Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

4.6L Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:30 PM
MasterLanMan

Default 4.6L Supercharger

Hey everyone,

I have a 2003 Mustang GT Vert, and I'm looking into superchargers. I want a Kenne Bell, but I know how expensive they can be and I can't really find a good deal on a used one. Any other alternatives or am I looking in the wrong places? Thank you for your time.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

you wont find a used kenne bell, if you do its missing pieces or needs a rebuild. i got one this spring and am loving it, nothing like instant hp and torque. if you are like me and dont plan on ever getting rid of the car, its worth it in my opinion. however there are other less expensive options for FI. i just like the way my engine bay isnt cluttered up like with a centri setup. personal preference. good luck
Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 PM
MasterLanMan

I see your sig, it looks like a very nice setup. Couple of questions:
1.) Did you buy it new?
2.) Did you buy a boost-a-pump as well?
3.) Did you upgrade any other parts of the engine/suspension to handle 400+ HP?
4.) Are you content with the 2.1 with 9 PSI? Or would you rather have more/less?

Sorry for all the questions, you just have my exact car minus the Vert and I'm curious what your thoughts are on the matter. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:01 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

1=yes
2= come with the kit
3= other than exhaust, gears, a short throw, its all stock, but shotck can handle up to 450RWHP if tuned properly, who know maybe more, but 450 seems to be a safe line in the sand
4= lol, the story is true no matter what you get for HP its never enough, i would like more, but the next kit up is 14 psi, basically a pulley and tune adjust, but i will have to build the motor to handle that, and i will someday. its a great bump in power, you will be happy, but in a while will get the itch for more power, trust me
Old 09-16-2015, 01:55 AM
MasterLanMan

Damn, I think I have my sights set on a Kenne Bell then. Also what's your mpg right now? I'm just curious what I should be expecting when I install a supercharger.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:42 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i went from 20 down to 17 mpg combined, this is in part to me loving what it does when i get on the gas and part to a wonky MAF that i got with the big tube kit (a new one is in the mail covered under KB's warranty). after that is replaced i expect to pick up at least 1 mpg. when i ordered my kit i talked to mike over at KB and he was a great help, had all the answers to my questions, and seemed to truely want to hear back from me after the install to see how i liked it, i was impressed. after a month or so my car started running rich, i am a ford tech so diagnosing it was no biggie, but i called KB and got ahold of their tuner Ken, we emailed a few times to discuss datalogs and both came to the conclusion that my MAF was faulty, and they are 2 day shipping me a replacement for no charge, i was impressed again. good luck
Old 09-16-2015, 01:34 PM
MasterLanMan

One more question about reliability. How reliable would you say your engine is after installing a supercharger? This car is my DD and I really can't afford to blow an engine XD
Old 09-16-2015, 02:32 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

mine had 73k on it at the time of the install. i have only 5k on it since then but never misses a beat. i did some searching on the 2.1 kit, and found a few posts by people that installed them when they first came out and have 50k on them with no problems, they just change the oil in the blower every 12k miles and keep on driving
Old 09-16-2015, 04:35 PM
MasterLanMan

Sounds good to me. Sold on the Kenne Bell.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:39 PM
MasterLanMan

http://forums.corral.net/forums/powe...500-miles.html

How does this look?

Quick Reply: 4.6L Supercharger