Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Critique Phased Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:03 AM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Critique Phased Suspension Upgrades

Hey, I'm back and now that summer has hit, its time for the project to begin. The shopping list remains the same, and phase 1 is set for go as soon as I find the parts.

One question: Anyone know of any screaming deals or group buys I could take advantage of?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:24 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Critique Phased Suspension Upgrades

ORIGINAL: GotMunchies?
Greetings and salutations. I am currently in the planning and resource gathering stage of a suspension overhaul on my '07 GT coupe. It currently resides on 18" wheels and has yet to be touched by wrench or ratchet. All that I hope is to change. My end goal for the car is to create a balanced street machine capable of track weekends with about 380-400hp N/A . I'm more worried about handling than power (as handling is the weak point of the 'Stang). My benchmark will be my father's Z06.

I'd like some criticism and advice as I plan the phased upgrades. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. If you see something missing or something that shouldn't be on this list, let me know and help turn my 'Stang into a corner carver.

Phase 1: (~$1300) the purpose of Phase 1 is to improve handling capability, settle the rear end during cornering, and achieve a drop of about 1.5" (maybe more if I can be swayed).
- BMR adjustable lower control arms and control arm relocation brackets and camber bolts
- Tokico D-Spec adj. struts and shocks.
- lowering springs - I'm not sure of what brand I want, but I am currently tempted towards BMR's variable damped springs. I believe progressive damping is a must have for any street performance car. Are there any alternatives to BMR's?
- BMR Adj. Panhard rod

Phase 2: The goal of pahse two is to balance the handling of the car and shore up weak spots in the chassis.
- Rear sway bar - reccomendations are welcome. Goal is to eliminate understeer and develop more neutral balance.
- Solid BMR UCA's.
- Strut braces and subframe connectors. Here is where I'm really iffy. I have experience with the old BMW E30, but the S197 chassis is a mystery to me. I hear the chassis is quite stiff as is, but I strive for high standards. Where are the weakpoints in the chassis and how do I cure them? Keeping weight down is of the utmost importance.

Phase 3: The goal of phase three is to improve the footprint of the car, replace brakes all around, and reduce unsprung weight. My hope is that by the time I'm ready for phase three, all of these will need replaced anyways.
- Three parameters for wheel and tire replacement: width of footprint, reduction of rotational inertia, and type of rubber.
+I'm looking for 9-9.5x18in. in the front with 9-10x18in. in the back. I would like to dip down to 17" rims for the track, but the wheel wells on the 'Stang demand 18's.
+Since size is set at 18", reduction of rotational mass is imperative. Lightweight is the order of the day. Do any rims absolutely excel in a performance role?
+My hope is to fit the wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. Any other reccomendations for sticky weekend warrior rubber is welcome.
- StopTech: 14" at all four corners.

Hi gotMunchies?,

Before you go and jump off a cliff with your list of parts consider your goals. BMR is a drag racing focused suspension parts maker andIMO for a drag racing focused S197 Mustang BMRmakes the best drag strip suspension for street S197 Mustangs period. Combine a BMR chassis and suspension with a moderate boost supercharger and you can get into the 11's ina daily driver. But BMR doesnot offer a complete solution for a road course focused street car. BMR's suspension componentswhile great when compared to CHE and no-name internet knock offs and the likes ofGMS are in absolute terms only good when using racing standards of fabrication and materials.

IMOSteedahas designed and builtthe besthigh-performancestreet and roadcoursefocused suspension system by far. I will qualify this by saying that Steeda'sfocus is on real street cars capable of regular visits toroad course race tracks without embarrassment or breakdowns and 1,000 mile. Steeda doesnot make parts forrace cars on the street which are miserable beasts in my own personal experience. If you really feel the need to go the race car on the street route the Griggs GR40 suspension is the undisputed kingon the street and on the track. Butthe GR40 is not for the faint of heart or pocket book and the entrylevel street suspension will run$20K installed and that is just the beginning.

I've installedall of the Steeda suspension componentson various local SoCalMustang car club folk’s vehiclesalong with a ton of BMR, Eibach, Tokico, Bilstein,FRPP H&R, complete Saleen kits along witha smattering of CHE, GMS and Roush suspension components. For my personal S197GT I've installedalmost the entire Steeda suspension catalogunder my car out in my garage the few exceptions being the Eibach Pro-KitSport Springs (I'm installing the Steeda Competition springs I've had sittingout in my garage for the last several months next weekend), Eibach camber bolt kit, Tokico D-Spec dampers(which Steeda did the development work for), and a pair of BMR LCA relocation brackets (which Steeda did not offer a year and a half ago when I really neededa solution to the roll understeer and poor IC geometryproblems of a lowered S197).

So here are my thoughts on a high performance street suspension as previously posted in another thread.

Something I did not mentions is the huge roleproper alignment plays in the feel and handling of a car and how well a car tracks, brakes,turns in, exits and accelerates out ofa turn. Do NOT underestimate the power of a good and knowledgeable alignment technician with tools in good repair. Once you find a good one keep him happy and buy the shopa case of their favorite beerasa tip for a good job. Keep them on youChristmas list.

improvecontrol of body and suspension (body motion andtire contact patch with track surface)
Adjustable struts and rear dampers are a must, the non adjustable dampers cannotmatchthe differentsport springs available so adjustability is required for good performance and ride.I like the Tokico D-Spec kit but the Koni Sports will also be great once they ship but the Koni sportscannotbe as soft riding due to the lack of adjustment for compression damping. There are obviously other adjustable damper options available but they are all going to be racing oriented and require more work to make work well and then there is the cost of maintenance and regular rebuilds that a street oriented performance damper does not have to deal with.
improve spring rates for use or application (center of gravity,chassis handlingbalance, brake dive)
[i]For springs I really like the Eibach Pro-Kit springs I have on my car for the look they give the car. While Eibach Pro-Kit spring rates are excellent thedrop is really too much for a street car and marginal even on the race track due to limited rear axle travel.With this much drop in ride height the suspension geometry changes require correction for a good handling chassis. Steeda's Sport springprobably has the best compromise between ride height, suspension travel andspring rates for a daily driver street car. But for a performancespring the Steeda Competition springs are the way to go IMO as they arethe same rate as the Eibach Pro-Kit springs but with a slightly higher ride height. I also prefer Steeda's li