Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Living In The City Of Potholes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Default Living In The City Of Potholes

Ok, as you can tell from the post, where I live and on a majority of my daily driving routes, potholes and poor road conditions abound. It seems that just when one road is getting paved, another is being torn up again to put in sewers or sidewalks etc. Potholes and road indentations only get worse with the amount of traffic (especially by buses) that pass over them daily. So, needless to say, my Pony's suspension takes a beating. There's no getting around it, I just try to soften the blows by driving cautiously on crappy roads.

So here's the question: is there any single mod or combination thereof suspension wise (excluding tires) that would either improve the ride quality or guard better against bad road conditions (or both) that I could add to my car? It's not totally necessary, since I didn't buy a Mustang expecting the handling of a luxury car, but I don't want it to suffer either at the hands of the awful roads that I have to drive on daily.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

[sm=thanx.gif]
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Living In The City Of Potholes

Tokico D spec shocks and struts are adjustable,I asked if anyone had done these with stock springs to no avail. I would like something like them, but they are expensive, too much to just try and see. I wouldn't go too soft, it'll bottom out quicker, but starting out firm and tweaking them towards softer daily could work. If the road quality around here wasn't so bad, I would get the FRPP struts/shocks/springs.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Ok, so softer than stock springs but not so soft that I'll be bottoming out all the time? That sounds logical, I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for the point in the right direction.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:36 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Regardless of the handling performance change (or not) the strut tower improves ride quality. Any of the braces from the convertable that you could get to fit would improve ride quality. A little bit of damping material (like damplifier from second skin) can go afair way in reducing the noise from harsh roads. I've got less than 5 lbs in the car and it'snoticeably quieter.

I have Koni adjustables on the front (rears going in soon), and at the softest setting they are similar to stock. This is on stock V8 springs.

Tom
Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to be installing the Tokico non-adjustable HP's soon ($294 delivered EBAY). I'm adding a CHE Performance lower brace that ties the strut towers together from the bottom. Some experienced folks have said that a lower brace will probably pay more dividends that a top strut tower brace, although I think I read that they are now being added stock. These are a pretty cheap add under $100 if you don't have. Then again you could go with both to really tie the whole front end together.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:58 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

im going to go dspecs with stock springs soon.. also tempting my fate with 20 inch rims on 35 series tires pretty soon here.. see what the pot holes think about that