Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rear sway bar & stiffer lowering spring ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:31 AM
king07
1st Gear Member

Default Rear sway bar & stiffer lowering spring ?

Ok last month I bought my 07 stang used spur of the moment without being able to research it. I have since added an MRT aeroturbine exhaust and learned the hard way about BBKs cai .[:@] So to keep from screwing up again I would like some input on sway bars and lowering springs.
First I would like to know if upgrading to the GT take off front and rear sway bars would improve my handeling any?Or should I only look at aftermarket swaybars? Mine didnt come with a rear swaybar.
Second Im considering a set of steeda lowering springs with 1-1.5 in. drop. Will these springs do more for handeling than swaybar upgrades and will I need an adj. panhard bar? I have 16 in. rims with 235/60-16 yokohamas. If that makes any diff.
Also any pics of lowered stangs with the 16 in rims would be apreciated.
Thanksfor any feed back.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default RE: Rear sway bar & stiffer lowering spring ?

I have put no sways bars on yet, only FRPP Perforance N Springs and it made a huge difference in handling. I haven't gotten an adj. panhard bar yet,but I did get my car aligned.

Here soon I will be putting on GT take off front/rear sway bars too, and that should make a huge difference also.

Just keep in mind, if you go with the FRPP stuff, you can't really screw that up.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Man alive. Best $$ spent.
Go for the 34MM GT front takeoff sway
with Prothanepoly bushings
and the 20MM GT rear takeoff sway
with the poly bushingsalso.
With a set of Roush rear springs and shocks,
the difference is night and day.
What was Ford thinking letting the V6 out of
the stable without a rear sway bar.
The handling is far far superior to the OEM setup.

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/982AF2D960C4486E89B7D3C026AD26E2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

I just ordered my front and rear GT takeoff sway bars and will be installing them soon so we will see how much of a difference it makes.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: vtmustangs

I just ordered my front and rear GT takeoff sway bars and will be installing them soon so we will see how much of a difference it makes.
Use the poly bushings all the way around and you willfeel a difference.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:05 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: king07

Ok last month I bought my 07 stang used spur of the moment without being able to research it. I have since added an MRT aeroturbine exhaust and learned the hard way about BBKs cai .[:@] So to keep from screwing up again I would like some input on sway bars and lowering springs.
First I would like to know if upgrading to the GT take off front and rear sway bars would improve my handeling any?Or should I only look at aftermarket swaybars? Mine didnt come with a rear swaybar.
Second Im considering a set of steeda lowering springs with 1-1.5 in. drop. Will these springs do more for handeling than swaybar upgrades and will I need an adj. panhard bar? I have 16 in. rims with 235/60-16 yokohamas. If that makes any diff.
Also any pics of lowered stangs with the 16 in rims would be apreciated.
Thanksfor any feed back.
If you are really interested in handling, you'll do sway bars and springs. Springs will increase your sense of what the tires are doing (degree of harshness increase depends on the springs you select), sway bars will increase your sense (and control) of what the body is doing.

Hard to beat the value of GT takeoff sway bars (Goooooogle for part numbers of the nuts and bolts you'll need for the rear bar); hard to beat the twofold improvement in lowering springs (improves road handling AND appearance). You won't need a new Panhard bar if you lower less than 1.5 inches.

Remember: the most important component of a handling setup is the tire; everything else is just an attempt to get the most out of its capability.

Good luck, and Cheers!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

Hard to beat the value of GT takeoff sway bars (Goooooogle for part numbers of the nuts and bolts you'll need for the rear bar);
Good luck, and Cheers!

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/5E7668496AB04C17B783F49DDAAF3DE3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-22-2008, 06:25 AM
king07
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info! 157db whare did you get your bushings from and how much?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If there's any chance of doing springs as well as the sta-bars, do the springs first (preferably along with shocks/struts - either D-Specs or Konis) and drive it a while. That'll help you decide just which bars to use front and rear, and bars are really the sort of thing to save for "final tuning".

In terms of controlling roll and affecting the understeer/oversteer balance, the front sta-bar typically has the greatest effect, followed by the front springs, rear springs, and rear bar. If you stiffen up the front by relatively more than you do the back, you'll increase the understeer. Adding more roll stiffness to the rear either makes the car understeer less or oversteer.

Since spring stiffnesses affect the ride quality more than sta-bars do and place greater demands on the shocks/struts, it's best to start there. It's also entirely possible that the new springs will affect the US/OS balance by themselves, so youmight want a different combination of bars than what you'd want if you just added bars to a car and kept the OE springs.

Norm