Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCA & Panhard With Poly and Spherical Rod Ends

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Default LCA & Panhard With Poly and Spherical Rod Ends

I have been gathering my suspension upgrade parts for spring install. One of the items that has caught my attention is the Spohn full chrome molly adjustable LCAs and adjustable panhard bar with the spherical rod end on one side and poly bushings on the other. Seems like the best of both worlds. My question is, will having a spherical rod end cause aLOT more noise (clunking and road noise) and transmit a lot more vibration over having poly bushings on both ends? Or put another way, is there enough performance benefit from having one spherical rod end to offset any additional noise it would cause, and additional $30 cost, or am I better off with the poly bushings on both ends?

I use the car as a nice day daily driver (mainly freeway) and plan going to the track (road course) four or five times a year.

On an unrelated note… Did a certain tuner from Alabama do something to tick off the administrators? The name in my sig gets replaced by “****” when I post. Seems strange as most peoples sigs are a who’s who of mustang performance and appearance parts.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:00 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: LCA & Panhard With Poly and Spherical Rod Ends

First off, if your rear suspension clunks, it means something is very wrong. Either something is not installed properly, or you have a loose bolt or a bad adjustment somewhere.

Even the double-rod-end LCAs will not clunk when properly installed.

Now then, what rod ends DO do is transmit more road noise and vibration. Road noise is like a "hiss" or "grinding" type of sound. The kind of sound a car makes when you drive it over gravel.

The combo type control arms (and panhards) with one rod end and one poly bushing are great in my opinion. The poly bushing kills most of the noise. Yes, they are noiser than the poly-poly type, but not much. I recommend the combo types.

By the way, it is NOT worth paying extra for Chromoly unless you are running rod ends on both sides on an actual race application. The flex of the poly bushing will override any stiffness gain you'd have from the Chromoly.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:44 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: LCA & Panhard With Poly and Spherical Rod Ends

I said the hell with it and went with all BMR race parts (Everything has QA1 rod ends on mine, Panhard LCA's and UCA) Only thing I left without the rod ends is my A-arms. I went with the standard non adjustable tubular ones, as tampa has alot of ruff roads and old brick paved ones.