Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Autocross / Solo

Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Autocross / Solo

+ 1 on tires

I tried out my buddie's Khumo V710's and HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

tires are MANDATORY

let me say that again - TIRES ARE MANDATORY lol

dont bother changing your swaybar - it will only make your understeer CONSIDERABLY worse. In fact, I went fastest this weekend with mine REMOVED(?) A couple of my buddies with lots of autocross and big track time told me to do it - it worked.

tires and good brakes are the most important thing.

as far as the spoiler goes - I wouldnt worry about it. I put my car back to BONE STOCK just in case of protesters, but the more I read the rules now the more I see most guys are illegal as hell anyway. If it's an issue for you just remove the double sided tape. that way when you go race you just loosen the nuts and pull the spoiler off.

even though you can run an 18x8.5 wheel if you want, stick with 17x8. tires are much cheaper.

I now have Falken Azenis RT-615's - by far the best sticky street tire - I highly recommend them. Not as fast as the Khumo 710's, but light years better than the Pirellis.

You will also find that in none of the classes - be it STX,ESP,FS, anything we fall into, are we allowed to change the control arms.

get some good tires and go racing!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:00 PM
terrysil
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Autocross / Solo

i ran is STU last year, mainly because i run street tires, won the class championship trophy for the year, very pleased. I am going back into f stock for this season, I am going to buy a set of Kumho 710's to replace the falken st 615's i am currently running. I can attest from personal experience that tires are the secret to winning or losing in stock class. youwill have a more difficult time in stock class with a street tire (200 treadwear or above)then an all out auto cross tire such at the Kumho 710's.
my skill level is not what i want it to be, but at age 60+ i think am not embarrising mysellf against the much younger guys in my class.
I drag raced for over 40 years, got out of it because of the expense, discoverd auto crossing with my 2002 SVT Focus, now a 05 Mustang Gt and i am not looking back. I race mainly against myself, if i am able to better my times i feel good, PLUS IT KEEPS ME YOUNG.
when you got to my age you will know exactly what i am talking about.
love FL where i can autox year round!