Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ordering springs and control arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 AM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Ordering springs and control arms

So when i get time this week imma call up stangsuspension and order The Eibach Pro-kit, Adjustable Lower control arm, and a adjustable panhard bar.

any comments or recommenedations as to what type of control arms and panhard bar i should get.

right now i currently have the steeda rear sway bar.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:31 PM
NYWTMAI

Default RE: Ordering springs and control arms

Crazy Al had a really good post on here with recommendations on LCA sway bars and suspension. I keep hearing that BMR has really good LCA.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

BMR, Spoon and CHE are all good companies for the LCA's. I am not sure I would go with the Eiback pro kit it will slam your car. If that is what you are looking for ... you got it. alot of people who got it said thay had to be careful alot over speed bumps and such because it is SO low.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:33 PM
havoc
2nd Gear Member

Pro-kit's don't slam it, the sportlines give the stang about a 2 inch drop. That's the one u gotta lookout for.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:49 AM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

Anyone know of an aggresive drop like the prokit that the spring rate are siffer than prokit?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:13 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

CHE = not that good of a LCA, mainly because they only have one choice for adjustment...where as the BMR and Steeda have lots of different settings for adjustment, the CHE is not as "adjustable" as it should be...limited choices as for where to set the angles.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

my bad. for some reason I got the 2 confused.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v8pilot
So when i get time this week imma call up stangsuspension and order The Eibach Pro-kit, Adjustable Lower control arm, and a adjustable panhard bar.

any comments or recommenedations as to what type of control arms and panhard bar i should get.

right now i currently have the steeda rear sway bar.
pilot,

If you are going to bother to install a set of sportsprings you shouild install a set of D-Spec gas adjustable struts and dampers at the same time as you install the sport springs and Panhard bar or you will be wasting your money on an extra installation fee that you could avoid by simply looking forward and coordinatingyour suspension componentinstallations. The problem is thatthe spring rates are too high for the stock dampers and in short order tend to blow-out the dampers very quickly and then you will get the bouncey ride that happens with an underdampened strut or rear shock. Unless you are doing the install yourself the money you save on the second installation you will need for the struts and dampers will more than pay for thesportsprings!

For example if you install a set of springs first then later install the D-Specs (trust me you willwant them as soon as you install the springs without performance dampers), you will be spending $230 for springs and another $250-$300 for installation of the springs. Then you install the D-Specs there is $550 for the D-Specs and another $250-$300 for the installation. Using the lowest possible prices on the internet and the low $250 installation costs this comes to$1,280 total for springs and shocks. If you hold off on the other parts and install the springs and shocks at the same time the $250 you saveon installation costs will more than pay for the cost ofa set of standard sportsprings of your choice.

Steeda producesthe highest quality S197 chassis suspension parts available on the market today. All Steeda control arms are produced using seamless chrome-moly alloy, not plain mild steel seamed or DOM tubing. Steeda uses chrome-moly steel alloyfor most of the parts they sell. Chrome-moly alloy steel issignificantly stronger by weight thanplain mild steel so for a given part strength a chrome-moly steel part will always be lighter than the same part in mild steel. Of course chrome-molyalloy is more expensive than mild seamed ot DOM tubes but the weight savings and/or additional strength are worth the price IMO. Chrome-moly is also the standardtubing specified by most racing sanctioning bodies for frames and roll cages and the reason is tubing quality and the strength of the material.Buy quality after all it's your neck on the line.

Knowing this I highly recommend Steeda suspension components and have installed almost the entire Steeda suspension catalog on my own '05 GT and can personally confirm the performance improvements,fit and finish of the Steeda suspension parts. The Steeda adjustable Panhard bar and Heavy Duty Panhard bar brace are excellent parts and will improve your car's handling in ways that you have no idea you are missing.

The Eibach Pro-Kit springs were the stiffest of the sportsprings on the market two years ago when I tested them on a spring testing and measuringmachine. Since then there have been no new sportsprings introduced except for the Steeda Ultralites which are actually a slightly lower rate spring made with a lighter weightspring steel. I have not tested the Voightland springs as they were not avaialble at the time I had access to the spring tester.

HTH!