MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   ROUSH Performance (https://mustangforums.com/forum/roush-performance-129/)
-   -   2015 Mustang Roush Hood Scoop problem (https://mustangforums.com/forum/roush-performance/721602-2015-mustang-roush-hood-scoop-problem.html)

P51_GT 08-29-2015 05:03 PM

2015 Mustang Roush Hood Scoop problem

I purchased a 2015 Roush Hood Scoop and had it professionally painted and installed by Ford. After about a week I noticed some spider web cracks in the paint around the bolt on points of the hood scoop. after the weekend of continual use on very hot days the cracks spread out from the bolt on points. It looks like a circular spider web pattern from the bolt on points outward. cracks are approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch apart.

I took the car back to Ford to see what the issue was. The Paint shop said it was a product issue where the heat from the engine on the bolts plus some flex in the hood scoop is causing the scoop to flex and the paint is sinking into the grooves or spider web cracks.

Long story short I called Roush and they say it was the way the paint was done.

Has anyone else had this issue with this product or an older one and how did you get it resolved?

At the moment its been 2 months and the paint shop will repaint a new hood scoop for free provided its a new one as they say the old one is defective. Roush has not got back to me in over a week about anything so I am left in limbo. the car was supposed to be in some shows but I pulled it due to the way the scoop looks.

Kyle@ROUSH 08-31-2015 08:09 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with the paint on your hood scoop. As far as a resolution you would need to call and speak with our warranty/tech department as it sounds like you already have. We offer all the 2015 body parts pre painted as well as raw. I've yet to have any customers call me with issues regarding spider webbing. The early batch of hood scoops had some flex issues that were resolved with a service hardware kit which now comes with every scoop sold. Even on the ones sold prior to the service hardware i wasn't getting complaints of this issue which leads me to lean towards a paint issue. Regardless I would ask you please call in to our warranty/tech line on this one.

Thanks

P51_GT 09-04-2015 12:31 PM

Unfortunately I have been back and forth between the Ford Paint shop and Roush Warranty. Ford would paint a new Roush Hood Scoop and install it for free and Roush is still pointing at the paint as the culprit.

So I either have to purchase a new hood scoop or pay to have the old one repainted. Either way I am left with a hole in my wallet that was not expected nor appreciated.

I was hoping this had happened to someone else to get some guidance but....

bluebeastsrt 09-23-2015 01:50 AM

What does the hardware fix consist of? I have about a 1/4 inch gap on the back of the scoop toward the back of the hood that I cant get to flatten out.

Kyle@ROUSH 09-23-2015 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt (Post 8509112)
What does the hardware fix consist of? I have about a 1/4 inch gap on the back of the scoop toward the back of the hood that I cant get to flatten out.

Check your inbox in a minute

Thanks

P51_GT 09-24-2015 06:35 PM

The fix I was forced to go with was I had to pay another Body shop to strip and repaint the hood scoop for me. When it was stripped there were indeed cracks/grooves in the plastic of the hood scoop that caused the paint to sink into and create the spider web effect. The new paint shop said it appears to be created from heat and flexing of the product which is exactly what the original Ford shop had insisted on.
The new paint shop fixed the grooves and put a flex additive in the primer and paint in hopes that it would not occur again. If the spiderweb pattern reappears next summer in the high heat I am on my own to have it replaced again.

On a side note: Ford said that if I had ordered the scoop from them they would have replaced it for me but at the time I thought I would save a few hundred dollars and order it myself. In the end it cost me more. Live and Learn.

Kyle@ROUSH 09-25-2015 10:21 AM

That certainly is odd, must have been an isolated issue as mentioned these things fly off the shelf and this would be the first one i've heard of spider webbing on.

fifteenRS2 07-04-2016 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle@ROUSH (Post 8505387)
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with the paint on your hood scoop. As far as a resolution you would need to call and speak with our warranty/tech department as it sounds like you already have. We offer all the 2015 body parts pre painted as well as raw. I've yet to have any customers call me with issues regarding spider webbing. The early batch of hood scoops had some flex issues that were resolved with a service hardware kit which now comes with every scoop sold. Even on the ones sold prior to the service hardware i wasn't getting complaints of this issue which leads me to lean towards a paint issue. Regardless I would ask you please call in to our warranty/tech line on this one.

Thanks

Kyle, This may be a bit of a thread steal (so sorry OP) but I must have one of the early scoops that you speak of and I can't really find a better place to ask this question. I recently picked up a lightly used 2015 RS2 and the scoop lifts up on all four corners when it cools off and flattens out when hot. The dealer doesn't seem to be aware of the bracket fix as I have called them twice and they say both times, "Roush is aware of it and they are working on a fix". In my eyes, this should be warranty work. Is there anything official I can point my dealer to so that I can get this fixed?

fifteenRS2 07-04-2016 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by fifteenRS2 (Post 8551094)
Kyle, This may be a bit of a thread steal (so sorry OP) but I must have one of the early scoops that you speak of and I can't really find a better place to ask this question. I recently picked up a lightly used 2015 RS2 and the scoop lifts up on all four corners when it cools off and flattens out when hot. The dealer doesn't seem to be aware of the bracket fix as I have called them twice and they say both times, "Roush is aware of it and they are working on a fix". In my eyes, this should be warranty work. Is there anything official I can point my dealer to so that I can get this fixed?

New to Roush warranty work and just found you warranty phone number. I suppose I should call that huh? :icon_gunhead:

Kyle@ROUSH 07-06-2016 02:16 PM

Yes please give our warranty dept a call, we came up a solution to that some time ago.