Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT Take Off Front/Rear Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:31 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Default GT Take Off Front/Rear Sway Bars

Was browsing and found these. I know they stiffen the chasis but how much benefit do you get from them? Is there anyother mod you need to do to put these on? And also what bolts would you use with them since they don't come with any [&:]

http://v6mustangstuff.com/TakeOffParts.htm
Old 08-23-2006, 11:55 AM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT Take Off Front/Rear Sway Bars

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

Was browsing and found these. I know they stiffen the chasis but how much benefit do you get from them? Is there anyother mod you need to do to put these on? And also what bolts would you use with them since they don't come with any [&:]

http://v6mustangstuff.com/TakeOffParts.htm
Actually, sway bars don't stiffen the chassis, they reduce body roll during cornering. The benefit is huge because our V6's (without Pony Package) only have a front sway bar which is a built in understeer. The addition of a rear sway bar helps maintain a larger contact patch during cornering so that you can accelerate faster into a turn without sliding and braking. You don't need another mod to install sway bars unless you're talking about better tires to suit whatever driving environment you intend to use them in.

As for bolts: Front - re-use the bolts that are on the front sway bars now. Rear - four (4) 8 x 16 bolts, nuts and washers for the ends connecting to the lower shock mounts. Two (2) 12 x 65 threaded end bolts, nuts and washers for the body mounts. Get Grade 8 only (they need to be strong and rust resistant so don't go cheap) and don't buy them from a dealer because they'll cost you over $25 (I read a thread where somebody said it cost just under $50 - Jesus these dealers rip you off for simple nuts and bolts). Go to a good hardware store and it should cost about $10.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

EDIT: And by the way the price is about normal for GT take-offs and its worth the investment. Also get some non-permanent thread lock which you should put on, at least, the front bolts because they are re-used.

John
Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Alright thanks for the tips and how to put them on.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:33 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

What should a fair price be for a pair of sway bars from a 2006 GT be?I took them off my car at 1000kms and went for a different suspension package.For my interest I am curious if the shocks and struts are something that a V6 platform could benefit from?I didn't know the V6 didn't have a rear sway bar?Sorry to butt in,however this thread is being very helpful to me.They are just taking up space at my house.Any answers for my lack of knowledge is appreciated.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I paid $89 plus shipping for my front and rear gt takeoffs from diversified marketing.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:05 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Thankyou for your reply...did you think it was worth the money?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:36 AM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

Yes is was, super easy to install, it's much easier to do big smokey donuts at intersections, scaring the crap out of my passenger and oncoming traffic. "really babe. I meant to do that" It is a huge difference, took me a little longer than others because my car is lowered and I couldn't just slide under and un bolt them.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:05 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

I just priced out set of 2006 GT sway bars from the parts department(new).In Canadian dollars the front was $311.00 and the rear $326.00.I wonder what diversified car parts means?I got a pair virtually new 1000kms.(tags are still on them).For what the price of a new set goes for I wouldn't be selling the pair for under $300 . 00(CDN).I know thats probably too much for most folks,but I had no idea what they retail new for.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:15 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

diversified marketing sells them on ebay with a starting bid of $89 us. no one else bid and I got them for that amount. You could look on ebay to see if they have any up now, but I think they sell them with a buy it now for $129 plus shipping, which is around $40 to my place.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:25 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Can you use the standard GT rear swaybar on a convertible ??? I assumed you could, but Diversified said no, and I NEVER see swaybars for convertibles advertised anywhere...

Quick Reply: GT Take Off Front/Rear Sway Bars