Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Vogtland's or Steeda's or H&R's Springs??? Suspension Advice Please Decide For Me, I'm Tired

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Default RE: Vogtland's or Steeda's or H&R's Springs??? Suspension Advice Please Decide For Me, I'm Tired

PM sent to 2006gtmike (or rather PM answered). The spring rates are very similar, but not the same... and the windings of the springs are not exactly alike to compensate for iron block, blower and intercooler an associated plumbing and coolant. Putting these springs on a normal GT is very, very workable if you'd like to go that way.

Getting back to the way folks recommend parts for a second. Vogtland springs are very nice and excellent quality. I'm a Vogtland WD, and they make me springs for f-bodies (100 sets at a time). That's because I like everthing about them but the springs rates for that particular car, which I work with a lot, and autocross (Yes, I have both a Camaro and a Mustang...). In the case of the Mustang, their production spring is a lot better and superior to Eibach's and a few others that float around out there. Add up the fact I could sell F-body springs, production springs and save myself a lot of investment..... but I don't because I don't feel they are what they need to be. So I go my own way. That's how I run my business. It's not about pure loyalty (though I am loyal), it's about what works best for the customer's needs. Not everyone is like that.... actually few companies are.

What's more is I can also offer technical insight into the dampers and settings. A generic terms like "set them 1 turn" is just that. They are putting you in middle and letting you play. That's fine, but I like to explain what the shock damping changes do, and how the car tends to react to give the owner a better idea of how to tune the car in. And I actually setup these cars for competition purposes and have used both D-specs and Koni's.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vogtland's or Steeda's or H&R's Springs??? Suspension Advice Please Decide For Me, I'm Tired

are the vogtland leveling springs the ones cervinis use on there cars? They calim 3/4" and 1.25"????
Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

don't Vogtland Springs use progressive rates? i thought i read that somewhere... i always thought that for AutoX and road courses, you don't want progressive...
Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Ahh. The world of the 'net. There are progressive springs, and there are springs that have more than one spring rate and change in steps. And where that step happens dictates if the spring is really acting progressively on the car in motion, or as a linear spring. What I'm saying is all progressives are not the same. And often you need to make a springs that's got progressive coils in it to keep it in place (we have to do that with our F-body springs, and Mustang rears that are stiffer than stock have to be like this too). A stiffer spring is shorter than stock, so when the axle droops the spring could come loose if you don't have some tension left.

The fact is the Vogtlands in use (and frankly the Eibach rears too) are actually not progressive like you'd be led to believe. The soft end is just sucked up and gone mostly from the weight of the car sitting on them and because of the winding that don't vary all the way from start to finish the spring isn't always changing rate. The cone shaped ones do change rate all along the process as they are choosing to do their work that way instead of changing the pitch of the windings. Other springs exist that have coil-spacing that varies from top to bottom, and those change rates every minute they move.

You need to think of springs more in progressive and dual-stage. Ideally I feel you want to minimize the change in spring rate. The shocks don't know the rate is changing and since shocks damp the springs, it's important that the spring rate doesn't suddenly double or triple in it's working range.

And that's a performance thing, not just a racing thing. Race cars never use progressive springs, but then neither do most performance cars. Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari's you name it. You don't want variables in your handling car. It's lovely marketing, "progressive" springs.

I have all the rates, and most importantly the averages of the Vogtland springs in working range.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: sweetlou69

are the vogtland leveling springs the ones cervinis use on there cars? They calim 3/4" and 1.25"????
I really don't know.... I wish I could answer that question for you.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:38 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

Ya either way im prob gonna go vogtland anyway. With the roush kit my front is already pretty darn low as is. especially with crappy roads here in MA.