Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

WORTHY INVESTMENT ?

Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
MHGT
1st Gear Member

Default WORTHY INVESTMENT ?

Would it be worthy to replace the front control arms with the gt500 ( $195 ) and x5 ball joints ( $150 ) for the firmer bushings, stronger arms and improved geometry ? Would the geometry improve my front end roll ? The car really handles pretty good but there is still some front end roll that I can feel from the geometry change...... I am thinking that the change might allow the rear sway to help even more with the understeer ( it is not that bad ) but could be better.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: WORTHY INVESTMENT ?

ORIGINAL: MHGT
Would it be worthy to replace the front control arms with the gt500 ( $195 ) and x5 ball joints ( $150 ) for the firmer bushings, stronger arms and improved geometry ? Would the geometry improve my front end roll ? The car really handles pretty good but there is still some front end roll that I can feel from the geometry change...... I am thinking that the change might allow the rear sway to help even more with the understeer ( it is not that bad ) but could be better.
Hi MHGT,

Where is your understeer occuring, during corner entry, mid-corner or corner exit? Do you only have understeer whenin a steady state cornering condition or does it happen all of the time,fast or slow? What size wheels and tires are you running? Do you know the sizes of your front and rear anti-roll bars? Have you already installed the Steeda front control arm relocation kit? Whatare your front alignment camber and toeset to?

By raising your front roll center youincrease the front end's resistence to roll without increasing the axle'sroll couple. Thishelps the car roll lessreducingthe front tires camber loss due tochassis roll which reduces understeer. Raisingyour front roll center height will not change anything about your rear anti-roll bar at all, only the relationship between the front and rear roll center heights and the way weight transfer happens.

If you answer the first paragraph questions maybe we can help you better. You may be able to simlpy make an adjustment to reduce ourundersteer.

HTH!

Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
MHGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks F1... Most understeer seems to occur at turn entry, stock 235 tires ( new ones soon ..ideas ? ) on stock fan blade rims, 1 3/8" bmr front bar, progressive 24mm rear bar, no relocation brackets, camber -1.6, toe .04 ...... all info is appreciated.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:56 PM
MHGT
1st Gear Member

When I drive the car in turns it starts at an understeer and then feels as though it becomes nuetral and then tends to oversteer....I know that seems like alot of info but thats what it feels like. When I say correct the geometry with the control arms...I feel like the car almost sits in a craddle...maybe by lowering the pivot point at the ball it would tend to push down on the ball rather than pull on it as the suspension flexes....make any sense ?