Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Unusual clunking and squealing noise....

Old 01-09-2008, 03:13 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default Unusual clunking and squealing noise....

Recently installed Eibach Prokit, D-Specs, Steeda HD strut mounts, and Adj panhard.

All is good, except i noticed some weird noises today.

During cruising, i hear a weird small squealing noise as if the tires had sticky gum on it but tire is clear and noise cannot be pinpointed with car not moving. Nothing looks like its rubbing on anything.... Only heard on the front driver side.

And a clunking noise is heard on both sides of the front end. the clunk doesnt happen over bumps, but rather after the first shift into a gear, then braking. I shift into R, reverse, brake a bit hard and a clunk is made. I go rearward again but the noise does not replicate. I shift into D, go forward a bit, brake a bit hard, and clunk is heard again. COntinue to move forward and brake, no more clunk.

I'm about to jack up the front end and reinspect it, but i was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

Install details:
-Did not cut bumpstop on the front end. Not sure if i was supposed to....
-Have slight negative camber on the front, need realignment but not enough negative to rub anything.
-Rear end is perfect, no noise or clunking.
-Not sure if i properly torqued the top bolt on the strut down good enough b/c cannot put torque wrench on it. Need double wrenching to tighten. I'm tempted to use the impact on it just a bit, but i know warranty issues with Tokico.
-Same goes for sway bar mounts.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Unusual clunking and squealing noise....

I have almost exactly the same setup (J&M plates instead of Steeda). I've not noticed any squealing noise or strange clunks. I think I might try your testing procedure though and see if I hear anything.

I did not cut the bumpstop, not really sure what you mean by that. I know what your saying about torquing those nuts, there doesn't seem to be a good way to do it, so I kind of used the 'get it as tight as I can' method.

Many guys that reported 'clunking' in the front eventually traced it to the 4 bolts holding the front sway on or the end links. Even though you probably didn't loosen the sway mount bolts maybe you should check them.

Sorry, not much help.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Just out of curiousity, did you replace or reuse the single use fasteners? This post details which ones they are - https://mustangforums.com/m_3886399/...tm.htm#4347979
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

i did not replace any fasteners or bolts b/c the car is still pretty new. i used loctite blue on every single bolt/nut.

yes, i also did the "tight as i can" method. 2 people, the sway bolt was also not torqued to spec (not possible), but i'll try again.

i greatly appreciate the input and help!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

OH MY GOODNESS.....

Found the problem. This is by far the most embarassing and biggest mistake i've ever done when working with cars. Well, turns out the lug nuts on both front wheels were NOT torqued down. Hand tightened. It was 2 brothers and i working on it that day. 2nd bro was supposed to torque them down, but we can only blame ourselves also for not double checking.

2 of the lugs on each wheel were pretty tight, which kept the wheel hanging a bit longer.

Well, at least no more clunks or weird whining noises!! and no one hurt..