Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Best street suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:43 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default Best street suspension setup?

Hi everyone,

I'm waiting for the 08's to come out, as i get it in my garage, i'm dropping the sucka.

Now coming from the imports that i own (RSX and TL w/ A-Spec suspension and tC w/ TRD suspension), i dont want just springs, i love good handling, which i feel the mustang greatly lacks. Now i have done some little researching on the mustang, i admit.

Now i've seen the Roush and Saleen comlete suspension kits, are any of those good? I'd like the better of the 2 in terms of handling. Also, what are their drops?

Reading others' posts, i'm a bit confused as to what exactly the BMR adjustable Panhard bar does and where it goes.

Now the car will be seeing the 1/4mi track also, but i'm sure whatever setup i go with should hold up fine. Plans are either Saleen blower or Fastlane's twin-turbo setup. Goal is 450whp and/or 11's.

Thanks for everyone's help!
[align=right] [/align]
Old 07-15-2007, 01:54 PM
lqdslvr
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Best street suspension setup?

My 08 is also on order and like you, I am researching like crazy. Being a newb, I'm still learning, but I can answer your adjustable panhard bar question. The panhard bar connects across the back of the car with one end on the body and the other on the axle, centering the car laterally on the axle at normal ride height. As the car lowers, the geometry naturally pushes the car to the side, so the rear axle is no longer centered. Thus, when you lower th car, the axle will no longer be centered under the rear end (usually only off by a fraction of an inch, but if lowered a lot, then it could be as much as 3/4". The adjustable PHB can shorten the bar, pulling the body back into alignment over the rear axle.

For an indepth discussion of suspension mods and what they do, including F1Fan's recommendations as to specific parts, see the blue text near the bottom of page two in this thread:

https://mustangforums.com/m_3402356/tm.htm
Old 07-15-2007, 01:55 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

https://mustangforums.com/m_1696246/tm.htm

A little bit less wordy IMO

Old 07-15-2007, 02:29 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Man, I feel for you guys, I remember when I had ordered my car in 2005 and was waiting for it! I ordered parts for it before I even had the car!!
Both F1Fan and CrazyAl are great when it comes to giving advise on suspension mods. I do have to admit that I did print out that post by Crazy Al when I was looking for suspension mods, just made it easier to know what each part was for and what the benefits would be. Right now I have the Tokico D-Spec shocks, steeda ultralite springs, Steeda LCA, BMR panhar bar and brace,BMR a-support brace, and BMR strut bar. The car feels great! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 07-15-2007, 03:03 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

wow, crazyAl answered all my questions and concerns about suspension.

D-Specs for sure.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

i love my sportlines until now, however everyone is going to tell you to go with tokiko d-specs, eibach pro-kit, bmr lca, bmr lca relocation kit...
Old 07-28-2007, 06:17 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

ok, i have decided to start out with:

-Steeda Ultralite Springs
-D-Specs
-BMR rear sway

any flaws? or should i get the rear PB and brace before the sway? i'm looking for a neutral feel and less body roll.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

I would recommend the Panhard Bar before teh rear sway bar...becuase when you lower it, your gonna want to have that rear axle in line...
Old 07-29-2007, 11:12 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: shooter23

I would recommend the Panhard Bar before teh rear sway bar...becuase when you lower it, your gonna want to have that rear axle in line...
I would also agree with that.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

gosh, after a lot of reading in the stickies, my head hurts. lol, i'm trying to learn everything about this S197 chassis too fast.

instead of the PB bar, would the Saleen Watts link setup compensate for the alignment of axle? (disregarding the cost issue)

i guess i like the Saleen name

ok so far, my shopping list to order this week are:
-D-Specs
-Steeda Ultralites
-BMR Adj. PB

now, whats the difference between getting the polybushing type vs. the tie rod? i'd image the tie rod would be for lube-free factor, but is there a rough ride with it? Also, would i need to buy anything else for the install? new strut tops or bumpstops??

thanks for the help! i'm sorry if it seems like these questions have been asked a million times cuz i'm sure it has.

Quick Reply: Best street suspension setup?