Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rear springs only.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:38 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear springs only.

I read a post last week that stated "all I had to do to level out my GT was to replace the stock rear springs with a set of Roush rear springs. So I buy the springs and now I read other posts that inform that a new panhard will have to be installed if the rear is lowered. Not to mention an adjustment of the drive shaft angle. Is this the case? Or does that only apply when one slams all four corners to the earth? I want the level look, but I'll sell the Roush springs before I go through all the other stuff. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:44 PM
05ROUSHER
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear springs only.

I put the Roush Springs on and it lowered the car 3/4". It really leveled the car very well. I did not change the pinon angle or have to get a adjustable panhard bar. I don't think these are any concerns until you lower about a 1 1/2". You should be just fine with the Roush Springs.

Good luck
Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

The adjustable Panhard bar is not expensive. $200 or less
Old 08-23-2006, 12:36 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

If you lower the rear of your car then you are changing your rear axle offset and your pinion angle. It's simple physics. To get it corrected, you need the ability to adjust your pinion angle (generally that means adjustable LCAs) and the panhard bar.

Is this enough to be a cause for concern? I suppose that depends on what you're asking. You can simply drop in the Roush springs and leave it at that. Your car won't collapse into a pile of parts three miles down the road, but it is also a fact that your rear end geometry will be wrong, and that may have long-term consequences such as increased vibration, wear, and odd looks due to mismatched tire offsets. Lowering the car without the adjustable panhard and LCAs is a "half-@ssed job". Yes, the Roush springs are a minor drop, so things "could be worse" compared with a bigger drop, but a "little wrong" is still wrong IMHO.

I suggest doing the job right and installing the LCAs and panhard at the same time, for several reasons:

1) The parts are quite inexpensive.

2) The installation is simple. You can do it yourself in two hours with hand tools. (For those of you that don't do your own work, this means your installation cost will be low) If you are already taking the rear end apart for the spring install, then adding the LCAs and the panhard will probably add just one hour to your install time.

3) The LCAs and panhard bar are great upgrades in their own right. Installing aftermarket LCAs and the panhard bar is a significant handling upgrade. In other words, when you add these parts you're not just "fixing things so the springs work right", you are getting other benefits as well. (IMHO, lower control arms are the #1 basic handling mod on these cars. I would do the LCAs before anything else)
Old 08-23-2006, 10:21 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Which LCAs did you purchase?
ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

If you lower the rear of your car then you are changing your rear axle offset and your pinion angle. It's simple physics. To get it corrected, you need the ability to adjust your pinion angle (generally that means adjustable LCAs) and the panhard bar.

Is this enough to be a cause for concern? I suppose that depends on what you're asking. You can simply drop in the Roush springs and leave it at that. Your car won't collapse into a pile of parts three miles down the road, but it is also a fact that your rear end geometry will be wrong, and that may have long-term consequences such as increased vibration, wear, and odd looks due to mismatched tire offsets. Lowering the car without the adjustable panhard and LCAs is a "half-@ssed job". Yes, the Roush springs are a minor drop, so things "could be worse" compared with a bigger drop, but a "little wrong" is still wrong IMHO.

I suggest doing the job right and installing the LCAs and panhard at the same time, for several reasons:

1) The parts are quite inexpensive.

2) The installation is simple. You can do it yourself in two hours with hand tools. (For those of you that don't do your own work, this means your installation cost will be low) If you are already taking the rear end apart for the spring install, then adding the LCAs and the panhard will probably add just one hour to your install time.

3) The LCAs and panhard bar are great upgrades in their own right. Installing aftermarket LCAs and the panhard bar is a significant handling upgrade. In other words, when you add these parts you're not just "fixing things so the springs work right", you are getting other benefits as well. (IMHO, lower control arms are the #1 basic handling mod on these cars. I would do the LCAs before anything else)
Old 08-23-2006, 10:31 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I have the BMR "combo" type adjustable LCAs, poly one end, spherical on the other end. BMR's part number TCA 021.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:55 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
Lowering the car without the adjustable panhard and LCAs is a "half-@ssed job". Yes, the Roush springs are a minor drop, so things "could be worse" compared with a bigger drop, but a "little wrong" is still wrong IMHO.
Wow - anger management alert

The Roush spring drop amounts to a full load of groceries IMO (and I have them in there)...

I would (and am):
a. put 'em in.
b. measure the rear offset - if it is reall bad then order the pan-hard in a few weeks - otherwise, put it on the xmas list
c. measure the pinion angle and find that unless you are headed down the 1/4 mile with 600HP it is good enough for gov't work...
d. put adjustable UCA's on the xmas list too...

FWIW - both are on the xmas list for me - they measured just fine... not perfect, but not horrible...

BTW - Your Mileage May Vary on Roush rear-only. Others say they level it out just right, I found with the stock front end on a Vert, the front was now about 1/4" to 3/8" too high... you had to look real carefully or measure it to see...

I fixed that by adding 100lbs of weight on the front-end and compensated for that by raising my intake pressure by a few lbs...
Old 08-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Kingofbeers

The Roush spring drop amounts to a full load of groceries IMO (and I have them in there)...

I was thinking the same thing - a 1" drop would be like having a fat lady in the back seat (well, if there was a back seat).

I got some Roush rears and Steeda panhard bar and support, but after spending an afternoon trying to break the factory panhard bolts loose, I gave up. I'll try again after I buy a longer breaker bar.

I'll put some adjustable LCA's on my Christmas list too, then buy 'em myself after I've opened all my socks and underwear packages.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:48 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Okay, so the debate rages on. I'm grateful for the opinions. All I am trying to do is produce a more level profile on my cruiser. My days of blistering the asphalt are over. I actually get sick to my stomach when someone burns rubber. I feel for the engine. Anyway, I wasn't looking to produce a trans am car that can handle 5 G's in the hairpin, I was just looking for a level rake with the cars road to beltline appearence. The Roush springs are sitting in my garage. I don't want to open the rear twice,when I can do it all once. Not allergic to labor, just pride myself at being efficent. The adjustable pan hard makes sense to me. Adding the UCA's or LCA's isn't in the plan. As long as I can operate the car with the pan hard, springs, and stock LCA's I'll be happy. I plan on keeoing this car for the next 30 to 40 years, so I need life expectancy from the rear end. I was thinking the same thing about the drop of an inch. Some say it only dropped 3/4 of an inch. I reminded myself that back in the day I used air shocks to raise the 70 Mach 1 in order to get a set of deep dish Keystones underneath. I would assume that the drive angle would also be affected then as well. The air shocks are long gone, but the differential is still operating today. So, me thinks I'll ponder the pan hard...thanks.

Of course there won't be Super Charger weight redistribution in mine...(I wish..some guys have all the luck). Thanks Cekim
Old 08-24-2006, 05:00 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

I have the Roush rear springs only and have loved them ever since install. My drop measured exactly 1 and a quarter inches. (measured before the install and after) From lowering other cars in the past I know that after the new springs break in your car may drop slightly lower than when first installed. All those who I have spoken with who have installed the rears only have had no problems and have injoyed the new level stance of the ride without having to look at that horrible stock gap at the rear tire.

The info stated above is one of the main reasons I only did the rears. No problems with install or after effects and no other parts purchased for the suspension, plus at the time I knew I would be getting a ground effects kit in the future and did not want to cause any hasstles with my driveway or the speed bumps in my area with to low a front. After my ground effects install I was VERY HAPPY I did not lower the front.

Hiboost--- What you said too! When I get on it, it no longer does the seesaw kinda thing.

All is well in Mustang land.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Rear springs only.