Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT Convertible Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

Default RE: GT Convertible Suspension Mods

F1Fan,
Since you have chosen to address the convertible's structural integrity with regard to aftermarket suspension modifications, perhaps you might be able to give advise regarding a couple of concepts that I've been pondering over.

First off,goes the addition of a STB on a vert do anything, or is it as I've read in the coupe's case as being nothing more than eye candy and not needed on these cars. Or, going in the opposite direction, would the addition of one result in long term unwanted chassis stress by forcing it to flex elsewhere in a location it wasn't engineered to. The idea is a stretch I'm sure but I've been contemplating getting oneand am still uncertain.

Sencondly, you mentioned seeing verts with the FRPP handling pack and the adverse affects on the cars over time. This brings me to something else I've been wondering with regard to the new ShelbyGT convertible. It too is suppose to have the handling pack from Ford. However in every picture of one I've seen, they appear to be sitting consistently higher than any convertible I've ever seen with anylowering springs installed (including mine). While I have yet to get the opportunity to see one of these in person to do some snooping, it leads me to believe that Ford (or eibach), knowing the issues you've stated in your post, has engineeredlowering springs specifically for theconvertible.Do you have any connection through which youcould confirm or deny this?If this is the case, I would love to get my hands on a set. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oh6ponygirl
F1Fan,
Since you have chosen to address the convertible's structural integrity with regard to aftermarket suspension modifications, perhaps you might be able to give advise regarding a couple of concepts that I've been pondering over.

First off,goes the addition of a STB on a vert do anything, or is it as I've read in the coupe's case as being nothing more than eye candy and not needed on these cars. Or, going in the opposite direction, would the addition of one result in long term unwanted chassis stress by forcing it to flex elsewhere in a location it wasn't engineered to. The idea is a stretch I'm sure but I've been contemplating getting oneand am still uncertain.

Sencondly, you mentioned seeing verts with the FRPP handling pack and the adverse affects on the cars over time. This brings me to something else I've been wondering with regard to the new ShelbyGT convertible. It too is suppose to have the handling pack from Ford. However in every picture of one I've seen, they appear to be sitting consistently higher than any convertible I've ever seen with anylowering springs installed (including mine). While I have yet to get the opportunity to see one of these in person to do some snooping, it leads me to believe that Ford (or eibach), knowing the issues you've stated in your post, has engineeredlowering springs specifically for theconvertible.Do you have any connection through which youcould confirm or deny this?If this is the case, I would love to get my hands on a set. Thanks in advance...
Hi oh6ponygirl,

On a convertable I'd put all of the same chassis reinforcements aswould be used for a last generaion Mustang. A good STB (Agent 47 makes the only one I like, uses all 4 studs and has a boxed section over the strut towers and a welded one piece constuction) a G-Trac brace if your vert did not have one from Ford and a set of BMR boxed subframe connectors. I'd reuse the stock vert. braces under the LCA pockets and accross the tank and spare tire well only because nobody makes a suitable replacement that comes even close. What is seriously missing is a brace that is triangulated behind the seats or folding top well though I'm not sure this can be done effectively and still leave any usable trunk space.

I've driven a couple of S197GT verts with FRPP handling paks installed. They did not handle as well as the coupes did largely due to chassis flex and the overly stiff MultiMatic dampers. The springs were also overloaded and bottoming out more often than ina coupe. I have no way to know with any certainty what springs Ol' Shel is using on the Shelby GT Verts but to me they looklike stock ride height. They may have simply used the stock GT springsto avoid having Ford warranty issues. Next time I see one I'll crawl under it and have a look at the springs and dampers. Maybe I will be able to find the part numbersand track them back to see what they are using on these car. But I've only see a few, like two of themone was at the dealership the other was at the Montrose Saterday morning car nut gathering. Why would you buy Shelby GT Vert springs? Just buy a set of Steeda Ultralite springs and be happy! The car will be lower and firmer but not much lower or firmer so the chassis will be O.K. IMO. The problem is just with the much stiffer springs out there with progressive spring rates that keep rising, this is what will kill your chassis.

HTH!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

F1Fan,

Hi oh6ponygirl,

On a convertable I'd put all of the same chassis reinforcements aswould be used for a last generaion Mustang. A good STB (Agent 47 makes the only one I like, uses all 4 studs and has a boxed section over the strut towers and a welded one piece constuction) a G-Trac brace if your vert did not have one from Ford and a set of BMR boxed subframe connectors. I'd reuse the stock vert. braces under the LCA pockets and accross the tank and spare tire well only because nobody makes a suitable replacement that comes even close. What is seriously missing is a brace that is triangulated behind the seats or folding top well though I'm not sure this can be done effectively and still leave any usable trunk space.

I've driven a couple of S197GT verts with FRPP handling paks installed. They did not handle as well as the coupes did largely due to chassis flex and the overly stiff MultiMatic dampers. The springs were also overloaded and bottoming out more often than ina coupe. I have no way to know with any certainty what springs Ol' Shel is using on the Shelby GT Verts but to me they looklike stock ride height. They may have simply used the stock GT springsto avoid having Ford warranty issues. Next time I see one I'll crawl under it and have a look at the springs and dampers. Maybe I will be able to find the part numbersand track them back to see what they are using on these car. But I've only see a few, like two of themone was at the dealership the other was at the Montrose Saterday morning car nut gathering. Why would you buy Shelby GT Vert springs? Just buy a set of Steeda Ultralite springs and be happy! The car will be lower and firmer but not much lower or firmer so the chassis will be O.K. IMO. The problem is just with the much stiffer springs out there with progressive spring rates that keep rising, this is what will kill your chassis.

HTH!

F1 Fan,
Thank you for the very thorough reply. I'm glad you put your stamp of approval on the agent 47 brace as that is the one I was considering. Given the fact that it is more $ than any others out there I was hesitant to waste money on something that does nothing.All other STBs look laughable, even the ones from Steeda I'm sorry to say (heim joints at each end?????)

I first started off with the Steeda sport springs. The bumps were jarring which was something I might have been able to live with but it was just way too low (especially in the back). So now I have the Roushes. The ride quality is much better and it isn't as low, butI still feel these springs, like all the others out there right now, just aren't engineered for the vert. The only reason I stayed away from the ultra lights was the hollowed lower weight wire that I thought they were advertized as having. Given the extra vert weight the small common sense part of my brain told me that over time the construction of this type of wire may not hold up as well.

Which brings me to why I questioned the Shelby convertible GTs. Unless my eyes are decieving me, they just look like they sit "right" although they still look lowered from stock. Given my rather rural geographic location, I don't expect to be getting the chance to do some investigating anytime soon. I've even tried a dealer stock search within a reasonable distance and nothing... I have tried inquiring at my local dealership as to a possible tech line to answer my question and all I got was the deer-in-the-headlight look. If you ever come across a definitive answer or part # let me know, PM me or something....Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:25 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

F1 Fan,
Thank you for the very thorough reply. I'm glad you put your stamp of approval on the agent 47 brace as that is the one I was considering. Given the fact that it is more $ than any others out there I was hesitant to waste money on something that does nothing.All other STBs look laughable, even the ones from Steeda I'm sorry to say (heim joints at each end?????)

I first started off with the Steeda sport springs. The bumps were jarring which was something I might have been able to live with but it was just way too low (especially in the back). So now I have the Roushes. The ride quality is much better and it isn't as low, butI still feel these springs, like all the others out there right now, just aren't engineered for the vert. The only reason I stayed away from the ultra lights was the hollowed lower weight wire that I thought they were advertized as having. Given the extra vert weight the small common sense part of my brain told me that over time the construction of this type of wire may not hold up as well.

Which brings me to why I questioned the Shelby convertible GTs. Unless my eyes are decieving me, they just look like they sit "right" although they still look lowered from stock. Given my rather rural geographic location, I don't expect to be getting the chance to do some investigating anytime soon. I've even tried a dealer stock search within a reasonable distance and nothing... I have tried inquiring at my local dealership as to a possible tech line to answer my question and all I got was the deer-in-the-headlight look. If you ever come across a definitive answer or part # let me know, PM me or something....Thanks again.
Hi oh6ponygirl,

I think most of Steeda's suspension parts are about the best designed, engineeed and fabricatedon the market but the only thing good about the Steeda billet STB is that it looks hot. IMO there are almost no STB's worth buying in terms of actual structural value but the Agent 47 is the one STBthat can do the job. BMR's boxed subframe connectors are the onlyeffective fullchassis typebrace on the market as far I am concerned. Sure Steed and the otherfront control arm reinforcements are important but the rest of theassorted braces offer nothing to tie the open part of the vert's chassis together andare of no value even on a vert.

Maybe a stock coupe GT springs are the way to go. Do you have your stock vert springs? If so maybe you could mail me one from each end and I can get them on thehigh precision (0.00000N) digital load cell spring tester I have access to. I've alreadymeasured the stockcoupe GT springs along with Steeda Comps, Sport, Ultralite, Steeda coilovers in250lb. 200lb. and Eibach Pro-Kit and H&R Sportsprings. Fromtheinfor from your stock springs we should be able to find a good spring to work for your vert to meet your goals. OBTW, holow wire springs work and last just fine though they do take a set over time just like any other spring.

O.K. I'll keep my eyes open for an oportunity to definitively determinewhat the Shelby GT verts are using for springs. An easy way to find out though would be to go to the local Ford dealership and have a quick session on their parts computer to see if there is a different part number for them vs. any of the other known springs for the S197 chassis.

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

F1 Fan, your wealth of suspension knowledge is making my brain hurt (in a good way). A big thanks for offering to scientifically test my springs but a part of me really wants what those shelbys must have. I do have reason to believe they have something different than stock because some shelby verts posted on ebay show the window sticker and the ford handling pack is listed. In the meantime the roushes are ok for now. I went from just barely sticking a finger between the bumpstop and the frame with the steeda's to getting almost 3 fingers in there with the roushes. Hows that for high precision?

As for the chassis bracing the first two things that were on my list was the STB (which you already straightened me out on) and the lower control arm brace. Should I do the steeda or the CHE? The stock one is on there but it looks like something you'd make a lawn chair out of. The CHE has the 2 mounting points but I would assume steeda's raw materials are better. When I get a chance, I'll look up the BMR connectors you recommended.Since no one makes beafier versions of the braces that run under the rear end how do you integrate theBMR connectors which I am assuming are coupe specific? Thank you again for taking time to point me in the right direction.

[/quote]

Hi oh6ponygirl,

I think most of Steeda's suspension parts are about the best designed, engineeed and fabricatedon the market but the only thing good about the Steeda billet STB is that it looks hot. IMO there are almost no STB's worth buying in terms of actual structural value but the Agent 47 is the one STBthat can do the job. BMR's boxed subframe connectors are the onlyeffective fullchassis typebrace on the market as far I am concerned. Sure Steed and the otherfront control arm reinforcements are important but the rest of theassorted braces offer nothing to tie the open part of the vert's chassis together andare of no value even on a vert.

Maybe a stock coupe GT springs are the way to go. Do you have your stock vert springs? If so maybe you could mail me one from each end and I can get them on thehigh precision (0.00000N) digital load cell spring tester I have access to. I've alreadymeasured the stockcoupe GT springs along with Steeda Comps, Sport, Ultralite, Steeda coilovers in250lb. 200lb. and Eibach Pro-Kit and H&R Sportsprings. Fromtheinfor from your stock springs we should be able to find a good spring to work for your vert to meet your goals. OBTW, holow wire springs work and last just fine though they do take a set over time just like any other spring.

O.K. I'll keep my eyes open for an oportunity to definitively determinewhat the Shelby GT verts are using for springs. An easy way to find out though would be to go to the local Ford dealership and have a quick session on their parts computer to see if there is a different part number for them vs. any of the other known springs for the S197 chassis.

Cheers!

[/quote]
Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

F1 Fan, your wealth of suspension knowledge is making my brain hurt (in a good way). A big thanks for offering to scientifically test my springs but a part of me really wants what those shelbys must have. I do have reason to believe they have something different than stock because some shelby verts posted on ebay show the window sticker and the ford handling pack is listed. In the meantime the roushes are ok for now. I went from just barely sticking a finger between the bumpstop and the frame with the steeda's to getting almost 3 fingers in there with the roushes. Hows that for high precision?

As for the chassis bracing the first two things that were on my list was the STB (which you already straightened me out on) and the lower control arm brace. Should I do the steeda or the CHE? The stock one is on there but it looks like something you'd make a lawn chair out of. The CHE has the 2 mounting points but I would assume steeda's raw materials are better. When I get a chance, I'll look up the BMR connectors you recommended.Since no one makes beafier versions of the braces that run under the rear end how do you integrate theBMR connectors which I am assuming are coupe specific? Thank you again for taking time to point me in the right direction.
Hi oh6ponygirl,

All Shelbys are supposed to have the FRPP handling pack but this may vary with the verts. Eibach sels only one Pro-Kit spring for the GT coupes and verts. I don't know if the springs used in the FRPP kit are the same asin theShelby GT verts but as you say it seems most likely that Ford used some spring out of the regular S197GT spring inventory rather than make up a new set for the Shelby GT verts. When I get a chance I'll figure it out and post back.

Regarding the lower control arm mount braces personally I think the CHE brace design is O.K., good evenbutI personally would buy the Steeda part just because I know theybolt in perfectly to any S197GT chassis without fail. The same cannot be said for CHE products as we have had to reject CHE suspension products for fit problems so my confidance level in their parts qualityis nothigh at all. But if you happen to geta CHE brace that fits properly it should work just fine and you should book a flight to Las Vegas right away!

Yes the BMR boxed subframe braces are designed to be used on coupes. To use them directly BMR recommends simply removing thevert braces but I don't think this is such a good idea. I have seen the stock vert bracesaltered to fitwith some changes to the front sections of thebraces. But IMO it would be much better to simply remove the stock vert braces andgo ahead and cut and weld a few extra pieces of square tubing to fitin the stock rearbrace mounts and bolt to the BMR braces in the samelocations as they did stock but over the top of th BMR braces. While we are at it I would als propose adding a rectangular frame around thefolding top well and triangulate this to the frame structure of the bumper frame rails. You need a vertical element to really improve the rear section of the vert and the large stamped pieces that bolt to the spare well and the unibody frame rails is Ford's quick and dirty attempt at improving thestructure at the rear of the car.

HTH!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 AM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

Thanks again (and again....and again...) The steeda brace it is (its less expensive anyway).
I'll keep your underbracing instructions for future reference. Please do see what you can find out about the shelby springs. In the meantime I might float over to the shelby section of this forum to see if anyone has one and would be willing to give up some secrets.

As you say... Cheers!!!!

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

Hi oh6ponygirl,

All Shelbys are supposed to have the FRPP handling pack but this may vary with the verts. Eibach sels only one Pro-Kit spring for the GT coupes and verts. I don't know if the springs used in the FRPP kit are the same asin theShelby GT verts but as you say it seems most likely that Ford used some spring out of the regular S197GT spring inventory rather than make up a new set for the Shelby GT verts. When I get a chance I'll figure it out and post back.

Regarding the lower control arm mount braces personally I think the CHE brace design is O.K., good evenbutI personally would buy the Steeda part just because I know theybolt in perfectly to any S197GT chassis without fail. The same cannot be said for CHE products as we have had to reject CHE suspension products for fit problems so my confidance level in their parts qualityis nothigh at all. But if you happen to geta CHE brace that fits properly it should work just fine and you should book a flight to Las Vegas right away!

Yes the BMR boxed subframe braces are designed to be used on coupes. To use them directly BMR recommends simply removing thevert braces but I don't think this is such a good idea. I have seen the stock vert bracesaltered to fitwith some changes to the front sections of thebraces. But IMO it would be much better to simply remove the stock vert braces andgo ahead and cut and weld a few extra pieces of square tubing to fitin the stock rearbrace mounts and bolt to the BMR braces in the samelocations as they did stock but over the top of th BMR braces. While we are at it I would als propose adding a rectangular frame around thefolding top well and triangulate this to the frame structure of the bumper frame rails. You need a vertical element to really improve the rear section of the vert and the large stamped pieces that bolt to the spare well and the unibody frame rails is Ford's quick and dirty attempt at improving thestructure at the rear of the car.

HTH!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:06 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

wow... impressive.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

I have yet to find the answer as to what springs the Shelby GTs are using, but since my last reply I've been informed that FRPP is suppose to be releasing springs and handling pack specificaly for the GT vert (information that I hope isn't old news to everyone else). I was given the time frame of 3 months. I spoke to an individual on the ford racing tech line.When I asked whether or not the shelby GTs were already using this set up, the reply was that they didn't know. Iinquired how I could keep up to date on the release time and they simply instructed me to keep calling back.IfI don't have a convertible specific spring set in my handsbuy the first week of June I will be head hunting at the Ford trailer at Carlisle.Just thought I'd throw that out thereto any vert owners that are about to get into suspension mods. You may want to wait. The FRPP Tech line number is 1-800-ford788 incase anyone else would like to investigate.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
mlawdawg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oh6ponygirl
I have yet to find the answer as to what springs the Shelby GTs are using, but since my last reply I've been informed that FRPP is suppose to be releasing springs and handling pack specificaly for the GT vert (information that I hope isn't old news to everyone else). I was given the time frame of 3 months. I spoke to an individual on the ford racing tech line.When I asked whether or not the shelby GTs were already using this set up, the reply was that they didn't know. Iinquired how I could keep up to date on the release time and they simply instructed me to keep calling back.IfI don't have a convertible specific spring set in my handsbuy the first week of June I will be head hunting at the Ford trailer at Carlisle.Just thought I'd throw that out thereto any vert owners that are about to get into suspension mods. You may want to wait. The FRPP Tech line number is 1-800-ford788 incase anyone else would like to investigate.
NEVER SAW THE LOOP CLOSED ON THIS, BUT THE VERT HANDLING PACK IS OUT. UNFORTUNATELY IF YOU ARE SC-ING THE STB IS A WASTER AS IT WON'T FIT. ANYONE RUNNING THIS?