Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What Type Of Shock/Strut?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:58 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default What Type Of Shock/Strut?

Hiya,

Is there a real difference between Ford Racing Shocks/Struts Kit($389), Eibach Shock/Strut Kit($480), or the Tokico D-Spec($549)? I know the D-Specs are the best, but for a daily driver, is it really work $200 more then the Ford Racing parts?

I want to save money for my blower, but lowering the car is a priority right now. I figure if I'm going to change the springs, might as well change the shocks/struts. Spring wise, I'm going to get the Eibach Pro-Kit.

~Fred
Old 09-07-2006, 05:08 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What Type Of Shock/Strut?

Might I add, I can't get my tires aligned, because of the different sizes. 285/35/20 in back and 265/35/20 in front.

~Fred
Old 09-07-2006, 05:27 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Just talking to myself here. I could go with the 2005-2006 Saleen Suspension System - Valved and Special Tuned for your 2005 Mustang. Includes Struts, Shocks, Springs, and Sway Bar for $650. That sounds like a really good deal.

~Fred
Old 09-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

The kits arent very different. with any shocks/struts their function is going to be essentially the same. So going with ford racing vs eibach is probably not going to make much of a difference, although since you're getting the pro kit, the eibach kit was desined specifically to complement their springs etc. Now, the D specs are different because they are adjustable. You can change the settings from firm to soft depending on what you're doing and when. If you dont care for adjustability then there is not much of a difference. btw, good call on doing shocks/struts along with the springs. The saleen set up is very well designed, but its only going to lower the call about an inch as opposed to an inch and a half with the pro kit. Also, saleen is not adjustable either. Btw, quick question, what tires do you have? didnt know anyone made a 285/35/20. Do the 265/35/20s rub at all up front. Thanx
Old 09-07-2006, 03:36 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Thanx for the info. I have Toyo Proxies on 20 inch American Racing Rogues. No rubbing at all. It looks good. Alot wider then stock tires. Fits the wheel well better. So, is $650 a good price for the saleen kit. I want to lower the car to fill the gap in the wheel well, but I dont want to go too low because of the 20's. I don't want to bottom out. What do you think?

~Fred
Old 09-07-2006, 04:10 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I think your choice depends on what you want to do.

The saleen shocks and the FRPP shocks are both good, and similar. The are firmer valved than stock and give a stiffer, sportier, ride. As Stang Skeleton said, the D-Specs are adjustable. If you are into tuning, I'd say that makes them BETTER, but if adjusting isn't your thing then you may not agree.

I am running the D-specs. I like them becasue if I have to take a long trip I can soften 'em up and make the car ride like a cadillac--which is nice if you have family along. Also, you can soften up the fronts when you drag race, giving you better launches. Adjustment takes just a few seconds per shock. You don't have to get under the car or do anything wierd to make the adjustments. It's nice and easy. On the firm settings it really makes the car handle great in the twisties.

I'd say that most cars don't need a sway bar upgrade. The front sway bar is great from the factory. I have a LOT of suspension mods on my car, and I have yet to find the front sway bar to be a weak spot. The rear sway bar can use an upgrade (as on the GT500) but that isn't super critical either.

The shocks, springs, & Sway bar for $650 is not a bad deal at all. But, I would consider the sway bar to be an optional component.

Personally, I'd buy the springs of your choice and then the D-spec shocks, but that's just me.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:42 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Do not let the fact that the Tokico's are adjustable deter you from buying them the adjustment is so simple it is very easy and only take maybe 5 minutes tops to adjust all four shocks. I went with the Tokico's for the adjustibility figured it was worth it and ti was.

Richard
Old 09-08-2006, 01:13 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Sorry for the quick hijack but...

Al in your opinion are coilovers for our cars worth it? I dont plan on doing any kind of autocross racing but I would like some nice stiffness for the curvy roads around here. I also like the adjustability of height of coilovers...is it really worth it for the height adjustment? I mean you said you can change the ride stiffness with the D Specs, but the height is fixed depending on the springs you buy correct? Also.. a set of springs is roughly 150-200 bucks.. D Specs are like 550-650 (I think) and a set of coilovers are 1200.. so for about 400-500 bucks more I can have height adjustment but is the stiffness on the coilovers adjustable also, and how hard would all this be? Im just wondering whether it might be better just to get a set of springs and some D Specs.. Whats your opinion? Thanks alot

Anyone else is welcome to let me know whatcha think too... Im really considering all options at this point
Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Do not let the fact that the Tokico's are adjustable deter you from buying them the adjustment is so simple it is very easy and only take maybe 5 minutes tops to adjust all four shocks. I went with the Tokico's for the adjustibility figured it was worth it and ti was.

Richard
Its price thats Detering me. I race down the strip. Thats it. I don't think I really need adjustable. Stiffness doesn't really bother me.

~Fred
Old 09-08-2006, 02:32 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I think coilovers are nice if you are a serious autocross or road-race competitor and really need to tweak your car's setup perfectly.

However, Coilovers are NOT simple to adjust. The reason is that if you alter the ride height, then you consequently have to make a bunch of other changes because of it.

For example. Suppose you want to lower the car more. First, you adjust the spring height on the coilovers. Then, you have to re-adjust your camber. Then you have to re-set your panhard bar, pinion angle, and maybe fool with your LCAs.... it's not the kind of thing that you can just adjust on a whim.

Quick Reply: What Type Of Shock/Strut?