Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What suspension mod to do first

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:23 PM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

Default What suspension mod to do first

Should i Order the BMR rear sway bar
Or
BMR adjustable lower control arm (poly/spherical)

And does the lower control arm have to be adjustable if i want to lower my car later or can i buy relocation brackets

And what i am looking for is to handle and reduce wheel hop as well just keep me planted

they both are around $200 soo i dont know which one to go for

Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 PM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What suspension mod to do first

I would say the first thing you should do to upgrade your handling is get rid of the stock pirelli's and go with something like the bfgoodrich geforce kdw2.

Those tires made a huge difference for me. The next thing I would suggest (just for the understeer) is the rear sway bar. I went with the steeda HD rear bar w/endlinks. Its definitely more expensive than the bmr one, but it is pretty beefy and the new endlinks are freakin awesome looking - I don't know if its worth the price difference to you, but I don't regret it at all. With just those two changes I was able to hang with everything from a stock prelude to a r/t viper and a 600hp mk4 supra on the recent cruise I went to on some serious twisties.

I am actually installing the BMR adj panhard rod and brace and adj combo lca's next week once the lca's get here.

As for lowering, as CrazyAl has said several times in the past, you don't NEED anything other than loweing springs to just lower the car, but you need a few things to lower it RIGHT. There are a couple threads about it, including the sticky up top but here is a short list:
Rear:
adjustable panhard bar to keep the rear centered
adjustable lca's to keep the pinion angle within limits
lca relocation brackets to keep the instant center right
Front:
some way to adjust camber to prevent excessive tire wear (camber bolts being the cheap and easy way, and steeda's camber plates being the expensive and -I understand- the more reliable way)
Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Depends on what you are after...Straight line acceleration go for the LCA's. Handling/reduce understeerdo the rear sway bar.

See my sig for my suspension mods - the car feels so much better through the corners and lauches great.My boss - a C6 owner - commented how well he thought the car felt.

I started with LCA's....
Old 05-17-2007, 07:26 PM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

I ordered the Steeda heavy duty rear sway bar from stang suspension. they where sold out of the BMR rear sway bar didnt feel like waiting and plus i get it tommorow
Old 05-17-2007, 07:30 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

First suspension mod I'd do to ANY mustang is a PANHARD ROD. Itll remove all rear end steer, help you launch harder, etc. Then I'd get some springs/adjustable struts, larger front and rear sway bar, strut tower brace, G-load brace, Offset front bushings.
Personally, Id do the lower control arms last.
-P.