Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Sport Or Eibach Pro...Here We Go Again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Sport Or Eibach Pro...Here We Go Again...

ORIGINAL: F1FanIn testing the Eibach Pro-Kit andSportline springs on a spring tester I found these Eibach springs are like a light switch in theirspring ratetransition from the very soft initial spring rate to the working spring rate. In essence there isnot aprogressive rate seen in the real world. The claims that they are progressive rate springsare correctbutthey are not working as a progressive rate spring when installed in the S197GT chassis! These springs are working as if they are a two piece coilover wth a main and tenderspring. Once the tender spring (the low inital spring rate), is compressed intocoil bind the main or working spring rate is in effect. On these cars the Eibach springs are not operating as progressive springs unless you are airborne or going through a dip in the road. You may as well buy a straight rate spring because when installed in an S197GTand driving on the road they are for all intents and purposes the same spring.
I'm going to (belatedly) stick my neck out a little and suggest that you may also get into the lower rate region of this sort of spring on the inboard corners while cornering hard. And that's NOT when you want the car's behavior to start changing on you. Just get the straight-rate springs in a stiffness that you can live with and be done with it.

I kind of ended up here looking for answers to whether the Vogtland springs are linear, bi-linear, or progressive. Anybody know?

Norm
Old 12-25-2007, 06:44 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I too would like to know if the Vogtland springs are linear or progressive.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Lowering Project Complete! Could not imagine doing this without an air impact wrench. I love this combo! Rides like it's on rails and no brake dive, etc.

Here's what I finally did:
[ul][*]Eibach Pro-Kit Springs ($140 shipped from a forum classified)[*]Steeda Pro Action Non-adjustable struts/shocks (about $400)[*]Steeda adjustable Pan Hard bar ($160) - Haven't measured yet to see if adjustment necessary[*]GT500 Upper Strut Mounts (like the GT but beefier and cheaper than Steeda, BMR, etc) 0 Knocking - Retail $80 - paid a little more because NO ONE has these in stock[*]New strut nuts from Ford[*]New Rubber Isolators (2) from Ford[*]One afternoon[/ul]
Steeda rear sway going on soon. With this array of parts, no spring compressor was needed as I had every part necessary. I had to find the schematic for the rubber isolators on line and take it to the Ford parts guy because they couldn't find it.
Anyway, very pleased!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the votes that helped the decision.
Kevin