Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

rear sway bolts came. Are they the wrong ones?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Rnstanger
2nd Gear Member

Default rear sway bolts came. Are they the wrong ones?

Ok so I called up the Ford parts dept here in town and gave them the part number w707007*s439. Got home and look at my sheet on the desk and the package part number is different. It's w711295-s439. It looks like the ones in the pics I'm seeing here but am unsure if i should attempt the install. Here's a pic. Anybody knowledgeable in this area?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:04 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: rear sway bolts came. Are they the wrong ones?

In general, they look correct. Can't tell from a picture if they are right. Try the install. If they don't work, take them back. Don't worry that you opened them, if they sent you away with the wrong part, they are on the hook, not you.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Rnstanger
2nd Gear Member

Just went out and check fitting. Not the right size. Go figure. You give them one part number and they order another. Plus they only ordered 2 nuts instead of 4 like I specifically told them. Oh well, the sway bar install will have to wait till next week.

-Ok, so I called the parts dept again and they said the part #w707007-s439 was replaced by w709878-s439 and that there is only 2 needed instead of 4. Interesting but just a FYI for those looking to order to ford parts for the install. I'm just trying to figure out how having only 2 is gonna work. Interesting
Old 12-09-2006, 04:36 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Those are the correct ones.............part#'s change but parts remain the same, the nuts come in packs of two, just went through this last week................you need two more nuts...............if you look at the how to section you will see the photos of those clip in bolts, put head in through the bottom a slid them back...........they click into place......

Cheers!

Eddie
Old 12-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Rnstanger
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so just to clear things up on the bolt #'s if anybody is interested. The 711295-s439 are the correct bolts. I had to go into the parts dept and look on their computer with them to make sure they were looking at the right part. So they did in fact go on with a little imagination. Not just a slip on and screw part but a wiggle and jiggle to get on part. I was gonna go with just bolts and washers like some did but after installing these they seem much better even though they cost 30 bucks for the set of 4.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:58 AM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Finally found opportunity to install the rear swaybar. Thanks to the posters on this forum it was easy, although it took twice as long as I expected: old joints don't move as fast as they once did, and they protested in no uncertain terms.

On jackstands with the wheels off (for cleaning and waxing) I didn't even have to get under the car, although I did, just for familiarization. The bar threaded in easily enough; upper bolts for location; snap-in the "clip studs" with a single, simple, intuitive motion each; locate the brackets over the studs; apply the nuts; ratchet down and torque the upper nuts (18mm, 85 lb-ft); ratchet down and torque the stud nuts (15mm, 52 lb-ft). That's it!

I went to my friendly neighborhood Ford Parts guy (Louis at Kearny Mesa, San Diego). He looked in the computer and found there were 68 of the original (per manual) clip studs # 711368-S439 available, all in Detroit. It took about five days for delivery. They cost $2.95 each.

The clip nuts for the upper bolts W711029-S900 I asked for were not available; the same-size, no-clip nuts were a couple bucks each. Seems to me those clip nuts are good for quick use on an assembly line, but not necessary in a one-off install, even by an old guy with vertigo.

As for performance changes with the added GT rear bar and standard V6 front bar, I sense the handling is closer to neutral, with appreciably less understeer. I wonder if changing to the GT front bar will migrate the handling balance back to greater understeer. If so, I might have to go for a stiffer rear bar. More complaining joints and vertigo. I hope not.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 AM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

As for performance changes with the added GT rear bar and standard V6 front bar, I sense the handling is closer to neutral, with appreciably less understeer. I wonder if changing to the GT front bar will migrate the handling balance back to greater understeer. If so, I might have to go for a stiffer rear bar. More complaining joints and vertigo. I hope not.
Just to keep things up-to-date: swapping-in the GT front bar transformed handling feel and performance. Very much a worthwhile move; however, it still seemed a little too much on the understeer sidefor my taste, so I found an inexpensive 22mm (7/8-inch, by ADDCO.net) rear bar. Another major improvement, not quite another transformation. Now I wonder about getting a solid front bar and a 1-inch rear ...

No, really, next on the agenda: springs. I'm most interested in the Steeda set; less than an inch lower, same ride quality.

--
Resp'y

Frank S
Old 05-28-2007, 03:34 AM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

The Steeda Sport springs were another transformer.The thing almost handles now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54924/17A83637DF15421DABE5985AA40526BA.jpg[/IMG]