces the cost. Mid-Pipes with CATs are around $500 or more. Still a good addition but if you can find a work around with your state laws emission requirements, O/R pipes are the BEST!

I'm sure it adds a few ponies too -- but not much, just barely enough to notice a slight difference in performance.

======= RUNNER UPS ===============

+ CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM - there are some full exhaust systems that will compliment your X/H Pipe for around $500. Borla, Flowmaster and a few others get near the $800-900 mark. Again, a simple install here and it really opens the exhaust note while adding a bit of power.

+ AXLEBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM - there a number of great NOISE makers from Borla, Bassani, SLP, etc. to consider too. I call them noise makers because they aren't going to add power but will certainly turn heads with a much louder throttle. Not bad for around $350.

Outside of that - you're talking about a CAM and/or Long Tube headers if you really want to go LOUD - but those aren't too cheap and easy to install.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:11 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by azdevil1
I found an O/R H-Pipe ($275-$300) is an awesome addition, best Bang for my Buck - even sounds great with stock mufflers. Simple install and several choices out there.

Some opt for the O/R X-Pipe - to each his own I guess, but I found the H-Pipe to be a little more aggressive sounding and offers a deeper throaty growl.

O/R (or Off Road) Pipes are usually not emission friendly in many states because they do not have a Catalytic Converter. This significantly reduces the cost. Mid-Pipes with CATs are around $500 or more. Still a good addition but if you can find a work around with your state laws emission requirements, O/R pipes are the BEST!

I'm sure it adds a few ponies too -- but not much, just barely enough to notice a slight difference in performance.

======= RUNNER UPS ===============

+ CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM - there are some full exhaust systems that will compliment your X/H Pipe for around $500. Borla, Flowmaster and a few others get near the $800-900 mark. Again, a simple install here and it really opens the exhaust note while adding a bit of power.

+ AXLEBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM - there a number of great NOISE makers from Borla, Bassani, SLP, etc. to consider too. I call them noise makers because they aren't going to add power but will certainly turn heads with a much louder throttle. Not bad for around $350.

Outside of that - you're talking about a CAM and/or Long Tube headers if you really want to go LOUD - but those aren't too cheap and easy to install.
Thanx for the great reply! Appreciated! Are their any muffler replacements that can be used with stock pipes that are worth considering?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 AM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

I believe there are several axleback systems that will fit stock if that is what you are asking. Bassani AB Race Muffler Exhaust is my favorite. Bassani mufflers sound great!
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM
lindsay@borla
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
What's the best "bang for the buck" in an exhaust system for better sound and performance for a 4.6L?
Hi Mr. D,

For better sound and performance, check out our cat-back systems offered for your Mustang! Our ATAK exhaust (part #140382) will give your Mustang a much LOUDER and more aggressive sound when compared to the stock exhaust. Our S-Type system (part #140135) will give your car a more aggressive, throatier sound. Our Touring system (part #140209) will give your Mustang a mild growl that’s slightly louder than the stock exhaust. All of these systems come with dual 4” polished tips, are made of high quality, 300-series austenitic stainless steel, and come with our Million Mile Warranty. If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call at 805-986-8600. Happy exhaust hunting!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

There is no exhaust that's good "bang for the buck". Exhaust is just about the sound. An O/R midpipe may free up a little bit of power, but it's really not much. Axlebacks and even catbacks do nothing or very close to nothing for performance. The only exhaust upgrade you can do that will give you a significant increase in power is headers, so don't worry about performance when looking for an axle back (which is a muffler replacement like you asked for), just look for what sounds good to you. For a midpipe, if you don't have emissions testing and like loud you can get an O/R pipe and get a little bit of extra performance, like 5-10 HP maybe.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
There is no exhaust that's good "bang for the buck". Exhaust is just about the sound. An O/R midpipe may free up a little bit of power, but it's really not much. Axlebacks and even catbacks do nothing or very close to nothing for performance. The only exhaust upgrade you can do that will give you a significant increase in power is headers, so don't worry about performance when looking for an axle back (which is a muffler replacement like you asked for), just look for what sounds good to you. For a midpipe, if you don't have emissions testing and like loud you can get an O/R pipe and get a little bit of extra performance, like 5-10 HP maybe.
Are you saying that there are no mufflers that make exhaust flow more freely that are much of an improvement from stock mufflers?
My experience from building cars for 40 years is that exhaust systems produce the least amount of performance increase except for pretty radical engines. In my experience with small block Chevy engines in Corvettes and 55 to 57 (327/350 CID) Chevys going from a cast Corvette manifolds and standard O/R mufflers and pipes to headers and larger pipes creates more sound and maintenance problems and very little performance improvement. In small block Chevys doing the heads well and balancing the engine is the critical factor in a good running engine.

I think the most "bang for the buck" in a Mustang (for small budget) are a CAI and a tune, and (for a larger budget) a supercharger with a good tune! I'm sure most all modifications have some benefit, but not as much "bang for the buck".

I'm always looking for "bang for the buck" and wondering if their is a simply muffler only change that improves HP a little while giving a more throaty sound while not getting tickets! I'm in California, so I have to be a little more conservative to get through emissions. That's OK, because I am old enough to remember how bad the air was in the 70' before those "horrible" emission controls. I couldn't drive with the windows down without my eyes burning, and school kids had lots of days they could not exercise outside! I'm all for performance believe me, but not at the expense of my lungs!
Old 03-30-2014, 12:23 AM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

Best Bang for Buck mod?

CAI and tuner is good. But I really think 4:10 gears are a better bang. Maybe cost me $400 installed for the gears and makes a huge difference in gears 3-5. Although, my MPG sucks now - but hey, it was my favorite mod so far
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Are you saying that there are no mufflers that make exhaust flow more freely that are much of an improvement from stock mufflers?
My experience from building cars for 40 years is that exhaust systems produce the least amount of performance increase except for pretty radical engines. In my experience with small block Chevy engines in Corvettes and 55 to 57 (327/350 CID) Chevys going from a cast Corvette manifolds and standard O/R mufflers and pipes to headers and larger pipes creates more sound and maintenance problems and very little performance improvement. In small block Chevys doing the heads well and balancing the engine is the critical factor in a good running engine.

I think the most "bang for the buck" in a Mustang (for small budget) are a CAI and a tune, and (for a larger budget) a supercharger with a good tune! I'm sure most all modifications have some benefit, but not as much "bang for the buck".

I'm always looking for "bang for the buck" and wondering if their is a simply muffler only change that improves HP a little while giving a more throaty sound while not getting tickets! I'm in California, so I have to be a little more conservative to get through emissions. That's OK, because I am old enough to remember how bad the air was in the 70' before those "horrible" emission controls. I couldn't drive with the windows down without my eyes burning, and school kids had lots of days they could not exercise outside! I'm all for performance believe me, but not at the expense of my lungs!
Yep, exactly. No mufflers you install on your car are going to make any difference in performance. If you got 1 HP from a muffler I'd be impressed. A midpipe has a little more ability to free the exhaust, especially if you lose cats. Headers have the biggest impact, but are also a huge pain in the *** and REALLY loud (all depends on what you're going for). If you're in Cali then unfortunately anything that would really improve performance in exhaust is off limits to you.

A CAI and tune is definitely the best bang for your buck for a first mod. Then gears like azdevil said, but they'll need the tuner (for speedo recalibration) anyway. Betweeen those two the ole butt dyno will be quite pleased and it'll all be well under $1000. I dare say nothing will give you as much of a boost (or at least the feel since gears don't actually ADD power, just put it down faster) until a supercharger. You could spend $3000 on cams, headers, an intake manifold and nearly any other bolt on and probably not feel as much improvement as the cai/tune/gears combo.

.... I really need to get my 4.10s for my car. Just need to finish my suspension first. One project at a time.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Not to disagree, but I prefer high gears because I'm not much for leaving a light fast! I love winding out 2nd gear going down a clear highway. Second and third gear is where I play. It also has the advantage of better gas mileage. With a supercharger higher rear end gears work better, as getting off the line is even harder with 4.10's.

I think the "biggest bank for the buck" is get a supercharger and leave everything else alone! It makes for a much more practical car than dumping a lot of money into a super built engine! My car drives as mild as a stocker, until you put your foot in it! It's a big HP gain with no downside. Unless a person just wants to pour money into a car an CAI and a tune is a good place to stop! From there on "It's LESS bang for the buck!" Just one person's opinion!

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-30-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Best "bang for the buck" Exhaust for 4.6L