Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Bigger Brakes Required , But Which Brand and Size???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 PM
robb2006GT

Default Bigger Brakes Required , But Which Brand and Size???

I Am getting the hang of driving the Stang with the KB 2.6 TS on it but stopping seems to be the problem. Baer has a kit that uses adapters and stock calipers to install 18" rotors (slotted and drilled) without opening the brake lines.Does anyone have suggestions or experience with this Mod????
Old 11-20-2007, 10:21 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Bigger Brakes Required , But Which Brand and Size???

Bigger rotors do not help braking distance or ability.
https://mustangforums.com/m_4203331/tm.htm

heres the ongoing discussion.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:34 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

14" not 18". Nobody makes an 18" rotor for our cars.

Putting bigger rotors make help a tiny bit if they cool better but you will see more return on your money if you upgrade the line, fluid, and pads.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:16 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Because of the fact that those rotors are drilled they don't have much more real surface area than our stock rotors do. The only advantage they give you is less rotating mass. Stopping power wont significantly improve.

With the exception of the boat anchor 5.4 iron block - you are now driving a GT500. If you HAVE to have a bbk - go with the FRPP Brembo kit. It's a great price.

pads, lines, fluid, ducts - It's the proven solution.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:12 PM
JB_Sonic_197
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: robb2006GT

I Am getting the hang of driving the Stang with the KB 2.6 TS on it but stopping seems to be the problem. Baer has a kit that uses adapters and stock calipers to install 18" rotors (slotted and drilled) without opening the brake lines.Does anyone have suggestions or experience with this Mod????
If you're going to that extent, why are you worried about opening the brake lines? I have the 13" Steeda rotors on the rear, that relocate the factory caliper, guess what, the rubber line had to be replaced when the caliper moved.

If you want better brakes, braided hoses are a plus, so don't sweat opening the brake lines, you'll want fresh fluid too.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: robb2006GT
Hi robb2006GT,

You don't need larger brakes, the stock calipers and rotors are large enough to stop a truck and can easily stop your Mustang. Do you know howa car stops when you press on the brake pedal? It's NOT the brakes that stop your car it is the TIRES that stop your car. Adding a supercharger does nothing to make you car less capable of stoppingnor does it change the amount of grip your tirescan generate. If you seem to have problems stopping now with the addition of your supercharger I suggest you learn to drive better.

HTH!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:09 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

This is the right idea here at http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...s197stage1.gifalthough I might use different brands for the SS brake lines, pads and fluid...

John
Old 11-26-2007, 06:36 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwgroovin

This is the right idea here at http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...s197stage1.gifalthough I might use different brands for the SS brake lines, pads and fluid...

John
Hi John,

This is a perfect first step for those who want to slightly upgrade their brakes to get a little bit more fade resistance and better pedal feel. It falls short of what you need for high performance use though because the pads and rotors are still subject to overheating. I've never heard of that pad material so I would look to a more established pad from Ferodo, EBC or Hawk. Ferodo DS2500 is almost too much for the street because they need some heat in the brake system to work well no matter what the advertisingblurb says.EBC Yellow 'R' compund pads are my second choice for a heavy high powered street car like the S197GTand Hawk's HPA padsare a well known quanity withvery good street mannersandimproved performance focus. If you are in snow or cold country you want a street pad or you will have no brakes for several stops. The Hawk HPA and EBC Yellow or Red pads are better if you live in coldconditions.

The combination of a high performance street pad with their moderate heat capability and an effective spindle mounted brake duct makes for a good combination. Streetcompatable compoundsthat are kept cool and in their temperature comfort range work very well,live a long time, dust minimally and are low noise. You just can't beatthis setup for the street and it is reasonably priced.

HTH!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Snakebyte94

Wow.
The reason for bigger brakes is so they with cool faster. 6 piston vs 4 piston makes for a better clamping force. Either way you go stock or bigger brakes. You should install cooling ducks for the brakes. That will help more than anything. Also I would race on 18" wheels no larger. Quantum Motorsports - 2005 to 2007 Mustang Brake Cooling Kits
Old 12-29-2007, 10:47 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Snakebyte94

Wow.
The reason for bigger brakes is so they with cool faster. 6 piston vs 4 piston makes for a better clamping force. Either way you go stock or bigger brakes. You should install cooling ducks for the brakes. That will help more than anything. Also I would race on 18" wheels no larger. Quantum Motorsports - 2005 to 2007 Mustang Brake Cooling Kits
Wow. just b/c it cools faster doesnt mean it will reduce brake distance.