Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

changing the front springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:08 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default changing the front springs?

Are there any installation instructions online for replacing the front springs? I've changed springs before, but never on a vehicle equipped with struts.

On my truck I used a floor jack to lower the control arm and take pressure off the spring. Can the same be done with a strut or must you take the strut off the vehicle?

Old 09-23-2006, 11:51 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: changing the front springs?

Simply support the body of the car (safely,) support the LCA with a floor jack but do not compress the spring, remove the nut from the top of the strut and then remove the bolts holding the bottom of the strut. The strut and spring then come out.

Unlike many strut equipped cars, you don't need a strut spring compressor. Simply put the new spring in place around the strut, connect the bottom of the strut and jack it up far enough to get on the top strut nut.

Be careful any time you remove or replace a spring.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Thanks! That just sounds too easy. I allready did the back this morning and now it's lower than the front. I replaced the lower control arms and springs in 2 hours. It wouldn't have taken so long if I had a lift or a racheting torque wrench!

ORIGINAL: MBDiagMan

Simply support the body of the car (safely,) support the LCA with a floor jack but do not compress the spring, remove the nut from the top of the strut and then remove the bolts holding the bottom of the strut. The strut and spring then come out.

Unlike many strut equipped cars, you don't need a strut spring compressor. Simply put the new spring in place around the strut, connect the bottom of the strut and jack it up far enough to get on the top strut nut.

Be careful any time you remove or replace a spring.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well it wasn't quite that simple. I'd recommend disconnecting the brake line from the body and of course you have to disconnect it from the strut. I had to tilt the spindle out pretty far to get the strut to come down and it was stressing the brake line. You also need to disconnect the swaybar from the strut. Overall i'd say it was pretty easy. It took me 4 hours to do the front and the back using basic tools.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Mardav

Great Job! what brand springs did you use. And how much lower was the back then the front before you did the front/ I am thinking about just doing the rear springs on my car.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I used the ford racking K springs. They are supposed to give a 1.5 inch drop in the front and rear. I haven't measured after the drop, but i'd say 1.5 inches is about right. My wheel well gap in the front before the drop was 2 inches and the back was a hair shy of 3 inches (about 2 7/8 inches, maybe 3/4). I did the back first and it put the rear lower than the front. You should get the roush springs if you only want to lower the rear.

ORIGINAL: Mardav

Great Job! what brand springs did you use. And how much lower was the back then the front before you did the front/ I am thinking about just doing the rear springs on my car.