Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tires for a road course...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:38 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Default Tires for a road course...

I'm going to Pocono Raceway next month and running on the Time Trials on the East Course. My only question is about tires, I know some guys say you'll be ok with stock tires and I probably will, since it's just time trials and I don't intend on pushing my car to its limits. I have a set of M/T ET Streets at home and I'm wondering if those tires are good on a road course or are they only recommended for a drag strip? I have driven with them in the street and it feels better taking turns, probably because they're wider than my stock tires.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:27 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tires for a road course...

NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

DO NOT drive on drag slicks at a road course lol.

Honestly, this will obviously be your first time on a road course. Stock tires will be better for you for now until you learn how to drive. Any sort of r-compund tire willgive you a false sense of security and will mask verybad habits. Theycan getyouhurt.

What you do need to focus on is yourbrakes. Especially in the beginning you will use them too much - and that is normal. I would reccomend getting a set of Hawk hp+ or EBC yellowstuff pads and a pair of takeoff rotors. Throw in some braided lines and Motul RBF600 and you will be fine. Some people might reccomend better pads. In my case i use Hawk blue's, but they grab so hard the ABS gets a little tricky so you have to know the car. The Hawk hp+ will get mushy after some hard laps, mostly because as I said you will be on them toomuch.

Also - CHECK YOUR OIL. The 4.6's like to spin bearings when they are as little as a half quart low. With a stock oil pan and no accumulator - every drop counts.

Get some gloves - mechanix wear - whatever. Your palms will be sweatty lol.

Other than that - good luck, have fun, and be prepared to go broke LOL
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

I knew it was a newb question, but I had to ask it anyways!
I'm already planning on doing the brakes, fluidand SS lines before I go to the track. I wont be too bad though, it's only two practice laps and three times laps on a small track, I know I'll probably be hooked though, so that could be trouble!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

DO NOT drive on drag slicks at a road course lol.

Honestly, this will obviously be your first time on a road course. Stock tires will be better for you for now until you learn how to drive. Any sort of r-compund tire willgive you a false sense of security and will mask verybad habits. Theycan getyouhurt.

What you do need to focus on is yourbrakes. Especially in the beginning you will use them too much - and that is normal. I would reccomend getting a set of Hawk hp+ or EBC yellowstuff pads and a pair of takeoff rotors. Throw in some braided lines and Motul RBF600 and you will be fine. Some people might reccomend better pads. In my case i use Hawk blue's, but they grab so hard the ABS gets a little tricky so you have to know the car. The Hawk hp+ will get mushy after some hard laps, mostly because as I said you will be on them toomuch.

Also - CHECK YOUR OIL. The 4.6's like to spin bearings when they are as little as a half quart low. With a stock oil pan and no accumulator - every drop counts.

Get some gloves - mechanix wear - whatever. Your palms will be sweatty lol.

Other than that - good luck, have fun, and be prepared to go broke LOL
Lol.
Good info

Also if you have the chance to have an instructer to ride with, jump on it!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm going for the class that day so I can get my license, so maybe one of the instructors will go on a lap with me and give me some pointers.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:58 PM
PayDay99
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

What you do need to focus on is yourbrakes. Especially in the beginning you will use them too much - and that is normal. I would reccomend getting a set of Hawk hp+ or EBC yellowstuff pads and a pair of takeoff rotors. Throw in some braided lines and Motul RBF600 and you will be fine.
+1

I used Carbotech pads at the track...worked great.

Also, go with a full tank of gas...once your gas gets down to 1/4, hard cornering will produce an "almost out of gas" signal. Depending on the # and length of hard corners, the out of gas signal may not go away until you sit still for a while. This freaked me out and made me worry that the engine was going to erroneously cut off because the car couldn't see any gas in the tank. I missed a 30 minute session to go fill up and come back to the track.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Phew...glad you asked first...way to use the forum!

dkano, what license are you going for?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

I'm just going for the Time Trials with the guys from North East Iron.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: dkano

I'm going to Pocono Raceway next month and running on the Time Trials on the East Course. My only question is about tires, I know some guys say you'll be ok with stock tires and I probably will, since it's just time trials and I don't intend on pushing my car to its limits. I have a set of M/T ET Streets at home and I'm wondering if those tires are good on a road course or are they only recommended for a drag strip? I have driven with them in the street and it feels better taking turns, probably because they're wider than my stock tires.
a good street tire though that can be used on teh track and as DD. BFG KD are good. Great for dry, I wouldn't recommend them for any type of wet condition though.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
frodaddi
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00
BFG KD are good. Great for dry, I wouldn't recommend them for any type of wet condition though.
Amen to that. This is what happened to my 06 when I made the mistake of getting on Road Atlanta in the rain back in March with the factory BFGs...

Kevin

Quick Reply: Tires for a road course...