MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   S197 Handling Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section-121/)
-   -   Need help with tires (https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-handling-section/422345-need-help-with-tires.html)

1BAD3V 03-21-2008 03:19 AM

Need help with tires

So I need new tires, but my only problem is I want some that are good at the strip and will last during the Spring and Summer months. My car looks just like this, with these same rims. What tires would be good for my car, and are the only tires that fit these rims 235/55/17's? Thanks guys.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time.../WhiteGT-1.jpg

Norm Peterson 03-21-2008 06:01 AM

RE: Need help with tires

Do you know how wide your rims are? I'm not familiar enough with the '05 cars to tell if the ones in the pic are OE or not. But if they are, I think they should be 17 x 8, which is enough wheel for a 255/50-17 (which is also 27" tall meaning that your speedometer won't be affected). Any wider tire thanthat needs a wider wheel. Period.

Norm

1BAD3V 03-21-2008 06:33 AM

Yeah the rims are factory rims and I believe they are 17x8. So instead of looking for a good 235/55/17 tire I can now start looking for a 255/50/17 tire? Thanks man.

Norm Peterson 03-21-2008 09:04 AM

Without getting new wheels and/or involving speedometer accuracy issues, there aren't a whole lot of options. I find two tires in 255/50-17 at Tire Rack, and whether either of them is better than what's available in 235/55-17 is a separate question. Here's what I see at Tire Rack that has any sort of rating scores.

235/50-17 Kumho Ecsta SPT, Fuzion ZRi. I don't know anything about the SPT's, but maybe a search of this site will turn up something. As far as the Fuzions are concerned, my son had one of the new Beetles (got it used)that came with a set of those tires. They seemed to have pretty good grip at least in the corners even though they were sized way wrong (undersize) for the car.

235/55-17 I'd probably pick the Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Seasons over the MichelinPilot Sport All-Seasons. Can't find anything useful for the Pirelli that comes up on a search on this tire size.

Another option entirely might be to put together a summer or 3-season tire package in 18" and keep the OE's for winter.

Norm

Nuke 03-21-2008 11:06 AM

The link below should help you understand the relationships between your stock tires and other sizes. Also, tirerack.com and other websites have excellent tire specification info. And Norm's "the man" on handling and tires...

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Also, check my sig. I really lovemy Goodyear Eagle F1 All-seasons.

1BAD3V 03-22-2008 12:36 AM

Thanks for the responses guys, they were very helpful.

houstonnw 03-22-2008 12:39 AM

I went with the Kuhmo Ecsta SPT's in the 255/50/17 size. I had done about 10 track days on the Pirelli's with stock brake pads and the Kuhmo's caused serious brake fade on the second lap on a cold, wet day.

That was enough for me to know that they had a lot-more-grip!

Edit to add: They are within a tenth of an inch in overall diameter to the Pirelli's, so you won't even see a change in the speedometer.

1BAD3V 03-22-2008 03:07 AM

ORIGINAL: houstonnw

I went with the Kuhmo Ecsta SPT's in the 255/50/17 size. I had done about 10 track days on the Pirelli's with stock brake pads and the Kuhmo's caused serious brake fade on the second lap on a cold, wet day.

Edit to add: They are within a tenth of an inch in overall diameter to the Pirelli's, so you won't even see a change in the speedometer.
So you're saying the Kumho 255/50/17 tires are good tires for everyday driving and the track?

houstonnw 04-22-2008 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: 1BAD3V

ORIGINAL: houstonnw

So you're saying the Kumho 255/50/17 tires are good tires for everyday driving and the track?
Sorry, I missed the question. Yes, they are good for street and do very well on the track. I actually got the idea from corner-carvers.com. But most importantly they are cheap! IMO they are a bargain in terms of performance versus cost!

UrS4 04-25-2008 03:48 PM

I just put on a set of 255/50/17 ZR Riken Raptor tires, I have the same wheels as the OP.

Granted I have not done any lapping sessions yet, but on first impression they:

1) grip better and follow the road contours more than the Pirellis
2) are a heavier tire, but the pirellis only have 1/4 tread left and are narrower, sorry I didn't weigh the new tires, but my guestimate is around 31lbs
3) better turn in and stiffer feeling than the Pirellis and I had the Pirellis at 41psi
4) dirt cheap, $70/tire + shipping from onlinetires.com