Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Will a Watts-link setup help fix a squirly rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Default Will a Watts-link setup help fix a squirly rear end?

I don't know what it is about the Mustang, but it's a beast to try and keep in a straight line. I think it must be the panhard setup, because all of my other RWD cars have had IRS, and I've never had a problem with keepingthem pointed where I wanted them to go. They would always step out in one direction, and I slight correction got them back in line. The Mustang's rear endlikes to swing back and forth a lot. The other day I was WOT and shifting to 2nd on a slight bend, and I damn near hit the curb trying to keep the car straight.

So my question is, will a Watts-link help alleviate this? My theory being thatthe problem isdue to the panhard bar moving the rear end latterally, and the Watts-link helping it act more like an IRS with no lateral movement.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Will a Watts-link setup help fix a squirly rear end?

The lateral movement of the suspension due to the panhard bar is very small, and it only happens when the suspension compresses or extends, such as if you drive over a bump or a pothole. On a flat road there is no movement.

If you are experiencing the back end behaving poorly in turns where there are no bumps/holes present, then a stiffer rear sway bar will take care of the problem. The steering bias of these cars is pretty bad from the factory--the rear sway bar will help a great deal.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply CrazyAl. I should have been more specific. The problem is not a cornering issue. I'm talking about power induced wheel spin. I only gave the slight bend example because it caused the rear end to get REALLY loose. I'm assuming the squat induced under acceleration and shifting is causing the lateral movement of the rear end which may be contributing to the "looseness" of the rear of the car. I've just never had a car that gets this loose under acceleration.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Is your sig current?....becasue if you are running with a blower and you still have the stock suspension that's definatley going to give you some problems!

Get some LCAs, a UCA, rear swaybar, panhard bar & panhard brace on there and you'll be hooking up like glue. The rear end is pretty sloppy and the kind of HP you're pushing makes it that much worse!

The rear suspension design on these cars works very well, it is just implemented poorly. Many of the OEM parts are simply too flimsy for performance driving...soft squishy bushings,thin metal parts, and so on.

Tires are another obvious factor. What tires are you running?

And you also might be experiencing the limits of the stock differential as well. I am not pushing anywhere near your HP levels, but my Truetrac made a notable improvement in traction when exiting corners under power.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:43 PM
flounderlipps
2nd Gear Member

You got a supercharger on the car.
If your going around a curve and banging second your gonna get a little squirley!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, my sig is current. So I guess the problem is the rear end moves in all directions! LOL. Thanks for the advice, looks like my next mods need to be some suspension work. I'll have to make due till tax time though

Edit: stock tires. Everything stockbasically. Been trying to keep the sleeper look (works well, surprised a Saleen the other day woot woot),