Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adj. LCA's and pinion angle

Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Default Adj. LCA's and pinion angle

Ok, I have read basically all of the threads on pinion angle and I understand how to find it and I get how to change/fix it with adj. LCA's. But the question that I cant seem to find an answer to is that how do you make sure that both LCA's are the same length, do you just use a good old fashion tape measure? Also, what if one is slighty longer than the other,and how much difference in length is tollerable if any. Will them being slighty off even matter? I think these are valid questions, but if not Im sorry for the dumb post.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Adj. LCA's and pinion angle

I have the same Q's. I wonder if I put the UCA's on myself if the shop who does my alignment could adjust pinion angle. Is there a tool to measure? If so, what's it called, how do you do it? I'm about half way towards saving for my suspension mods and plan on doing it all at one time.

I wonder if a tape is all I would need, measuring before and after?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Only 1 UCA, as far as LCA'sA tape mrasure would be fine
Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Three ways to do this:

First method: Start by setting both your LCAs to stock length. Thisis best done when you install them for the first time.With an the adjustable LCA off the car, lay it next to a stock LCA and adjust it to the same length. Then set your second adjustable LCA to the same length as the first one. Now they are both the same. Now, whenever you make your adjustments, count turns with the wrench and make sure you adjust them both the same. So if you turn one of them two turns counterclockwise, immedietly go and turn the other one two turns counterclockwise too.

Second method: Tape measure. Measure from bolt to bolt to make sure the lengths are the same.

Third method: Count the number of full threads that are exposed on the adjusting hardware (Rod ends). They should be the same.

There is only one UCA so you if you have an adjustable UCA you don't need to worry about this.

Yes, there is a tool for measuring angles. It's called an angle gage or angle finder. You can get one at a hardware store (carpenters use them) or any decent suspension/racing supply store.

If you want to see what they look like, go here: http://www.bmrfabrication.com/Universal.htm
...it is the second product down.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:36 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Do most places like Sears that do alignments and tire rotations etc.know how to adjust the LCA's, Panhard bars etc. to get the correct pinion angle and whatever else is nessasary?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Anyone that does alignments should be able to do it. That being said, I have met a lot of idiot "mechanics" out there. I don't see anything wrong with having a place like that do it, just give them EXPLICIT instructions as to exactly what you want them to do.

Try and find out where the local car guys go to get their work done. Perhaps there is a local car club you can ask?