Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Fastener Part Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Fastener Part Numbers

ORIGINAL: Vapour Trails

ORIGINAL: itchy5

Ford recomends replacing most of them in the workshop manual. However, I do not believe that any of the bolts are torque to yield. Most of the fasteners have nuts with the nylock inserts, which are technically no good after 1 use.
I'm not sure what that means.

If the nuts are nylock, then why is replacing bolts recommended. I have no problem with replacing the nuts alone.

I believe on this forum someone posted the shop manuals instructions for shock replacement. I can't find it, but I would like to see if it states to replace the nuts or the nuts & bolts.
Torque to yield bolts usually specify that you torque to a certain value and then turn the bolt an additional amount, specified as an angle. This permently stretches the bolt, making is useless once removed.

I think this is a FORD CYA.

I recently replaced just about every suspension component. The manual says to remove and discard most of the nuts and bolts.

Here is the link if you want to see for yourself: S197 Workshop Manual
Old 06-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

I think this is a FORD CYA.
I agree. The torque values aren't overly high considering the size and grade of the bolts at issue. It is also an easy way to pad repair bills and bump profits.

Every time an alignment shop adjusts camber, are the 2 stock strut-to-spindle bolts replaced? Even better, are the replacement aftermarket *weaker* eccentric camber bolts replaced? Do shops replace the brake caliper bolts every time pads are replaced? Do track junkies (like many of us)replace brake caliper bolts every track weekend after pad swaps (twice a weekend!)? Do we replace our lug nuts every time we swap wheels or rotate tires?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

It's called Ford's gouge and screw policy. We're screwed, so now we're gouge you.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Here is the link if you want to see for yourself: S197 Workshop Manual
Thanks for that awesome link.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Searching around the net, I've found people claiming the fasteners are torque-to-yield.

Ok I can see replacing the strut to spindle fasteners on the front along with the 4 nuts under the hood to the strut mountand the lower shock bolt/nut on the rear just to feel safe - those are critical. But sway bar hardware, why? No catastrophic failure is going to occur if one side of your sway bar becomes detached. I've already seen one member of this forum tear the swaybar link to strut attachment right off the strut somehow. It'll make a lot of racket, but you are not going into the guard rail because of it.

Moreover, say to replace your suspension at home including all hardware. Then you go for an alignment, are you going to replace the strut to spindle hardware again? If you alignment doesn't turn out or you want different specsand you bring it back, are you going to replace them a third time? As you can see, it starts getting a little silly and ridiculously expensive to be this ****. Do we have a single case of a fastener failing, on this board, any board, anywhere?