Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rear sway bar trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 06:16 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear sway bar trouble!!

I tried to install my GT take-offrear sway bar from Diversified on my 05 coupe and ran into a problem. With EVERYTHING INSTALLED AND TIGHTENED there is a 3/8 inch gap(I`m thinking thereshould be NO gap)between the outer bushingsand thelower shock mount.Do I have the wrong bushings or the wrong end brackets? The bar is off now but I do want to install it.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear sway bar trouble!!

You mean like this?

That's an H&R bushing and bar, and the standard GT bracket that came with a GT takeoff. The GT bushing filled the bracket, if I remember correctly.

It seems to have no negative effect, so far (two months' experience). The H&R tech folks didn't think it was significant.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Sevalley
1st Gear Member

exact same issue here. Have not had any problems. I tried moving it in place, it keeps pushing back in to create the gap. I guess the v6 and v8 sizes don't match exactly.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

My GT Take-offs came with the correct matching brackets in the box .... are they no longer shipping them like this? Mine came from diversified as well ...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:02 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

My GT Take-offs came with the correct matching brackets in the box .... are they no longer shipping them like this? Mine came from diversified as well ...
To make it clear, the GT rear bar I received was complete with brackets and bushngs that fit perfectly. The one in my picture above is H&R with their bushing and the GT bracket.

As for the other end of the car, I have a Steeda adjustable front bar sitting on my workbench. It comes with brackets and bushings. The red urethane bushings are an eighth-inch too deep for the brackets. That is, the bracket is an eighth of an inch off the bench when the bushing is resting on it. Do you suppose the aftermarket folks know something we don't, about bushings and brackets?

More confusions: quite a while ago I bought the Steeda billet brackets for the GT front bar. They fit the bushings the same way the urethane bushings fit the brackets included with the Steeda front bar. Too deep by an eighth of an inch.

Still yet even more confusion: The stamped brackets that came with the Steeda front bar have zerk fitings that match a hole in the urethane bushings. The bushings are made with a gallery of voids having the open parts facing the bar. The bar/brackets/bushings kit comes with a tiny tube of translucent lubricant, and instructions to lube the bushings before installing the bar.

And, when I online-ordered the front bar from Steeda, I also ordered a pair of braces for the chassis brackets. I mentioned the billet brackets I had. They called me to say the braces and the brackets would not work together. I appreciated that, not having to pay for braces and returns that didn't fit. Then, when the bar arrived, it included the stamped brackets.

What does all this mean? I have no ideas. I'm just frozen, trying to decide if I should install the bar with the lubricate-able brackets (and wondering if the braces are useful with them) or the lube and the billet brackets.

I'm sooo confuuused.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

ORIGINAL: dmhines

To make it clear, the GT rear bar I received was complete with brackets and bushngs that fit perfectly. The one in my picture above is H&R with their bushing and the GT bracket.

As for the other end of the car, I have a Steeda adjustable front bar sitting on my workbench. It comes with brackets and bushings. The red urethane bushings are an eighth-inch too deep for the brackets. That is, the bracket is an eighth of an inch off the bench when the bushing is resting on it. Do you suppose the aftermarket folks know something we don't, about bushings and brackets?

More confusions: quite a while ago I bought the Steeda billet brackets for the GT front bar. They fit the bushings the same way the urethane bushings fit the brackets included with the Steeda front bar. Too deep by an eighth of an inch.

Still yet even more confusion: The stamped brackets that came with the Steeda front bar have zerk fitings that match a hole in the urethane bushings. The bushings are made with a gallery of voids having the open parts facing the bar. The bar/brackets/bushings kit comes with a tiny tube of translucent lubricant, and instructions to lube the bushings before installing the bar.

And, when I online-ordered the front bar from Steeda, I also ordered a pair of braces for the chassis brackets. I mentioned the billet brackets I had. They called me to say the braces and the brackets would not work together. I appreciated that, not having to pay for braces and returns that didn't fit. Then, when the bar arrived, it included the stamped brackets.

What does all this mean? I have no ideas. I'm just frozen, trying to decide if I should install the bar with the lubricate-able brackets (and wondering if the braces are useful with them) or the lube and the billet brackets.

I'm sooo confuuused.

I'm confused to after reading all of that.....lol
Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

I solved the problem very cheaply. I got a set of 13/16" greaseable sway-bar brackets & bushings from Energy Suspension(part #9.5157G). Works great,no gap. Thatpart numberis for a pair. Cost around $20.00.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

that gapping situationwill start to make a clunking sound. the bushing should be a VERY tight fit. get the the right bushing and bracket combo, youll be glad you did after you put some miles on it.