Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rear axle on bumps??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:52 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear axle on bumps??

When i'm going around a corner and hit a bump my rear axle seems to lift off and then grab traction again. It's kind of an unnerving feeling. Is there anything to help with this?
Also will a rear swaybar help a lot with handling and help this problem?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:08 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear axle on bumps??

You need LCAs. The rear sway bar will help as well, especially if it's only one wheel that's breaking traction.

See this earlier thread:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1696246/tm.htm
Old 10-05-2006, 02:12 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Well i don't know if it's one wheel or not. Will the Adjustable Panhard bar help keep the axle in place? What about an upper control arm?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:48 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

A GT has upper and lower control arm as well as a panhard bar and anti sway bar.You can upgrade all these pieces with adjustable aftermarket units,except the anti sway bar(you can improve that with a slightly bigger unit.)The shocks can be replaced with better aftermarket units as well,the springs...IMO ,you will never completly dial out the rear axles behavior.Thats the difference between a live axle and 4 wheel independent suspension.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:46 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

Well i don't know if it's one wheel or not. Will the Adjustable Panhard bar help keep the axle in place? What about an upper control arm?
Yes and Yes. All the rear end components will help. But the ones that will make the biggest improvement, IMHO, are the LCAs and the panhard bar.

Read that other thread that I posted a link to. There is a very long post in there that describes each part in detail.

My car has the full aftermarket rear suspension and it doesn't break traction or skip at all anymore.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 PM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Can you just do a quick explaination of how the Panhard bar helps? Does it help control side to side movement? Or just keep it centered? You have a very good post about suspension on that other post. Very informative.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:09 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

Can you just do a quick explaination of how the Panhard bar helps? Does it help control side to side movement? Or just keep it centered? You have a very good post about suspension on that other post. Very informative.
The panhard bar centers the rear end under the car. The aftermarket type is stiffer, and will do a better job locating the axle in the proper spot when you turn.

The real key to many of these rear-end suspension upgrades is the bushings in the end of all the parts. Ford uses soft rubber bushings from the factory. This is good for a very smooth, quiet ride. The drawback is that under "performance conditions" like hard acceleration or tight corners at speed, the rubber bushings (and some of the flimsy metal parts) flex too much. This prevents the suspension from working as it should. Instead of smoothly pivoting as it needs to, it binds up. The aftermarket parts have polyurethane bushings (or rod ends) which allow for correct suspension action because they hold their shape properly. The aftermarket bushings don't squish under hard loads, and the tubular parts (panhard, LCAs, etc.) don't flex either.

The rear suspension on these cars is very well designed. It suffers becasue it is implemented with cheap stamped parts and too-soft bushings.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:23 PM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Will it make the ride worse? And like how much worse?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:28 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Nope, not worse at all.

The handling is definatley improved.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:13 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, when the funds come in this is what i'll be doing i guess. I wonder how install is $ wise. I can install a few things myself but some of these parts i would rather have a shop do.

Quick Reply: Rear axle on bumps??