Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need Suspension Mod Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:16 PM
pinoy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need Suspension Mod Suggestions

I am also forward to upgrading my mustang's suspension. This topic really helped me out. Steeda does make the panhard bar and panhard brace. Here is the link!

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/suspension.html

It is the second and third item in the mods. Well i guess i gotta save up for these mods next!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:51 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

ORIGINAL: Bob D.
I'm curious as to your ranking of these three options. As soon as my wallet recovers from some recent mods, I am going to add some kind of subframe connectors to my 'vert.
1. The vert already has a significant amount of bracing beyond the coup (thus the weight!)
2. I believe the vert's rear braces will interfere with everything I have seen for coups so far (not to mention make them redundant)
3. I have heard that front strut braces for the Vert are slightly more useful than a coup, but so far it seems to buy you little to add bracing..

You can stiffen any car, but make sure as you are looking that you are getting Vert specific info - they are NOT the same cars...
1. The vert doesn't have any more chassis stiffening than the coupe as the car was designed to be convertible from the get go. The extra weight is from the convertible top frame and mechanism. In fact, the vert is "slightly" softer than the coupe, as is all convertibles. It's only "slightly" softer because, as mentioned, the S197 was designed for convertible duty from the start.
2. Null and void
3. Null and void

To answer another poster's question, I have the BMR tubular subframe connectors. I considered the boxed set, but I'll never be pushing 600+ HP and I didn't want the excess weight for my intended goal. The tubulars are fabulous, to me! The difference is VERY apparent. But, I also added BMR's rear tunnel brace and their A-arm support, so those in addition to the tubulars may be what makes it such a large difference for me. F1fan and/or somebody else claimed that the tubulars don't make much difference over stock. But for me, it was immediately apparent that I had better acceleration, less body flex, and less rearend squat (bad for draggers, great for me). I can take sharp curves at ridiculous speeds. The only thing I worry about is the cheap Kumhos snapping out from under me. So far, though, it seems I run out of nerve before they run out of lateral grip. They do tend to drift a little bit on high-speed sweepers, though. I wouldn't worry about losing grip or drifting on a track, but on the street... Definitely don't want to mash up my baby!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:00 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Actually, I belive that the 'vert does have ONE more brace than the Coupe. It is the part that ties together the legs of the K-member in the front end. Steeda calls this their "G-trac brace" and BMR calls it the "A-Arm support".

Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
Actually, I belive that the 'vert does have ONE more brace than the Coupe. It is the part that ties together the legs of the K-member in the front end. Steeda calls this their "G-trac brace" and BMR calls it the "A-Arm support".
There is that and there are 2 braces which attach to the outer frame where the steeda triangular braces mount, then to the rear unibody with a post going up to where the gastank strap mounts...

Those are the ones that would interfere with the steeda mounts...

I am sure they could be improved upon, they are heavy square-tube steel, but have not seen anything that replaces it...

I think there is one more between the rear shock towers, but now my memory from underneath the car is fuzzy...
Old 07-25-2006, 08:19 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Premi
1. The vert doesn't have any more chassis stiffening than the coupe as the car was designed to be convertible from the get go. The extra weight is from the convertible top frame and mechanism. In fact, the vert is "slightly" softer than the coupe, as is all convertibles. It's only "slightly" softer because, as mentioned, the S197 was designed for convertible duty from the start.
Except where you are wrong... (see prior response - there are at leaset 3 extra peices I know about and had to work around!)

2. Null and void
Except where you are just plain wrong[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

3. Null and void
Don't know - said it plainly - there is already an extra brace on the rear of the K-member underneath... Since I don't have the upper brace, all I did and can do is pass on what I read when looking into it which is a firm "yawn, spend your money elsewhere"

Your responses were why I suggested a careful filter on the responses...

When I rolled under the vert for the first time, I was surprised by what I saw...

BTW [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif] do you still think a flywheel is only there to start the car and attach the clutch? Cause you'd be wrong there too

I am just messing with you...
Old 07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

NOW YOU TELL ME LOL! I ordered a Steeda G Trac Brace for my vert and you're saying it already has one??? I never even bothered to look and thought I'd better order one to tie the front end together better. Anyone want a brand new Steeda brace?

Old 07-31-2006, 11:26 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs
NOW YOU TELL ME LOL! I ordered a Steeda G Trac Brace for my vert and you're saying it already has one??? I never even bothered to look and thought I'd better order one to tie the front end together better. Anyone want a brand new Steeda brace?
Look on the birhgt side, I am sure whatever steeda put there is lighter than anything I have seen under there from the factory...

The rear braces on the Vert are big heavy clunky things. I have not had to do anything with the front, so I have not looked at the front one much, but I am sure it is nice and clunky too...

Frankly, I am little surprised the coupe is missing the front one since the service manual only talks about the rear as being vert specific, but I don't have a coup lying around to check - and again, I was not looking at the front.

If someone came out with some nice tubular alloy replacements for the Vert parts that would be a good thing. Hint, Hint!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Hope you didn't get the piece of crap from Steeda that I got....bar with washers to get it to fit....like it will do any good with all those dang washers...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I have the "new design" steeda, which has no washers. It is very nice and fits my car great. I belive the older version is the one with washers.

Steeda is odd. Some of their parts are great, others are just..well...crappy, in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:45 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I got the Steeda tir-angular sub-frame mounts and looked at the instructions and then the under of my vert. I'm not sure if they will work. Is there a problem? I did see I already have the G-Trak brace already..

Quick Reply: Need Suspension Mod Suggestions