Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering and control arm questions (gurus come on in)

Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 AM
MUSTANGLOVER73
3rd Gear Member

Default Lowering and control arm questions (gurus come on in)

Ok, i have a set of ultralite springs (i bought used off of here), a new set of Tokico D-specs (the $475 group buy on here), and am going to buy the steeda hd adj. strut mounts. I was quoted $475 by a local company to put these on and then an additional $80 for a front end alignment. They also gave me a quote to buy install metco brand control arms (adjustible upper and solidlowers) (price for both sets of arms is $580)and install them for $300. My question is how does this sound to you guys. Should i need the lca relocation brackets for this? I also have an aluminum d/s and they said they would adjust the pinion angle. Is there anything else I should do while they are in there that i couldnt do just as easy laterthat i have forgot? How does this setup seem? I am new to this whole suspension thing and i dont want a harsh drop and especially with my 20's. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I know we have some gurus in here
Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering and control arm questions (gurus come on in)

ORIGINAL: MUSTANGLOVER73
Ok, i have a set of ultralite springs (i bought used off of here), a new set of Tokico D-specs (the $475 group buy on here), and am going to buy the steeda hd adj. strut mounts. I was quoted $475 by a local company to put these on and then an additional $80 for a front end alignment. They also gave me a quote to buy install metco brand control arms (adjustible upper and solidlowers) (price for both sets of arms is $580)and install them for $300. My question is how does this sound to you guys. Should i need the lca relocation brackets for this? I also have an aluminum d/s and they said they would adjust the pinion angle. Is there anything else I should do while they are in there that i couldnt do just as easy laterthat i have forgot? How does this setup seem? I am new to this whole suspension thing and i dont want a harsh drop and especially with my 20's. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I know we have some gurus in here
Hi MUSTANGLOVER73,

First, ifyour wheels are fitted correctly youshould be able toloweryour car'sride height until the frame is on the ground. If your wheels have incorrect offset fix this first. For $775 I'll install all of your suspension stuff, where do you live? That is like 12 hours of good shoplabor locally and then you have to pay for alignment? Way too high! With a lift and a real shop you shouldhave the suspension done in half that time or less. They almost certainlyhave never done this work before on an S197 chassis, I would go else where.

Metco? Why not go with top shelf equipment like your springs and dampers? Are UCA and LCA's not important to you? Chances are you would be more than happy with the performance ofa pair of FRPP GT500 LCA's and pass on the UCA all together. You will have a much quieter ridewith less harshness than the poly bushedMetco control arms. For the Steeda Ultralites you don't really need to adjust your pinion angle and for your N/A motor car the GT500 LCA's will hold the axle in place just fine and minimizeany wheel hop you may have had. Also with this very modest drop in ride height you don't needLCA relocation brackets, you IC will be fine andrear axle steer will be nearly perfect with only one inch drop in ride height.

HTH!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
MUSTANGLOVER73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: MUSTANGLOVER73
Hi MUSTANGLOVER73,

First, ifyour wheels are fitted correctly youshould be able toloweryour car'sride height until the frame is on the ground. If your wheels have incorrect offset fix this first. For $775 I'll install all of your suspension stuff, where do you live? That is like 12 hours of good shoplabor locally and then you have to pay for alignment? Way too high! With a lift and a real shop you shouldhave the suspension done in half that time or less. They almost certainlyhave never done this work before on an S197 chassis, I would go else where.

Metco? Why not go with top shelf equipment like your springs and dampers? Are UCA and LCA's not important to you? Chances are you would be more than happy with the performance ofa pair of FRPP GT500 LCA's and pass on the UCA all together. You will have a much quieter ridewith less harshness than the poly bushedMetco control arms. For the Steeda Ultralites you don't really need to adjust your pinion angle and for your N/A motor car the GT500 LCA's will hold the axle in place just fine and minimizeany wheel hop you may have had. Also with this very modest drop in ride height you don't needLCA relocation brackets, you IC will be fine andrear axle steer will be nearly perfect with only one inch drop in ride height.

HTH!
i live in Maryland. Where are you located? I would rather not say the name of the shop as they are pretty big around here. ill pm you
Old 02-28-2008, 02:45 PM
MUSTANGLOVER73
3rd Gear Member

double post