Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

X brace Behind rear seats Invention!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:23 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: X brace Behind rear seats Invention!

Exactly. It's the main reason the spring rates on the S197 are so different (much lighter) than the earlier Mustangs.
Throw some 600# springs and 10" race rubber on an S197 and you'll see some flex. Guaranteed.
ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

As far as the convertible is concerned, there isn't a lot of benefit to be gained by bracing the rear seatback plane. Reason being that assuming that you could push some loads up to the top of the channel shape (looking in rear view at the side/trunk floor/side "U") - there is nothing to carry those loads (some combination of torsion, bending, and shear) across the door openings. The reality is that without continuous structure from C pillar to A pillar, loads will not be attracted along any new bracing in this particular application. You'll get a little in-plane stiffness (seatback plane), for whatever that's worth, butlittle else. Loads go where there is a continuous path in accordance with the stiffness of that path relative to any other available paths.

By the same token, there is a bit more to be had with the same mod in a coupe, as those loads are fed into the roof structure and carried across the door and window openings there.

It's an occasional mod with the hard-core handling fanatics within the G-body (GM) world. Even though the S197 is probably much stiffer in torsion, the effect is still present to some extent.

The benefit comes when you start tuning the suspension. The stiffer the chassis, the more effective any given spring/sta-bar/shock tuning becomes, meaning that you need less stiffness change in any of those coomponents, front or rear, to effect a given handling change, and you'll have a wider range of tuning via the front:rear distribution of lateral load transfer as well. Less motion is "lost" in the chassis.

I'm pretty sure that absolute chassis stiffness numbers are not the be-all, end-all here. The whole analysis is a "springs in series" sort of thing, so the roll resistances of the front and rear suspensions matter. Statically and dynamically, the latter including shock/strut damping effects.

Norm
(does piping stress analysis - a form of structural analysis - for a living)
Old 09-11-2007, 02:43 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson
As far as the convertible is concerned, there isn't a lot of benefit to be gained by bracing the rear seatback plane. Reason being that assuming that you could push some loads up to the top of the channel shape (looking in rear view at the side/trunk floor/side "U") - there is nothing to carry those loads (some combination of torsion, bending, and shear) across the door openings. The reality is that without continuous structure from C pillar to A pillar, loads will not be attracted along any new bracing in this particular application. You'll get a little in-plane stiffness (seatback plane), for whatever that's worth, butlittle else. Loads go where there is a continuous path in accordance with the stiffness of that path relative to any other available paths.

By the same token, there is a bit more to be had with the same mod in a coupe, as those loads are fed into the roof structure and carried across the door and window openings there.

It's an occasional mod with the hard-core handling fanatics within the G-body (GM) world. Even though the S197 is probably much stiffer in torsion, the effect is still present to some extent.

The benefit comes when you start tuning the suspension. The stiffer the chassis, the more effective any given spring/sta-bar/shock tuning becomes, meaning that you need less stiffness change in any of those coomponents, front or rear, to effect a given handling change, and you'll have a wider range of tuning via the front:rear distribution of lateral load transfer as well. Less motion is "lost" in the chassis.

I'm pretty sure that absolute chassis stiffness numbers are not the be-all, end-all here. The whole analysis is a "springs in series" sort of thing, so the roll resistances of the front and rear suspensions matter. Statically and dynamically, the latter including shock/strut damping effects.

Norm
(does piping stress analysis - a form of structural analysis - for a living)

Hi Norm,

I didn't saythat I would brace the seatback plane.I would howevertry to retain the open feeling of the convertable's structurebyusing the existing structural elementsat the rear of the chassis behind the rear seatback which are virtuallyidenticalto the coupe. There is a major problem though and it is called the folding top.There is just no way to build a reasonably effective structure with the folding top stored in place because you cannot effectivelyconnect the rear structure with the front unibody subframe under the floor.

As you know it would be very dificult to reproduce the coupe's torsional stiffness in a convertable with a reasonable weight limit and retaining any sort of access to the now usless rear seat area. The advantage of the coupe's structure is that most of the upperbody panelsare most likely designed to workassheer panels foran outer reinforced frame structure following the profile of the coupes roofline and using the B-pillars as major stiffeners. This gives the lower portion of the unibody tremendous additional stiffness that would likely never be reproduced in a convertable with simple tubes even iftwice as much material were used.

Cheers!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

At a large investment in time and effort, the best bet for obtaining any big increase inthe torsional stiffness of a convertible - short of installing an ugly roll cage - probably centers around closing off the transmission/driveshaft tunnel at the bottom, as the torsional stiffness of what's basically a thinwall square tube is a function of height cubed times metal thickness (as an open section, it's a much smaller thickness cubed times perimeter thing).

If you've gota structure with a semi-hinge in the middle, you need to fix that flexiness first; otherwise the load won't go there no matter what gets done at the ends because there still won't be much resistance in the middle to allow it to develop.

That's the general structural approach, but you do need to get the load into it from the suspension and spring/shock/sta-bar pickup points, make the now-closed section stable against all that new torsional loading, and then there are those pesky issues of driveline and exhaust access and the creation of crud traps (the messy details). Not that it hasn't been done before - the Austin-Healey Sprite and at least one Cobra replicar chassis both used this approach, and the Herb Adams "Silverbird" may have (it did have a huge center tunnel).

You could also piggyback channel shapes to the existing sills and perhaps add some diagonal stiffeners to the floor, although that wouldn't be as effective.

Norm
Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan
...Second, all you have to do is drive an S197GT convertible around the block on the street and you will know instantly that the GT convertible chassis is not nearly as stiff as the GT coupe’s chassis even on stock 17†wheels and tires. This is why I bought a coupe, well I also liked the roofline of the coupe but the chassis stiffness was a deal breaker for me. As you may know, I am a major handling and suspension hound so there was no chance that I would buy the very pretty and amazingly attractive Windveil Blue GT convertible I drove even though I loved the colors and would disappoint my daughter tremendously.

Knowing all of this information let me state that based on my own stress testing IMO there is no need for any front or rear strut or damper tower tie bars. There is just not enough movement in the strut towers or rear damper mounting areas that these parts when bolted on could measurably improve the handling or grip performance of the S197GT coupes IMO.

The situation for a GT convertible is much less clear because based on what I know of suspension and chassis design there are no convertible specific chassis stiffeners that can restore the lost chassis torsional rigidity due to the loss of the top half of the coupe’s structure. If you wanted to build chassis stiffeners for a convertible that would improve on the structural loss in torsional strength, you would need to add an awful lot of weight at the same time reducing the interior space and access to the rear seats. Even then, I seriously doubt you would likely achieve the same torsional strength as the GT coupe unless your additional stiffeners included a weld in roll bar with at least 8 points welded into the chassis and a fair amount of triangulation along with additional gusseting and bracing added around the rear cowl over the rear damper mounts. In terms of appearance and weight, the GT coupe chassis is clearly going to be the winner of this contest.

I hope this helps clarify what I have posted before and clears up any vague comments I may have made previously.

Cheers!
So basically I had pretty much summed it all up previously.

Cheers!
Old 09-07-2015, 01:26 PM
jetmek

Originally Posted by v8pilot
Do you guys no how when we pull down the rear seats down theres a big whole and you cann see the trunk soo you can fit larger items when needing to transport something. well i was thinking i never use it soo why dont i weld in a X kind of like a roll cage but behind the seat on the frame stiffing up the body anyone ever try that?
So, now that it's several years later and a couple generations later are you the guy that has developed this for Steeda?--http://www.steeda.com/mustang-rear-seat-x-brace-bare-555-5086/
Seems like someone overheard this thread and decided to produce it against everyone's theories.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Actually, the Boss 302/Laguna Secas had such an X-brace from the factory, which might have made it to market first. Kind of a flashy, red, large-diameter-tube thing. I doubt that it was added to the "regular" Boss because of this thread, but there had to be a definite reason or two.

Maybe we shouldn't overlook the possibility that it was added as much for NVH reasons as for performance improvement. Don't forget that the LS doesn't have a back seat (which occupies volume and softens it acoustically, and isolates at least the 'N' part of NVH from the rest of the cabin.

from 8 full years ago . . . damn

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-08-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:16 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Also ... Steeda came to market with this based on the demand of wanted to keep the rear seats:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang...race-555-5093/

But we also have the other ones too:

http://www.steeda.com/mustang-rear-s...bare-555-5086/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 09-22-2015, 12:52 PM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

In retrospect, I gotta say the advise being given out in 2007 regarding our chassis not benefitting from stiffening was a bit of a swing and a miss eh.....lol

Monday Morning quarterbacking granted, but sometimes Info on the net isnt always right.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I honestly don't remember discussion of this X-bracing sort of thing actually coming up anywhere but in this thread back then.

I do remember discussions of the usual suspects - STBs and SFCs back then when everybody was going off what worked on the Fox/SN95 and classic year Mustangs. Plus maybe a mention of a strictly horizontal tie bar between the rear shock mounting points (at least I think I've seen this show up on some Mustang forum).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-22-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:35 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Stiffness, shmiffness...all I know is that Boss 302 X brace looks bad-***.

Does it really need to do anything else?

Quick Reply: X brace Behind rear seats Invention!