Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 PM
dly
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension questions

I've installed the Tein Lower springs and the Tokico D-Spec's and looking at the stock LCA's to replace is that the E-brake cable going though the stockones? How easy or hard is it to remove. Also I understand about the pinion and driveshaft angle but do you place the gauge on the driveshaft when it is lifted then lower it and read it from the side, as the car is to low to be under it.

Also being old school I see that Lakewood is now making suspension parts for the new Mustang, has anybody got any pro's or con's??

Thanks dly
Old 12-18-2006, 08:41 PM
fl_799
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension questions

Don't sweat the E-brake cable. Takes seconds to remove it then you zip tie to the new LCA. Case solved.

As far as brands of the UCA's, you can do a search for some thoughts and make up your own mind. Having a parts from Steeda, BMR and Spohn, I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them for LCA's. The Spohn and BMR stuff is usually priced very well.

Just a quick pointer before you get going on suspension. If you start working on suspension, just make sure you have a decent 1/2" torque wrench that goes to 130 ft lbs and torque to factory spec plus use blue thread locker on all the bolts.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You don't need your car level to check the pinion angle, but you will need to have the rear end loaded. I jack the rear up under the pumpkin so the weight of the car is on the suspension. The difference between the drive shaft angle and pinion flange will give you the pinion angle. With the rear raised the angles will be different than they would if it were sitting on the ground, but the difference between those angles will remain the same. Be sure to have your angle finder dead center at the bottom of the driveshaft and pinion flange, having it off to one side will throw off your measurements.

You can pop the E-brake cable off with a flat blad screw driver very easily. Putting it back on is just as easy. You'll see once you get the rear tires off.

ORIGINAL: dly

I've installed the Tein Lower springs and the Tokico D-Spec's and looking at the stock LCA's to replace is that the E-brake cable going though the stockones? How easy or hard is it to remove. Also I understand about the pinion and driveshaft angle but do you place the gauge on the driveshaft when it is lifted then lower it and read it from the side, as the car is to low to be under it.

Also being old school I see that Lakewood is now making suspension parts for the new Mustang, has anybody got any pro's or con's??

Thanks dly
Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Stay away from the steeda race lower control arms. I have heard of a few guys breaking them.

I have gone with a full BMR Level 3 Control Arm Package, BMR Chrome Moly Panhard bar, as well as BMR Tubular K member and A-arms. Most of it is sitting in my apartment now just waiting till after the holidays to get it installed