Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Panhard Bar.....Which one??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Panhard Bar.....Which one??

Ok, heres the deal. Since I have the coilovers ordered (should be here on Monday!) I also ordered the BMR Tubular Adjustable Panhard Bar AS SEEN HERE. But I got to searching and found more varieties of Panhards.

So, I was wondering which is the best for my use, since I can't get a better description from either of the two companies other than the standard description. I wanted to pick your minds a bit. Also, which is the best kind of bushings, the polyurethane or the spherical bearings? I am going to use the car mainly for street use as of now, a few 1/4's in the future.

These are the ones that I am looking at:

Spohn

BMR ---(Which I already have)

Or is there a different one that I should be looking at? Any and all opinions welcome please! Thanks guys!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:36 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Panhard Bar.....Which one??

That will be fine I got the Steeda. I also got the brace that goes with it. BMR makes one. If you look at the factory one above the panard you will see it could use upgraded.
The spherical ends are stiffer and more for race. The poly is softer and quieter and why I went with steeda because their adjustable has poly at both ends. The BMR has both in their one and is probably a little of each. Brenspeed has free shipping and why I went with Steeda because that is what they carry.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

W1ldcat got the basics right.

Rod-ends (also called Heim Joints or Spherical Bearings) are the stiffest ends possible. This has both pros and cons:

Benefit: Maximum stiffness and smooth pivoting
Con: Increases road noise and ride harshness

Polyurethane bushings are stiffer than the OEM rubber bushings, but they are softer than rod ends. Basically, the poly is a practical compromise from the soft rubber bushings the factory uses and an all-out race setup with rod ends.

So, basically you've got:

Poly-poly: most street friendly
Poly-spherical: Compromise
Double Spherical: Race type (may be too noisy/harsh for use on the street as a daily driver)

BMR and Spohn panhard bars are essentially identical. I bought a Spohn, becasue I wanted the poly-spherical combo type, and at the time they were the only vendor who made those.

I recently handled a Steeda, and the fabrication looked great on the panhard itself, though I will say that the BMR panhard brace is beefier than the steeda brace. The BMR one is a larger, rectangular tube whereas the Steeda is a smaller round one. Would that make a difference? I doubt it.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:41 AM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

Thank you both so much!

CrazyAl, thanks for putting it in terms like that for me, I will remember it better like that so I can tell someone else in the future!

Thanks again!