Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Posible DIY MONEY SAVER? brake cooling

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM
HunterS664
1st Gear Member

Default Posible DIY MONEY SAVER? brake cooling

Hey guys,
so. during the 7 hour school day i get thinking about MODS!!
As we know, to take our mustangs to the track a pretty manditory mod is to install a brake cooling kit.
if you look at some of the good kits like agent47 or FRPP they are over $380 dollars for:
-High Temp Hose
-Grill Ducts
-Spindle Mounts
-Common bolts that are needed
-& Hose Clamps

I just couldnt see where the expense came into the kits that they sell. Its not like thats a long list of parts that are extreemly rare.

SO

I did some measuring of the GT bumper and some searches on the internet and i cant see why you wouldnt be able to put this together yourself for(eventhough it would bemore work)considerably less.

Putting together aftermarket pieces i came up with average prices of these parts:
Grill Ducts
-The GT's lower grill has the two small (releativly 8.5"X3") plastic covers that could be cut out to fit the ducts
- I still havent beenable to find any ducts sold in the US that fit this little area, the average price of a ductisaround $17.00or so which is not bad. Quantum motorsports has them WAY marked up for around 75.00 but im sure u can find ones that fit.
- The only ones ive been able to find that would work are Revotec ID150-7at this website: http://www.revotec.com/airintakeducts.htm... but those arent in america : /

Common Bolts and Hose Clamps
- Im posotive you can find these at your local hardware store for very little money

High Temp Hose
- Quantum motorsports has great hose, good brake cooling kits come with a 3" hose and their good hose is priced at $13.00 a foot
- Now im guessing by the pictureof this FRPP kit sitting in the trunk of a mustang that the hose cant be more than 4 feet or so
heres the pic:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...ayphotohosting
- So if you were to buy 4 feet of Quantum hose it would be $52.00. not to bad

Spindle Ducts
- I have not really done a ton of research yet on these but as ive been told by F1Fan, the best spindle mounted ducts are the ones made by Agent47 and FRPP
- Quantum makes some for 75.00 which seems high but ive heard that those are not very impressive ducts and that seems allitle high for ok parts.
- So depending on whether or not ford or agent47 would sell just the spindle mount seperatley and how much it would be will make or break this whole thing and there closed for today so ill call them tmrw.

even so,
lets say you can buy those from FRPP and there overpriced at.... 90.00 lets say
that would add up to ....
$174
thats factoring in about 15.00 for hardware. I really dont know how much that would cost but i cant imagine it would be alot more

so even though this would be slightly more work, to cut an square in your lower grill sides for the ducts.
-it would be a great kit
considering Agent47 and FRPP to be the best kits (by F1Fan)
- it would be $210.00 less than FRPP and $260.00 less than A47(keep in mind the A47 you not only have to purchase the cooling kit, you have to purchase the lower grill they make also)
thats a pretty good amount

would yall be willing to do this mod? do you think its worth looking more into?
what are yalls thoughs
has anyone done this

Hunter
Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 PM
HunterS664
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Posible DIY MONEY SAVER? brake cooling

ok so i forgot to double the hose price and that would make it 227.00 which is still cheaper.

okay another option, do you think you can buy the A47 brake cooling kit and not use the GT lower grill replacement?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:32 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ehh....if i am a this serious about road racing then i would probably just pay the 400+ for the agent 47 kit.....you have to remember that most people race in straight lines not curves on here......but i do commend you for coming up with a great idea and hope it works for you!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

check out Coleman racing products.

Quantum has a kit for @ $250

The Agent 47 is designed to work with their fascia. Without it you will have a hard time getting air to the intake elbows, which are a little restrictive. The big aadvantage to their kit is that is such a clean plug-n-play installation.

My kit from Ross Murray is the best. For enough interest I could swing a group deal via p.m.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 PM
HunterS664
1st Gear Member

ya the quantum "race" kit.
But that says it doesnt work with the stock calipers and stuff only big brake kits.

i cant find the Ross Mustang do you have a link or something?

Oh and with the agent 47 i was thinking of just removing the hose clamps from the intake elbows and buying ones from somewhere else b/c a 3" pipe is a 3" pipe, im assuming it can just as easily be clamped to a different 3" bumper duct that could be modified to fit into the stock GT grill (after you cut out the right size whole)
and the bumper ducts are like 17 dollars for a pair so you would have a great kit for.... $212.00
thats a steal acording to F1Fan becasue he says the over 400 dollar price is even worth it
Old 11-30-2007, 07:21 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Or just buy this kit for $120...

http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...e_duct_kit.php
Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

here are a couple pics of Ross Murray's plates. I think they speak for themselves. They are tig-welded aluminum. Notice how they enclose the hat and direct the air in.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:31 PM
HunterS664
1st Gear Member

oh man those are sweet!!
how much is your Ross Murray set? and where do you buy it? or even can you?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:13 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Around what ballpark figure is for ur kit rodeo?? From experience tig welding is expensive -.-

Andrew
Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

The kit from Ross is $259 I believe. The scoops and tubing are bought out obviously, but the plates are made from scratch. The material and the tig welding is where all the money is in the price.

FWIW, I have gotten around Buttonwillow Raceway on STOCK pads with these ducts when I was in a pinch. I STILL ran around and away from an S281.

Quick Reply: Posible DIY MONEY SAVER? brake cooling