Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Gt Coupes w/KONI Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:26 AM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gt Coupes w/KONI Yellows

houstonnw:

I bought my Vogtlands from Sam Strano. I had the Koni's, Vogtland GT500 Springs, PH Bar & Brace, Upper Strut Mounts and Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets all installed at once, so it's hard to say what the springs feel like. Obviously, lower, but with a daily driver I don't have to worry about ground clearance, potholes, speed bumps anymore than with stock ride height. As I mentioned above, I can go around 20 MPH over speed bumps in neighborhoods with no problems. Personally, I wouldn't want to go any lower than the Vogtland .8/1.2 drop for a daily driven car. The cars stance looks much better IMO.

My car stays on the road so much better even in wet conditions. I can floor it while it's raining out (not recommended still) and the rear end stays put on me. I remember when I first installed my CAI & 93 Tune, the rear-end always felt like I was driving on ice. The more HP & TQ made the wheel hop in the rear more pronounced. So, I got an upper control arm and lower control arms installed and that helped out. Anyway, I'm very happy with my suspension! In fact, Iplan on keepingmy stock 17 Pirelli'sand Bullit wheelsbecause traction is great IMO, but when I get supercharged that may be another story.

As for adjustment of the Koni's, I tried driving on the firmest setting the first day I got everything installed and it was a bit too bouncy because the roads are trash around here, as anywhere else I'm sure. The ride was bearable on the firmest setting and steering was dead-on, but I tried out the softest settings and the ride is smooth all of the time and steering is still very responsive. With either setting my car handles more confidently and feels as if it's "on rails" (as others have posted).

To adjust your shocks & struts, all you have to do is use the provided **** and open your hood and trunk and place the **** on the metal protrusions and turn left or right. But don'tforce the turns once the **** won't turn anymore, because you might cause binding, as mentioned in your Koni instruction sheet.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:32 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006gtmike

houstonnw :

I bought my Vogtlands from Sam Strano. I had the Koni's, Vogtland GT500 Springs, PH Bar & Brace, Upper Strut Mounts and Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets all installed at once, so it's hard to say what the springs feel like. Obviously, lower, but with a daily driver I don't have to worry about ground clearance, potholes, speed bumps anymore than with stock ride height. As I mentioned above, I can go around 20 MPH over speed bumps in neighborhoods with no problems. Personally, I wouldn't want to go any lower than the Vogtland .8/1.2 drop for a daily driven car. The cars stance looks much better IMO.

My car stays on the road so much better even in wet conditions. I can floor it while it's raining out (not recommended still) and the rear end stays put on me. I remember when I first installed my CAI & 93 Tune, the rear-end always felt like I was driving on ice. The more HP & TQ made the wheel hop in the rear more pronounced. So, I got an upper control arm and lower control arms installed and that helped out. Anyway, I'm very happy with my suspension! In fact, I plan on keeping my stock 17 Pirelli's and Bullit wheels because traction is great IMO, but when I get supercharged that may be another story.

As for adjustment of the Koni's, I tried driving on the firmest setting the first day I got everything installed and it was a bit too bouncy because the roads are trash around here, as anywhere else I'm sure. The ride was bearable on the firmest setting and steering was dead-on, but I tried out the softest settings and the ride is smooth all of the time and steering is still very responsive. With either setting my car handles more confidently and feels as if it's "on rails" (as others have posted).

To adjust your shocks & struts, all you have to do is use the provided **** and open your hood and trunk and place the **** on the metal protrusions and turn left or right. But don't force the turns once the **** won't turn anymore, because you might cause binding, as mentioned in your Koni instruction sheet.
Hi Mike,

I went with the Koni's and stock springs. I found out that the range of adjustment is quite large when I misunderstood the Koni instructions and couldn't find the adjustment *****. Sam suggested 1/2 turn rear and 3/4 turn front from full soft. I managed to adjust the shocks 1/2 and 3/4 from full hard. The car was a, pardon the pun, bucking bronco at any speed. I was really concerned that I had chosen the wrong shocks/struts.

After I figured out my mistake and adjusted the Koni's properly, there was not much change in ride from stock. I'm going up to Texas World Speedway this Saturday and can't wait see the difference.

- Wayne
Old 04-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: ziperhead

I am running mine at 180 with Roush Springs.
+1

I have mine half turn from full soft, front and back, Roush springs on a vert.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: houstonnw

houstonnw:

My car stays on the road so much better even in wet conditions. I can floor it while it's raining out (not recommended still) and the rear end stays put on me. I remember when I first installed my CAI & 93 Tune, the rear-end always felt like I was driving on ice. The more HP & TQ made the wheel hop in the rear more pronounced. So, I got an upper control arm and lower control arms installed and that helped out. Anyway, I'm very happy with my suspension! In fact, Iplan on keepingmy stock 17 Pirelli'sand Bullit wheelsbecause traction is great IMO, but when I get supercharged that may be another story.

To adjust your shocks & struts, all you have to do is use the provided **** and open your hood and trunk and place the **** on the metal protrusions and turn left or right. But don'tforce the turns once the **** won't turn anymore, because you might cause binding, as mentioned in your Koni instruction sheet.
Hi Mike,

I went with the Koni's and stock springs. I found out that the range of adjustment is quite large when I misunderstood the Koni instructions and couldn't find the adjustment *****. Sam suggested 1/2 turn rear and 3/4 turn front from full soft. I managed to adjust the shocks 1/2 and 3/4 from full hard. The car was a, pardon the pun, bucking bronco at any speed. I was really concerned that I had chosen the wrong shocks/struts.

After I figured out my mistake and adjusted the Koni's properly, there was not much change in ride from stock. I'm going up to Texas World Speedway this Saturday and can't wait see the difference.

- Wayne
Going to use the 1/2 turn - 3/4 turn for racing as well as street?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS

ORIGINAL: houstonnw

houstonnw :

My car stays on the road so much better even in wet conditions. I can floor it while it's raining out (not recommended still) and the rear end stays put on me. I remember when I first installed my CAI & 93 Tune, the rear-end always felt like I was driving on ice. The more HP & TQ made the wheel hop in the rear more pronounced. So, I got an upper control arm and lower control arms installed and that helped out. Anyway, I'm very happy with my suspension! In fact, I plan on keeping my stock 17 Pirelli's and Bullit wheels because traction is great IMO, but when I get supercharged that may be another story.

To adjust your shocks & struts, all you have to do is use the provided **** and open your hood and trunk and place the **** on the metal protrusions and turn left or right. But don't force the turns once the **** won't turn anymore, because you might cause binding, as mentioned in your Koni instruction sheet.
Hi Mike,

- Wayne
Going to use the 1/2 turn - 3/4 turn for racing as well as street?
After spending Saturday at Texas World Speedway, the answer is yes. The car was so different, a lot less understeer. Since it rides just fine on the street and is now much better than I am on the track, I'll just keep those settings for a while.

-Wayne
Old 04-29-2008, 05:58 AM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

Koni recomended 1 turn out from full soft as an initial setting based on the spring drop and spring rate on the vogtland's. I have added 1/2 turn more to the rear. so my current setting is 1 turn out from full soft in front and 1,1/2 out from full soft in rear.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

I have my rear konis in now, and love 'em! My rears are about 1/2 turn stiffer as well. Roughly 1 turn front, 1.5 turns rear from soft.

Tom
Old 05-07-2008, 03:46 AM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

I just added staggered wheels and tires to the equation and know I would say I need a bigger rear sway bar to help out. I am running 285/40/18 in back and 255/45/18 in front. all tires are 26.97 in. ANy suggestions on a rear bar to go with the koni/vogtlland combo. I also have LCA's, panhard + brace and caster camber plates.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 PM
ILikeBond
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redxls
I just added staggered wheels and tires to the equation and know I would say I need a bigger rear sway bar to help out. I am running 285/40/18 in back and 255/45/18 in front. all tires are 26.97 in. ANy suggestions on a rear bar to go with the koni/vogtlland combo. I also have LCA's, panhard + brace and caster camber plates.
Resurrecting... I'm going to be running the same setup soon. Did you ever choose a rear sway and, if so, which one, and how does it compare to stock?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
JiminVirginia

Originally Posted by 2006gtmike
I JUST got my Koni's, Vogtland 'Leveling' Springs, Steeda Upper Strut Mounts, Pan Hard Bar & Brace and Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets installed on Friday and would like to know what setting people out there have the shocks and struts adjusted to? How many turns, etc. etc. Thanks!
I've got a very similar set up on my 2008 Bullitt, but with Maximum Motorsports camber plates, and no LCA brackets. All courtesy of Sam Strano (Thanks again, Sam.)

I run the Konis about half stiff, then turn them a bit stiffer for autocross and track days. I tried running the Konis much softer on the street and found that the ride actually deteriorated; the Vogtland springs and the Konis are not well matched with the Konis on full soft.

Quick Reply: Gt Coupes w/KONI Yellows