Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

First track day. (raod racing)

Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
glgorman

Default First track day. (raod racing)

Hi,

I will be going to my first open track day at BIR (Brainerd International Raceway) in a couple weeks. And i have a couple of questions.

1.Is there is anything particular about running a mustang?

2. Ihave auto crossed my car a couple times a know how it handles at slow speeds, but not at hi speed. BIR has a 1 mile front strait and the slowest cornerwill probably be in third gear.

3 Is there any modds I should do or think about before going.

My modds are, steeda comp springs, tokico d-specs, bbs wheels and tires,and i have aproto type break cooling kitcoming this weekend.

Thank you for your time.

Glenn

Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 PM
bluetang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: First track day. (raod racing)

Hello Glenn,

I have a Black '06 Mustang GT that I have taken to BIR 4 times now. Mainly with the local BMW club but also last weekend with the Corvette club. I've been aninstructor for almost 10 years now, and the best way to get ready for a track day is to have checklist including the Helmet!

Make sure you can remove the wheelsif they have lug nut protection. I bought 5 new lugs to replace the theft protection ones. Bring a torque wrench and extra 5W20 oil although you shouldn't need it.

I run Hawk HP Plus pads without cooling and I push pretty hard. You will boil your fluid if you don't take care of the brakes. I flushed mine out and replaced with Motul. I met another Mustang GT driver (Ron) there this past weekend with stock everything except suspension. He had the FRPP kit. He had a good time even though it rained some. Great guy.

Ihave Steeda Ultralite springs in the rear, but I do have 285 in the rear and 255 in front with Michelin Pilots. Overall I do pretty well without too much drama.

Please note our cars have a fuel sender problem. I have gone out with 1/2 to 3/4 tank and within a few laps the computer beeps and says 15 miles to empty. Go fill it up and you won't get much in the tank, but it will reset the gauge and sender. Its happened to me 4 times, and once to Ron (mentioned him earlier).

Torque your lug nuts, check your pressures, and drive within your abilities and you will have a hoot.

Grant
Old 08-29-2007, 09:09 AM
glgorman

Thank for the info Grant.

I used to race sports cars throw scca about 5 years ago, so I know the basics, but i also know that the mustang will not handle like a 1600 lb sports racer.

If you are going to be there in a couple weeks, I will look for you.

If anyone else has any ideas I would love to here them.

Glenn
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 AM
PayDay99
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluetang

Please note our cars have a fuel sender problem. I have gone out with 1/2 to 3/4 tank and within a few laps the computer beeps and says 15 miles to empty.
+5
Old 09-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, gotta give a huge +1 to the funky fuel readings you'll see. I found that filling up at the start of the day and zeroing out the "gallons used" reading addresses the problem. Even though the sender has the needle swinging wildly until it starts beeping at you, whatever do-hicky reads the amount of fuel used is not adversely effected by the fuel gauge's reading. Give no weight to the gauge, but do heed the gallons used.

On another note, the stock seats do an abysmal job of holding you down in the turns. I've taken to using a CG-Lock ($30-$40), and it makes a world of difference. I highly recommend it if you aren't already running one.

Of course, our cars are nose heavy and understeer, so you'll do well to split your tire pressure (favoring the front). On OEM wheels I found 35/25 worked well.

Sorry if this is too sophomoric for you Glen. I know you have experience, I'm just trying to think of things specific to our cars. I took my car out the first time bone stock, and the brakes were definitely the weak link. I'd +1 bluetang's suggestion on upgrading the brake fluid, and go with some pads that can take the extra heat (I found the OEM's fade pretty badly). Also, our brake bias seems to be less front heavy than previous gen Mustangs, so the rears actually get some decent use. A couple of weeks ago at Road America a Roush Stage 3 Mustang cracked his rear rotors and I chewed mine up pretty bad (my fault, I knew I was pushing it with little left on the pads). The point is that the newer Mustangs seem to be harder on them than prior years, so upgrading all four pads is a good idea too.

I hope the weather holds out and you have a great time!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
glgorman

Any info is good I believe you can never have to much.

This weekend I put HAWK HP Plus brake pads and brake cooling ducts.

I have yet to upgrade my brake fluid, not sure witch fluid to put in. I used Castrol SRF in race cars but I do not want to spend that money for the stang, so if any knows a good brake fluid I open for suggestions.

I have had that fuel sender issue during autocross and never knew how to fix it. So I will try your tips.

I thank all of you for your suggestions

Glenn
Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
PayDay99
1st Gear Member

I have yet to upgrade my brake fluid, not sure witch fluid to put in. I used Castrol SRF in race cars but I do not want to spend that money for the stang, so if any knows a good brake fluid I open for suggestions.
See sig...