MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   S197 Handling Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section-121/)
-   -   Should the bumpstops be snipped after lowering? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/403572-should-the-bumpstops-be-snipped-after-lowering.html)

oh6ponygirl 02-06-2008 08:03 PM

Should the bumpstops be snipped after lowering?

I just got done installing the Steeda Sports and after a test drive it is evident that the rear rubber bumpstops are making contact with the frame. I can only feal a slight thump under the harshest of bumpsand the rubber part is leaving a nice clean shiny contact spot. I was wondering if it was common practice to shave the tops off or not. I must admit these springs dropped the car more than I was expecting but I can't complain about the look. I remember snooping under a Shelby GT at a local dealer several months ago and I don't think the stops under it were different or modified in any way.

leo_06gt 02-06-2008 08:08 PM

RE: Should the bumpstops be snipped after lowering?

I cut just the upper most "mushroomy" part. No negative problems to report because of it.

Argonaut 02-06-2008 08:14 PM

Just as a point of reference - with the Eibach-Pro you do not cut the bumpstops. The steeda sports must be a pretty big drop.

oh6ponygirl 02-06-2008 08:55 PM

Well so far it seems I have one for and one against.... With regards to my drop, It dumped it 1.75 in the rear on the dot. The front was more in the 1.25 advertized ballpark. I don't know if it being a vert would make a difference. Ironicaly I did call Steeda and the response I got was "go ahead and take them off if they bother you. There are stops in the shock". Since it is my nature to question everything, the more I thought about it the crazier that sounded. I may consider trying a set of Roushes on the rear....

PiggySmallz 02-06-2008 10:06 PM

i have the bmr springs. 1.75 inches in the back but i also have the tokico d specs. I haven't hit the bumpstops yet in the week i've had it

oh6ponygirl 02-07-2008 08:29 AM

Ok here are some pics (if they work). Is this similar to what you ended up with after the BMR's? If so, I can't understand how you aren't rubbing....

[IMG]local://upfiles/88377/5C90264E279E4E3D826774BF1A59FCAF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/88377/80329C02D4514CB39884121D664C2C0C.jpg[/IMG]

hogpowr 02-07-2008 08:33 AM

I didn't cut mine. No problems with bottoming out.:)

oh6ponygirl 02-07-2008 08:40 AM

Your another one who seems to have gotten by without any problems. I think I must not be praying to the right automotive god. When I try something thats worked without a hitch for everybody, it turns into a fiasco for me. Yay me! (sarcasm).Does yours look as low as mine?

PiggySmallz 02-07-2008 09:28 AM

i think mine actually sits a little lower, i'll get a pic tonight. Also I have the tokico D specs and If i remember correctly I think it said to keep the bumpstops, i have to check the instructions again when I get home

moosestang 02-07-2008 09:39 AM

I cut mine in half! There's a huge bump I hit at 65-70 and I have no problems. Mine still hit the frame, but I can't really feel it. The only think I was worried about was the car bottoming out, meaning my exhaust scraping the road, but so far so good.