Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Eaton m-90 supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:15 PM
phillip

Default Eaton m-90 supercharger

i was wondering if the eaton m-90 or the m-112(cobra) supercharger would work on my 01 4.6 gt? i doubt it, but i am just wondering cuz i see some of these prices for pretty cheap.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:50 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Eaton m-90 supercharger

The M90 will work. Thats the blower that Saleen used on the 99-04 GT's. The 112's are for the 4V so the runners for the intake would be a little different.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:10 PM
5.0family
2nd Gear Member

whould a eaton m90 or m112 whatever whould fit a 90 5.0 i was lookin to a roots or screw type but kenny is soo explensive and i heard a ported roots is very good
Old 12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

you heardc wrong. if your on a budget get a vortech A trim
Old 12-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel
The M90 will work. Thats the blower that Saleen used on the 99-04 GT's. The 112's are for the 4V so the runners for the intake would be a little different.
M90 was used on 99-02 S281 SCs(GT engine). Unfortunately it'll be expensive and hard to track down the saleen intake manifold.

03-04 S281 SCs(GT engine) had Whipple twin-screw SCs.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:26 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

thats not true. they had eaton twin screws and it was still called the M90. only the s281E had the whipple
Old 12-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

There has to be akit that has everything you need to add an Eaton type, I'd think. Magnusen makes kits for so many cars. A vortech is one option by an M-90 would add more low end torque even if it might fall a bit short of the voretech on the high end: positive displacement SCs like the Eaton and all screw or modified roots type units (and roots themselves) build boost at lower revs than a centrifugal. An M-112 is probably more than you need. You can mess up a car by putting to much blower on it, then it only bulds boost up at the top, the 90 cubic inch blower is just about right: a rough rule of thumb is to triple the blower cubes to get the appopriate displacement for the engine its on: 3x90 = 270 which is close to the 4.6's 281, an M-112 is what you'd use on a 5.4 (112x3 = 336 which is right close to 5.5 liters). I had one on a Chevy LS6 for several years and it was great.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: David_K

thats not true. they had eaton twin screws and it was still called the M90. only the s281E had the whipple
Sorry to burst your bubble. Eaton makes Roots style blowers, not twin screw. The Series IV is a 1600A whipple (screws by lysholm), not an eaton. Look at the 4 bolt pulley on the snout and the general design of it. It's just a smaller version of the Series V and infact, the series V will fit on the series IV intake manifold. The Series V is on the E and it's a 2300 whipple. How do I know this? I have the 1.6L whipple from 03-04 S281 SCs and have done a ton of research on this subject.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallstar01

Eaton makes Roots style blowers, not twin screw.
Eaton's M-90 and M-112 are technically twin screw blowers (sometimes called a modified roots type), not the true Roots impeller type. The two types are very similar in casing look, both are positive displacement designs, and both have two counterrotating "screw type thingys" locked into each other inside the case, so many people assume they are the same thing. But they are slightly different in how they function though: Roots draws in from the top and pushes out the bottom, with the impellers trapping and compressing air between them. Eaton's screw type draws from one end and pumps (screws) the air through, most of the compresson coming from trapping it against the case, then ejects out the bottom. Advantage of the screw type is that it is far easier to machine the screws (you can use modified version of screw thread machinery) than the roots impellers (requires a double offset ellipse cam on one cutter, can't be machined with standard CNC in a single set up), and it has somewhat less internal friction and is quite reliable, and of course Magnusen's brilliant vaccum bypass valve so it has virtually no losses when you aren't on the throttle. That said, a true roots blower has better chaheated and saturation characteristics at the top end and is what you do when you REALLY want lots of air flow.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 PM
PR Man

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

ORIGINAL: Fallstar01

Eaton makes Roots style blowers, not twin screw.
Eaton's M-90 and M-112 are technically twin screw blowers (sometimes called a modified roots type), not the true Roots impeller type. The two types are very similar in casing look, both are positive displacement designs, and both have two counterrotating "screw type thingys" locked into each other inside the case, so many people assume they are the same thing. But they are slightly different in how they function though: Roots draws in from the top and pushes out the bottom, with the impellers trapping and compressing air between them. Eaton's screw type draws from one end and pumps (screws) the air through, most of the compresson coming from trapping it against the case, then ejects out the bottom. Advantage of the screw type is that it is far easier to machine the screws (you can use modified version of screw thread machinery) than the roots impellers (requires a double offset ellipse cam on one cutter, can't be machined with standard CNC in a single set up), and it has somewhat less internal friction and is quite reliable, and of course Magnusen's brilliant vaccum bypass valve so it has virtually no losses when you aren't on the throttle. That said, a true roots blower has better chaheated and saturation characteristics at the top end and is what you do when you REALLY want lots of air flow.
You're right, Lee. The screw type is similar to the postive current flow pumps used in nuclear reactors because it is reliable, has no resonances in the entire bandwidth of concern, and forces a controllable flow proportional to RPM (for a hydalic fluid, with a gas its different but I'd have to look up how). No one should get cocky, though, it is also a preferred design for sewage pumps, a types used to pump semi-solid -- well, you know.

Quick Reply: Eaton m-90 supercharger