Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Upgrade Installation Over Weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Suspension Upgrade Installation Over Weekend?

I am seriously considering installing the suspension and brake upgradesover a two day weekend and would like some guidance from those who have done it before. The work would be done in a 1 and 1/2 car garage with a concrete floor. In addition to the regular hand tools we will have four axle stands, a floor jack, external spring compressor, air compressor and an impact wrench. The 'crew' would consist of two 'senior' workers and one assistant 'more senior' quality checker. We have all worked on cars before.

The car will be a brand new08 GT and all aftermarket parts will be quality and completeness checked before the weekend. All one time use fasteners will be replaced. We will have a Chilton and Haynes manual plus all of the instructions we can get from the suppliers and have learned from this forum.

The Steeda LCA Relocation brackets will be welded in before we start work and the car will be rolling on the new 18 x 9.5 wheels with new tires. To ease the UCA install the gas tank will be nearly empty.

The work to be done includes installing all of this plus changing out the brake fluid and setting the pinion angle;
1) KONI front struts and rear shocks
2) VOGTLAND GT500 springs front and rear
3) UMI poly/rod LCAs and PHB
4) Steeda UCA and mount (555-4109)
5) Steeda PHB brace
6) Steeda Upper Front Strut Mounts, Ball Joint Kit and Bump Steer Kit
7) GT500 Brake kits including stainless steel lines and rear pads
8) FRPP anti roll bar kit front and rear
9) Steeda or alternate brake cooling kit

The objectives are
1) no one gets hurt
2) the job gets done right the first time

Does this look like it can be done or have I been watching too much Horsepower TV?

Should we do the back end first or the front end first?

Any specific 'watch out fors' or tips will also be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Upgrade Installation Over Weekend?

Should just take the better part of a day depending on how fast you work, breaks, etc.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 PM
HunterS664
1st Gear Member

hrm. just wondering why you would go with the GT500 springs? If they are specifically made for the GT500 the spring rates are going to be different than aset made for aGTdue to the GT500's weight diference. correct me if im wrong. idk just my thoughts
Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Hunters664

I have selected the GT500 springs as my car willhave a Roush SC with all of the associated extra weight on the front end. It will not bequite as front end heavy as a GT500 with the5.4 litre iron lump but close enough that I felt a higher front end spring rate was required. As far as I can find the VOGTLAND springs are the only ones specifically made for the GT500.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Hey Sonnier,

Your days must be a lot longer than mine

It took me several weekends (afternoons) to complete the suspension and driveline mods in my sig. I must admit, I'm overly careful andto over analyze thingswhen working on the car. Not necessarily a bad thing however...
Old 02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

He did say 2 guys and they do have air. Air tools make life so much easier than hand tools.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 AM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

i doubt you need gt500 springs, gt500 have an iron block and a blower, thats alot more weight than just adding a little roush blower on your car. but if you must steeda also makes gt500 springs, give them a call and see what they think since some of their cars with blowers use regular gt springs. other than that you can definately knock it out in two days if you know what your doing. i would do the uca first since its the hardest.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08

I am seriously considering installing the suspension and brake upgradesover a two day weekend and would like some guidance from those who have done it before. The work would be done in a 1 and 1/2 car garage with a concrete floor. In addition to the regular hand tools we will have four axle stands, a floor jack, external spring compressor, air compressor and an impact wrench. The 'crew' would consist of two 'senior' workers and one assistant 'more senior' quality checker. We have all worked on cars before.

The car will be a brand new08 GT and all aftermarket parts will be quality and completeness checked before the weekend. All one time use fasteners will be replaced. We will have a Chilton and Haynes manual plus all of the instructions we can get from the suppliers and have learned from this forum.

The Steeda LCA Relocation brackets will be welded in before we start work and the car will be rolling on the new 18 x 9.5 wheels with new tires. To ease the UCA install the gas tank will be nearly empty.

The work to be done includes installing all of this plus changing out the brake fluid and setting the pinion angle;
1) KONI front struts and rear shocks
2) VOGTLAND GT500 springs front and rear
3) UMI poly/rod LCAs and PHB
4) Steeda UCA and mount (555-4109)
5) Steeda PHB brace
6) Steeda Upper Front Strut Mounts, Ball Joint Kit and Bump Steer Kit
7) GT500 Brake kits including stainless steel lines and rear pads
8) FRPP anti roll bar kit front and rear
9) Steeda or alternate brake cooling kit

The objectives are
1) no one gets hurt
2) the job gets done right the first time

Does this look like it can be done or have I been watching too much Horsepower TV?

Should we do the back end first or the front end first?

Any specific 'watch out fors' or tips will also be greatly appreciated.
Hi Sleeper_08,

In a home garage without a lift this parts list will require the better part oftwo dayseven if you both know what you are doing and have all the tools and parts needed and EVERYTHING goes right. The usualissue is that the car needs to go up and down and that you can only do so much at a time with two people under the car. I suggest that you find one or two more friends that know what they are doing to run down the missing partsor supplies you find youneed halfway into the job. If you have to have all this stuff done in one weekendand drive the car to work on Monday make sure you have the tools and a spare body as a runner. Good luck with the install and if you need any helpjust ask!

HTH!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

ren274u

Thanks for the response and the suggestion on the Steeda GT500 springs. I'll check them out. Your other suggestions is consistent with what I was thinking - get the UCA out of the way while we're all bright eyed and eager.

F1Fan

I thought it would depend on everything going right. I'll try to round up some more help for just in case. If we can't do it in one weekend then it will be public transit for me until the next weekend!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08

ren274u

Thanks for the response and the suggestion on the Steeda GT500 springs. I'll check them out. Your other suggestions is consistent with what I was thinking - get the UCA out of the way while we're all bright eyed and eager.

F1Fan

I thought it would depend on everything going right. I'll try to round up some more help for just in case. If we can't do it in one weekend then it will be public transit for me until the next weekend!
Hi Sleeper_08,

That Steeda UCA is much easier to knock out if you disconnect the anti-roll bar, brake line brackets and have a near empty gas tank. you need to get the car up as high as you can and then drop the axle as low as you can to gain access to the UCA mounting bolts on the chassis up in the hump. You ned to get everything torqued before you shove the axle back up because you just can't reasonably get to the fastener with a long torque wrench with the axle in the way. The UCA is the only really painfull part of the whole project, the rest is easy and fun with a clean chassis.

HTH!

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade Installation Over Weekend?