Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Torque arms for the S197

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Default Torque arms for the S197

I finalized the suspension install, I'm very happy and want to thank F1Fan and other for the suggestion, took the car to the track on the weekend and I am really surprised on what the car can do with the mods.

Just installed: H&R Sport springs, Steeda adj front bar and rear with links, Tokico D-specs, adj. PH bar and brace. Dind't installed the bump steer kit cause I thought it wasn't needed, this springs lowering is pretty small and they are still facing downwards but after taking them to the track, the nosedive on the braking seems to get them and feels weird so may add the inch it lowered.

Now to the topic, I had this TA on the fox and loved it, saw that griggs has them, maybe MM will release them (they should not be that different than the one on the fox except for the front), tha car still have the nosediving problem under braking that the fox had, that was cured with the TA along with improving the traction a lot.

What do you think of this setup on the S197?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Torque arms for the S197

A torque arm will not affect how the front of the car behaves under braking. That's a function of front wheel rate and anti-dive geometry.

If you're going to get involved in anti-squat tuning, I think it's easier to work with a 3-link, since you can change the A/S without screwing up the axle roll steer. That's not the case with a torque arm, though it is a big step up from the Fox's original triangulated 4-link arrangement.

I don't have enough dimensions to say what the S197's 3-link does in terms of anti-lift, but I think that, in general, 3-link suspensions with a short upper link tend to lose a little of the anti-lift as they rise up under braking. That's not a bad thing, BTW. It means that you're less likely to get into a case of brake hop (a huge problem with certain years of F-body, I might add). By comparison, torque arms tend to add anti-lift as they rise.

Norm
Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lito

I finalized the suspension install, I'm very happy and want to thank F1Fan and other for the suggestion, took the car to the track on the weekend and I am really surprised on what the car can do with the mods.

Just installed: H&R Sport springs, Steeda adj front bar and rear with links, Tokico D-specs, adj. PH bar and brace. Dind't installed the bump steer kit cause I thought it wasn't needed, this springs lowering is pretty small and they are still facing downwards but after taking them to the track, the nosedive on the braking seems to get them and feels weird so may add the inch it lowered.

Now to the topic, I had this TA on the fox and loved it, saw that griggs has them, maybe MM will release them (they should not be that different than the one on the fox except for the front), tha car still have the nosediving problem under braking that the fox had, that was cured with the TA along with improving the traction a lot.

What do you think of this setup on the S197?
Did you install LCA relocation brakets? That should get you the adjustability to tweak the rear anti squat/dive, and at least bring the LCA's back to flat.

Tom
Old 12-19-2007, 02:30 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

call griggs they would most likely be willing to talk to you about this.