Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Sport Springs vs. Ultralite

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 PM
woulduno

Default Steeda Sport Springs vs. Ultralite

I have been reading up on the board in regards to springs.. I want to stay 1" on the front and 1 1/4" on the rear for drop. The Eibachs seems to drop more than this, along with Ford Racing kits. So I have looked at Steeda's kits and see they have the Sport Springs and Ultralites, but their website is rather vague on the differences between the two. The price differences are minor, and I want a firm ride, but not something that will make my fillings chatter.. I do intend to pair the springs with Steeda's upper mounts, and D-spec's.. I also have BMR LCA's, panhard bar, and such in the works too..

Does anyone know the real differences between the two Steeda kits? Also, anyone have any recommendations for other kits that only drop the same amount as the Steeda gear? I live in Colorado, and our roads get pretty beat up during the winter..

Merry Christmas!
Scott
Old 12-23-2007, 09:35 PM
reeflover
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Sport Springs vs. Ultralite

I live 30 miles from Steeda and have visited them many times. They told me that the sport springs are the best choice for the daily driver. I also got the same re-mark from another shop.I am going to put a set on my car soon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/75574/D073D765EB6D466BA0D70A81D3A86953.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-23-2007, 10:21 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

I thought that theultralites had a higher spring rate than the sports but apparently not so....apparently the ultralites have a slightly lower drop and are as the name implies lighter

The competition have a higher spring rate than both ultralites and sport.

There are a couple of posts that do a good job of spelling out differences btw various spring products including Eibach, Steeda etc. just do a search and they will pop up.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:24 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: reeflover

I live 30 miles from Steeda and have visited them many times. They told me that the sport springs are the best choice for the daily driver. I also got the same re-mark from another shop.I am going to put a set on my car soon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/75574/D073D765EB6D466BA0D70A81D3A86953.jpg[/IMG]
That’s strange because they told me just the opposite. When I first got my Stang I talked to Steeda about the springs and they recommended the UltraLites for a daily driver that would not do any auto X or road events. The spring rates between the sport and ultra’s are supposed to be the same just the Ultra’s are made from a smaller diameter spring and are lighter, thus would not hold up as well on a road course. I have had the D-Specs and UltraLites for 11/2 years now and am very happy with the ride quality and handling ability.
Earl
Old 12-24-2007, 06:36 AM
reeflover
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I dont know why the sales guy there (Jason was his name)would tell me one thing and you another. I will talk to them again before I make the purchase.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'm a little curious as to why the Ultralites are less expensive than the standard Sports. Normally when you've got less spring weight (i.e. metal volume) the intensity of the work done on the spring goes up (that's an 'energy per unit volume' thing). Unless the material in the Ultralites is more readily available than that for the standard Sports, I would expect the material cost for the lighter spring to be higher, with about the same fabrication cost.

Perhaps that's what's behind the Ultralites not being recommended for road course or auto-X work, while the more resilient Sports may not be subject to the same warning/restriction (from what I've seen in this thread).

Norm
Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 AM
garbledwords

I believe that the Ultralites have a little bit less drop then the Sports.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:34 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have the ultralites and Tacobill has write up on the install in the main 2005-2008 page. I understand the differences are minimal and the drop is close to the same for both sets. The ultralites may settle sooner but they have about a 1.25 inch drop in the rear and a one inch drop in the front. I do not use mine as a DD but the ride did not change much in regards to the feel of the car and its handling. I did notice it is a bit stiffer but even w/ my 20's the ride is great. PM sent woulduno- link to install...https://mustangforums.com/m_3070963/tm.htm