Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What tires do you AutoX/Road Race On?

Old 01-20-2008, 11:01 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default What tires do you AutoX/Road Race On?

Interested in both tires you drive to the track on and race as well as shoes you might change into when you get there.

Other tires you've used (and now don't)? Why do you use what you do now?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM
CliffyDeuce
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What tires do you AutoX/Road Race On?

I use the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 for both daily driving and the couple of autocrosses I've done. Huge improvement over the stock tires, but they were nearing the end of their useful life be the time I bought the car. Also, the KDW2s are wider (255 vs 235) and on wider wheels, so that explains some of the improvement. Overall, I'm very happy with them. As for shoes, I wear Puma Futurecats for autocrossing. I actually bought them some time ago because they're really comfortable - they're like wearing slippers, but look nice enough to wear out of the house. Not much support, so not the best if you'll be doing a lot of walking or standing. I wear regular sneakers when I'm working cones at the autocross.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I have heard a lot of racers recommend Kumho MX tires for road course and racing. It is a street tire that is pretty soft, 180-200 AA A tread rating, so they have good bite. They don't carry sizes for the 05+ but most of these guys that have them run 275/40/18 which gives you a little bump in gearing too.

When I go to the track I wear Adidas Goodyear shoes, they are not as flexible as the sparco driving shoes but I can walk on them all day and not have sore feet.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Sam Strano won his national championship on Hoosier A6's in solo and that pretty much was the dominate tire for F-stock. They are a great tire, not a street tire. Any R-compound tire you run on is not a good street tire, you will wear them out in less then 10,000 miles.

Depending on how many events you run, you will only get about a season out of a set of Hoosier's. They will just heat cycle out and be no good. If you run a track event on them you will speed up that heat cycle and use them up even quicker. If you want a tire to use for both track and Auto-X that will hold up you best choice would be a Toyo RA-1 or the new Toyo R888. They arent as fast as the hoosier or even a Kumho v710 but they wont heat cycle out on you through the season. You arent going to find that .3-.5 of a second racing on a hoosier vs toyo.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

I use BF Goodrich KDWs in 275/40-18 for HPDEs. They don't have utilmate grip but do provide significantly more than stock and wear nicely too. I wear Piloti Prototypo shoes for driving events, these are even comforable enough to wear regularly as they have more padding than most driving shoes.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I'm using Yokohama Advan Neova 235/40R18 right now. They are the same width as stock and work pretty well. Much better grip than the stock tires however they feel a little "greasy" on really hot days. They have a treadwear rating of 180 I believe. I think I'll try the Nitto NT01's next at 245/40 width. They still have a 100 tread wear rating. At this point I am too cheap to spend this kind of money for R compound slicks with a tread wear rating of 40.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Tires are literally like shoes. There are different ones for different uses. There are R-comps, there are "max performance" summer only, there are ultra-high performance all-season's (the best all around bet for areas that see cold weather).

The best "track day" tires are the ones you get the most enjoyment from. More grip equals more speed, and tends to change the balance for the good (less understeer on turn in, less oversteer on power) vs. street tires. The less grippy the tire, the more understeer in, and oversteer out.... in general. And if you opt for R-comps know they aren't all the same. Some are R's (big R and all about speed), and some are r's (little r, still fast, but more durable... not front line competition tires).

I don't know that tires are any different than trying to pick any other item that "does it all".