Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Kenne bell question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:09 PM
FLYBOY_GT
1st Gear Member

Default Kenne bell question

I have a 99 GT with stock internals. I'm looking at the Kenne Bell 2.1 kit with 14lb pulley. They advertise that it produces a little over 500 hp with all their add-ons and tune. So I come here and research posts for the last week and I can't find many people who are running this set-up most have a 9lb pulley and push 400ish hp. Is there a reason why? Is 500 hp too much for stock internals? I even found a post where a guy had detuned down to 412 from a much higher hp setup.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2017, 12:42 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FLYBOY_GT
I have a 99 GT with stock internals. I'm looking at the Kenne Bell 2.1 kit with 14lb pulley. They advertise that it produces a little over 500 hp with all their add-ons and tune. So I come here and research posts for the last week and I can't find many people who are running this set-up most have a 9lb pulley and push 400ish hp. Is there a reason why? Is 500 hp too much for stock internals? I even found a post where a guy had detuned down to 412 from a much higher hp setup.

Thanks

I put a Kenne Belle on my '89 5.0, long ago, and while I can't tell you the HP, I can relate a few facts. Previously, I had installed a 9" Ford, used 3.89 gears as I recall, car was T-5 OD, about 90K on eng (& car). Eng. was otherwise stock, very clean, used no oil, solid.

Never really pushed it long or hard, car felt twice fast as stock (subjective, I know, but how else to describe a mental timeslip?).

Our domestic situation deteriorating, I advertised the car for sale. It looked immaculate, was then about 4 years old, Maroon color, shone like the Devil. Young college student bought it. As he pulled away after paying me off, I noticed a puff of blue smoke.......probable broken piston ring, I thought. I felt like ****, not only for the guy, but also that an otherwise really nice 5.0 HO had been fuc&ed up by supercharging.

I believe it was a 6LB. blower, but might have been 9. I learned a lesson..........imp

Last edited by imp; 07-24-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:14 PM
edstampfli

Default Kenne bell

9 lbs is the most that they say is safe. I ran mine at 11 for years and made about 430 rwhp. I finally blew it to pieces two years ago. Now I run 12 lbs with blower cams and make 500 rwhp. My tuner actually says not to go over 12 with the 2.1 because heat will be an issue. I might try it anyways