Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rod-end suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:18 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default Rod-end suspension parts

I've been doing some research on new suspension parts, and am curious about how much more noise rod-ends would translate compared to the poly-bushing style ends. I started working with a Formula SAE race team this year, and we use rod-ends, so they're obviously the best performance-wise...the question is will I be able to live with them. Do they provide significant advantage over the poly bushings? Also, are they low maintenance/durable? They don't have grease fittings like the bushing variety.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:23 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rod-end suspension parts

I will tell you stay away from anything without poly-bushings unless the vehicle is a race car. You will get excessive road noise and a lot of extra noises. This is a heads up as I made this mistake myself, you will hate your car honestly. JMO, but make this decision very wisely.

-Jeff

Edit: More specifically, extra road noise and a lot of clunking.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, yeah, I'm going for the "racy daily driver" mods. I'll stay with the poly stuff. Does anyone know if the A-arms BMR makes are worthwhile?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:00 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

There should never be any "clunking" with the rod-end hardware. If your car clunks, then the problem is something else: either your pinion angle was wrong, or there was a loose bolt somewhere. When properly set up, there should be NO clunks.

On the other hand, the spherical ends do transmit more vibration and background noise...that steady "hiss" or "grind" type sound from the tires rolling over the pavement. That noise will be louder than it was before, and you will also feel small bumps much "harsher" than you did previously.

BMR's A-Arms are brand new. I wasn't even aware they were available yet. You'll have to wait a little while for people to get them in-hand, installed, and tested before we get any reviews.

Anyway, you can fight the road noise from the rod-end suspension parts by doing a good job with sound deadening in your car. That will eat up the road noise, so the only real drawback is the harshness felt driving over bumps or rough roads.--which can certainly be annoying if your roads are in poor shape.

My suggestion is to buy the compromise type parts: the combo type with one rod end and one poly bushing. they are stiffer than the double-poly type but the still don't have a solid path for vibration/noise to travel along.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:05 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I checked back on the a-arms, and yes, they're not available yet. With adjustable LCA's I shouldn't need the bracket relocators, right?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The bracket relocators and the adjustable LCAs are two different things.

The adjustable LCAs are used to adjust pinion angle, which is necissary if you lower the car or if you switch to a different driveshaft. If your car is stock height and you have the OEM driveshaft, then there's no need to buy adjustable LCAs. Get the solid ones instead.

The relocation brackets are used for adjusting instant center, which affects traction at launch. Insant center is also thrown off when you lower the car. Google for the term "instant center" if you aren't sure what it means.

If you are lowering your car it's beneficial to do both.