Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Mickey Thompson ET Streets

Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mickey Thompson ET Streets

DRAG RADIALS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE DAILY DRIVEN TIRES. How many times are people gonna ask this question? They are a specialty race tire that is meant to be used a cheater tire to hobble from home to the track and back. Their lifespan is about 1500 miles in daily driven use (NItto 555r's being the exception). You wanna risk your life and your car by being a tool and running these daily, I am cool with that... but make sure before you loose control of your car on a puddle that someone left by washing their car (or the little spot of oil on the road from the guy whose car leaks like the Exxon Valdez, or when a surprise rain shower pops up, or one ofa hundred other posibilities), that you ask the person your going to hit if they don't mind dieing because your too lazy to change your tires when you go to and get home from the track.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I have the M/T ET Street bias plys (26x11.5x17). No way in hell would I ever use them on the street. They are an acident waiting to happen.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackS197

[hr]

Im plaining on getting a pair. Is it alright for the street? I drive my car bout 2 times a week.
ET Streets are downright squirrelly on the highway. They'll follow every rut in the road and handle like crap on curves. I've tried driving to the track twice in them and never again. Now I only use them if I go trailered or have someone follow me in a truck with the Streets in the back. If it rains find an underpass and wait it out.

I bought a cheap set of 17x9" wheels and put MT ET Street Radials (295/45R17) for those times I have to drive to the track alone. Stick like glue, even on the curves at outrageous speeds.

John
Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

I just got a set of 265/40/18s delivered today!!! ET Street Radials... they are to replace my BFGs of the same size. My car is not a DD and has been driven only once in the rain with the BFGs about 80 miles to the track, I had no issue. Generally it is recommended not to drive them in the rain.
How long did your BFG's last?

Earl
Earl,

I still got them... I ordered the MTs because the size is a hard one to find. I have the BFGs on for around 2500 miles and 3 trips to the track with about 20 passes on them.

IMO... if your going to drive on the street with a DR you MUST have a radial. The ET Streets are not good to drive on IMO.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:49 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

I would say track only
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

In addition tothe current thread involving another member's $8000 mishap involving DR's and wet roads, there's a different reason not to run a track tire on the street even if it is DOT-approved.

Do you want to heat-cycle most of the best of the tires' grip away just driving around on the street? Tire grip does go away with both temperature and use, so the extra grip provided by a DOT-legal competition tire may be mostly gonewellbefore the tread depth has reached the legal limit.

It's the same thing with autocross "R-compound" tires, and nobody drives those things on the street even just to an event.

Norm