Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Education on different PHB, please

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Education on different PHB, please

Double adj rod ended it is!

Is there added NVH with this quality type of rod end and how much longevity will it have on a DD that sees the track intermittently?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Rod-ends are metal bearings. There can be a touch of noise, but good rod-ends aren't like baby rattles (and we only use tough ones with teflon liners). Longevity is fine, worst case if the noise is too much is you buy new ends @ $30, but I've had mine for years without issue.

If noise is a primary concern than a poly/rod bar is the best choice. Less deflection than all poly bushings, but potentially less noise than rod/rod because you can mount the bushing side on the body side of the car isolating the rod-end. These are available adjustable as well. Again, we have them all shown on my website.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:51 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I was hoping you would say that a quality rod end will not be that noisy.

Is the double adj on car unit stonger than the single adj on car unit?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

What's "that noisy"? I have zero issue on my Camaro with PHB noise and the bar is the same but for the Mustang's being a touch longer. You *CAN* get some noise, many times there is none at all. If there is some, it's not something most folks can even detect with the radio on, even softly.

Rod-ends aren't about quiet, but good quality ones that are tight aren't noisy. Noise comes from play, even a few thousandths of an inch can make a small clunk. Bushings are quieter for sure that's why even hyper-sports cars have bushings and not rod-ends. But where they are used and so on effects how much.

I won't run a double rod-end LCA because of noise, but will always run a double rod-end PHB. Mounted much further from you than the LCA's, andyou have but one rod-end on the body, and the loads are different too. LCA's are generally poly/rod to get the best combo of noise vs. performance and articulation w/o bushing wind-up problems. This can change depending on the situation, but I'm talking a serious street car. Track only cars, I might go double rod-end.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:25 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks Sam
Old 01-11-2008, 06:41 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I've had Maximum Motorsport's aluminum rod ended bar from day 1. I never heard it. My control arms are another story, but tolerable given their purpose.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:54 AM
ProCrsh
1st Gear Member

do you guys make lca relocationbrackets? im lookin for a adj lca/ relocation brackeat and phb package if you could point me in teh right direction.

thanks
vinny
Old 01-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

They are in the works and will be ready soon, but not quite yet.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM
jwbrown21
2nd Gear Member

if a car is lowered is it a must to have lower control arm's relocated? Also if a car is lowered 1.5" would adj. lca's be the way to go along w/ a double adj. panhard bar?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

No, it's not a must. The only reason folks think it is--that's what those selling LCA brackets tell you. I sell them, and I'm telling you it's not a "MUST DO" thing. And I keep pointing out there are cars being sold new and stock that are lowered and do NOT have them. They have their uses, and we do use them from time to time, but far from always.

Adjustable LCA's are not a requirement for the adjustability, though that's nice. The way we do our (UMI) Adjust. LCA's causes them to not bind the axle in roll. Most non-adjustables do bind in roll, and that's not ideal. So when we change LCA's, we tend skip the non-adjusts for that reason alone. I do sell non-adjustables, and even in a kit with the upper if you like.

Quick Reply: Education on different PHB, please