Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Is this where you measure the pinion angle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:05 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A question for you

DO NOT measure from the pumpkin. The Pumpkin is a cast piece and it's dimensions will not be repeatable from car-to-car.

I drew a quick sketch of where the two measurements are to be taken on our car.

The first measurement is taken on the rearmost section of the 2-pc driveshaft.

The second measurement is taken on the pinion flange. Note that you must be careful that your angle gage ONLY rests on the pinion flange itself, which is the rearward (larger diameter) part of the coupling. Make sure your angle gage does not sit crooked across both the flange and the CV joint on the driveshaft.

Please excuse the shoddy quality of the drawing, but it should suffice:

[IMG]local://upfiles/32957/3558DA15657D44289345FEED934B0946.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-24-2006, 11:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Wrong way?

ORIGINAL: 07GT

If both your angles are negative and you shorten the LCA, you will increase the negative pinion angle. If you shorten the LCA it will pull the pinion down. Again, maybe I don't understand your explanation of your measurements, but I do understand chassis setup. I've done this a lot.
Shortening the lower control arms most definately pushing the pinion yoke up and decreases the amount of the angle. The CHE LCA's come set at the factory control arm length which is almost as short as they will go. I believe after lowering my car 1.5 inches in the rear and front my pinion angle was around zero or slightly positive. I know the drive shaft angle was zero.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Thanks crazyAl. The pinion flange isn't competely flat which was a bit confusing. I hope I did damage anything on my test drive, i'm pretty sure my pinion angle was negative 5-6 degrees.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:57 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

DO NOT measure from the pumpkin. The Pumpkin is a cast piece and it's dimensions will not be repeatable from car-to-car.

I drew a quick sketch of where the two measurements are to be taken on our car.

The first measurement is taken on the rearmost section of the 2-pc driveshaft.

The second measurement is taken on the pinion flange. Note that you must be careful that your angle gage ONLY rests on the pinion flange itself, which is the rearward (larger diameter) part of the coupling. Make sure your angle gage does not sit crooked across both the flange and the CV joint on the driveshaft.

Please excuse the shoddy quality of the drawing, but it should suffice:

[IMG]local://upfiles/32957/3558DA15657D44289345FEED934B0946.jpg[/IMG]
That's what I said in my 1st post, use the yoke. What we are concerned with is that it appears that the outer yoke circle appears to be machined at an angle. Is it or is it not?, my eyes are not that good. I understand how to make a pinion angle measurement, it is where to take the measurement on this particular car that is troublesome.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:03 AM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wrong way?

ORIGINAL: moosestang

If both your angles are negative and you shorten the LCA, you will increase the negative pinion angle. If you shorten the LCA it will pull the pinion down. Again, maybe I don't understand your explanation of your measurements, but I do understand chassis setup. I've done this a lot.
Shortening the lower control arms most definately pushing the pinion yoke up and decreases the amount of the angle. The CHE LCA's come set at the factory control arm length which is almost as short as they will go. I believe after lowering my car 1.5 inches in the rear and front my pinion angle was around zero or slightly positive. I know the drive shaft angle was zero.

Man, my brain must be on the fritz, you're right if you shorten the lower control arm it would move the pinion up. Man I give up, I've done this a million times but when I try to explain it, it comes out backwards. Sorry for any confustion.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:30 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

That's what I said in my 1st post, use the yoke. What we are concerned with is that it appears that the outer yoke circle appears to be machined at an angle. Is it or is it not?, my eyes are not that good. I understand how to make a pinion angle measurement, it is where to take the measurement on this particular car that is troublesome.
The outside of the yoke has paralell sides, at least on my car (2006). There is a rather obvious "bevel" or chamfer, at the "rearmost end" of the yoke, but it is rather small, and there is no way you could mistake that bevel for the side of the yoke.

BTW, I am extremely sure about this--I have the yoke sitting in front of me on my desk, and I just measured it with a set of calipers. I'm in the midst of a gear install, so the rear end is torn down. Hopefully I'll be on the road tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Thanks again Al.

Here's some good info about pinion angle for anyone interested.

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/pinionangle.aspx