Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

money to spend on suspension,need advice

Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
motoxdirtrider84
2nd Gear Member

Default money to spend on suspension,need advice

I am getting 4.10's installed on Feb 25th but I am interested in getting suspension mods before then since i already get enough wheel hop. I have about $500 to spend on suspension upgrades. Right now i only have the Roush Rear Springs. Can you guys recommend me a combo of parts that will help and that are under $500?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default RE: money to spend on suspension,need advice

are you just looking to stop wheel hop?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:25 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

Ya tell us more details what exactly your looking for then we can go from there. goin for looks? ride quality? kill wheel hop on launch?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:44 PM
motoxdirtrider84
2nd Gear Member

okay sorry, my first priority is reducing wheel hop as much as possible then improving the overall ride quality comes next....looks isnt too much important except for the front sway bar.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

when you say front sway bar, i'm assuming you mean a front strut tower brace over the engine... i don't see how a front sway bar would improve looks.

first off, are you already lowered? one-piece driveshaft? plan on doing either if you haven't already? from your sig, i assume you don't have either. the first thing you're going to want to stop wheel hop are some lower control arms. if you do plan on lowering or getting a one-piece driveshaft, you're going to need them to be adjustable. the general consensus is that a poly/rod-end combo type is best. i have a set of BMR that i'm waiting to install and they seem to be the most common application around here. BMR "Street Combo" Type Adj. LCA's with a poly bushing on one end and a rod-end on the other is what i would recommend (it's what i bought). those run $260 on Lethal Performance: BMR LCA's those should significantly reduce your wheel hop. if you want to take it a step further, you can get a 3rd Link/Upper Control Arm as well. in CrazyAl's writeup, he says to go with BMR's solid UCA with a spherical bearing like this: BMR UCA.

with shipping, those 2 items alone will put you up around $500. some people go with an adj. UCA and solid LCA's, you can really do either, just personal preference, but you only need one of them to be adjustable. for instance, you could do BMR Adj. UCA and BMR Solid Combo LCA's. that route turns out to be cheaper (by about $30 i think), but they're supposedly harder to adjust.

just LCA's should take care of wheel hop and you could opt out of the UCA and go with a new rear sway bar like this. i also have that, but don't have it on yet.

if you don't plan on lowering or getting a one-piece driveshaft, i would recommend getting the Solid LCA's and the Rear Sway Bar. if the wheel hop persists, you can add more later. the sway bar stiffens the rear and promotes over-steer a little more, thus reducing understeer or "plowing". also, with the help of the LCA's, it should keep your rear tires planted better while cornering, definitely a worthwhile mod. the solid LCA's and sway bar together come to just shy of $400, so i would also recommend a Steeda G-Trac Brace which will tighten everything up a little more and help turn in and overall feel. it's a $60 part that's easy to install. so with shipping, those 3 items should come out to a tad under $500.

the suspension mods in my sig are not installed yet, i went off of lots and lots and lots of advice i found in different threads. so no i don't have experience with the parts, but this is all what i have understood after reading these handling threads for months. i'd still talk to a few of the experts like SamStrano, CrazyAl, F1Fan, etc. hopefully it was helpful.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 AM
FMGT/CS

can anyone tell me the price of factory Lca bolt I called the dealer they said around 128.00 for the kit
and is the kit what I need or just the four bolts
Old 01-24-2008, 01:52 AM
FMGT/CS

Can anyone tell me the price of Lca factory bolts I called the dealer they said 128.00 for the kit.
Also is the kit what I need or just the four bolts.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

How would we know what you need without telling us your problem or issue.

If you would like new bolts then go to the parts counter at Ford and tell them you only need the bolts.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 AM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

Just the bolts is all you need. I think 2 of the bolts are 6 bucks and the other 2 are 4-5 bucks.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

well if your looking to cut wheel hop id get the LCAS and upper third link. With the extra cash maybe get a pair of non adjustable shocks for ride quality. But if you can fork over another 200$ or so id def upgrade to a set of tokico D-specs adjustables! But if your just doing wheel hop def go LCAS and upper link and if u want a rear sway bar sometimes helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: money to spend on suspension,need advice